Nebraska comfortable with title talk

i am tired if the "we beat ourselves" excuses........that assumes we had superior athletes, a superior game plan and over the top game planning......nothing could be further from the truth, we were beqten soundly by some all around superior teams.....drink all the koolaid you want, these kids talk like all they need to do is quit making mistakes, it goes a helluva lot deeper than than, boys!

I wonder, do you actually watch football? When two teams meet and they are matched equally it is often the smallest mistakes that can sink a team. Conversely, one team capitalizing on their opponent's mistake(s) is often the difference between winning and losing. Take the game against Michigan for example. We were trailing by 7 at the half and received the opening kick-off to start the 2nd half. Kenny Bell then fumbles and Michigan gets the ball on a short field scores a TD and then they're up by 14. The we had a punt blocked because the punter didn't catch the snap properly and that gave Michigan yet another short field and easy TD opportunity now the Wolverines are up 21. The we had a very ticky-tack "roughing" the Michigan punter called against us which then put the defense back on the field after they had initially stopped the bleeding. The Wolverines were then able to move the ball down the field and score a TD and now they're up 28.

Against South Carolina, Nebraska had a 13-9 lead. Ameer fumbles about 5 yards from scoring a TD and Carolina recovers. That could have put NU up 20-9. Then Taylor Martinez throws and INT inside the redzone thwarting another potential TD because to that point Nebraska's offense was moving the ball up and down the field offensively with relative ease. They score there and it's 27-9 and then Brett Maher misses a FG which could have made the score 30-9. That would have been a 21 point lead agaisnt South Carolina going into halftime.

The point: Nebraska's self-inflicted mistakes have sunk them. To ignore the flow of the game and to fail to put what happens into context, and simply parrot the same old, tired, boilerplater, "just about every team we play is superior in talent/athletes" reflects a level of pessimism and self-loathing that you should probably seek professional, clinical help with.

Post of the day right here. Seriously

I wouldnt even put Wisconsin much above us. We were step for step with them until yes, mistakes. I know some of the lopsided scores suggest we were taken behind the woodshed, but you have to watch the games to understand that that's simply not the case.

Nope. Hunter94 and robsker are the only 2 on this board who know anything about college football. The rest of us are just f'ing retards who are imagining everything we see with our own eyes.

saunders, you can only run around and pretend for so long that mistakes alone cost us wins. too many times we folded, just quit, not close losses, but embarassing losses, yet you want to talk of winning the B1G and a MNC after losing 3 great players off the defense and fielding a bunch of guys who have never palyed a down together on the O line........where the hell is the common sense and logic in that thinking? sure, i hope we will be better, but thinking we have a real chance at a championship is a little over the top.......other than Rex, we have no proven running backs and only one qb that still is suspect as a passer....it's your dream, enjoy it for now........

Never once did I say that. What I did say, is that this team kills itself, and it has costed us wins. The list of games that we've lost (or made much, much worse) because of our own mistakes, is quite long.

2008 VT

2008 TT

2009 VT

2009 ISU

2009 Texas

2010 Texas

2010 aTm

2010 OU

2011 Northwestern

Those are just the 1 score games we lost, where we kept ourselves from winning. That's 9 wins, and 2 BCS bowls that were in our grasp. That doesn't even include the other games we lost where the end could have been much different had we not self destructed in the second half.

saunders, you can only run around and pretend for so long that mistakes alone cost us wins. too many times we folded, just quit, not close losses, but embarassing losses, yet you want to talk of winning the B1G and a MNC after losing 3 great players off the defense and fielding a bunch of guys who have never palyed a down together on the O line........where the hell is the common sense and logic in that thinking? sure, i hope we will be better, but thinking we have a real chance at a championship is a little over the top.......other than Rex, we have no proven running backs and only one qb that still is suspect as a passer....it's your dream, enjoy it for now........

1. We have a junior QB who is entering his 3rd year as a starter.

2. We're starting to develop great depth along the OL.

3. We are deep, and I mean deep, with talented RBs.

4. We have, on paper at least, one of the deepest and talented WR corps in the Big 10 and probably the nation.

5. We're six deep at DT.

6. DE and LB are a serious question marks no argument there.

7. Our secondary, with the addition of Charles Jackson, is poised to be spectacular.

The point: We have some issues and questions coming into this season but then again so does everyone else. But we also have several bright spots and reason for hope and optimism.

thanks, you just proved my point.........potential, not proven talent.

College football is mostly about potential, not proven talent. You want proven talent year over year? Go watch the NFL.

lame response, expected more from you.

It's called the truth. Maybe if you knew WTF, you'd understand. But you don't. You're a sh#t and run poster. You post no evidence, make no compelling arguments, and call everyone who doesn't agree with your (misguided) world view a koolaid drinker.

• Fire 3

i don't have a problem with that, but do we really have to keep trumpeting how we are a talented national contender after some embarassing losses last season?

just keep it real with reasonable expectations......a 3 loss season would be good, if there are at least no blowouts......MNC, not enough proven players in the house to do that......

I'm on record saying that we'll probably be 9-3 again in the regular season in 2012. But I'm also on the record saying that if Nebraska doesn't beat themselves then 14-0 is certainly within the grasp of possibility. If Nebraska was playing perfect, mistake free, football in every game and still losing like they did against Wisconsin, Michigan, and South Carolina then I'd be more inclined to agree with your overall negativity-based assessment. As is, this team can get it done. Will they? Don't rightly know but the potential is there.

• Fire 1

It's called the truth. Maybe if you knew WTF, you'd understand. But you don't. You're a sh#t and run poster. You post no evidence, make no compelling arguments, and call everyone who doesn't agree with your (misguided) world view a koolaid drinker.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:snacks:

i am tired if the "we beat ourselves" excuses........that assumes we had superior athletes, a superior game plan and over the top game planning......nothing could be further from the truth, we were beqten soundly by some all around superior teams.....drink all the koolaid you want, these kids talk like all they need to do is quit making mistakes, it goes a helluva lot deeper than than, boys!

I wonder, do you actually watch football? When two teams meet and they are matched equally it is often the smallest mistakes that can sink a team. Conversely, one team capitalizing on their opponent's mistake(s) is often the difference between winning and losing. Take the game against Michigan for example. We were trailing by 7 at the half and received the opening kick-off to start the 2nd half. Kenny Bell then fumbles and Michigan gets the ball on a short field scores a TD and then they're up by 14. The we had a punt blocked because the punter didn't catch the snap properly and that gave Michigan yet another short field and easy TD opportunity now the Wolverines are up 21. The we had a very ticky-tack "roughing" the Michigan punter called against us which then put the defense back on the field after they had initially stopped the bleeding. The Wolverines were then able to move the ball down the field and score a TD and now they're up 28.

Against South Carolina, Nebraska had a 13-9 lead. Ameer fumbles about 5 yards from scoring a TD and Carolina recovers. That could have put NU up 20-9. Then Taylor Martinez throws and INT inside the redzone thwarting another potential TD because to that point Nebraska's offense was moving the ball up and down the field offensively with relative ease. They score there and it's 27-9 and then Brett Maher misses a FG which could have made the score 30-9. That would have been a 21 point lead agaisnt South Carolina going into halftime.

The point: Nebraska's self-inflicted mistakes have sunk them. To ignore the flow of the game and to fail to put what happens into context, and simply parrot the same old, tired, boilerplater, "just about every team we play is superior in talent/athletes" reflects a level of pessimism and self-loathing that you should probably seek professional, clinical help with.

And indeed Ohio States self inflicted wounds cost them the game against us. They would have crushed Nu had they not self destructed.

Great point! NU's offense steamrolling the Buckeye's elite defense for 28 pts (35 if we would have needed it) in the 2nd half was a huge self inflicted wound. They indeed should have crushed us.

• Fire 1

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:snacks:

LAKER.gif

It's always good to believe. What else would you have them say?

You have to believe you are the best, and are going to finish the best, and bust your ass to get there. If you don't think that, go home. You can't sit there and say the team lacks killer instinct, and then when they start feeling a bit of swagger, bitch and moan. To be the best, you have to feel like the biggest, and baddest dude on the field. I find it cute that the same people that bitch about this, are the same ones who bag on Bo for "the process."

And if we lost the first game of the season....

skinnyfat-ask-grace-2012-MONTH-GL0324.jpg

I'll consider it a good season if we do better than last season. At least make it to the Big ten championship game, BCS bowl game, somebody on this team gets in the heisman ballot. That's a good season

Am I the only one who thinks that the loss of Dennard, David, and Crick is a little overstated?

Don't get me wrong, losing David is crushing, I don't think that can be overstated. But Dennard was only himself for a few games and hurt the team by getting kicked out of one of them. Crick was never really himself and missed most of the season. I don't think we'll see a substantial drop off losing those two guys, but David was a one man wrecking crew. That's the big loss on defense.

Am I the only one who thinks that the loss of Dennard, David, and Crick is a little overstated?

Don't get me wrong, losing David is crushing, I don't think that can be overstated. But Dennard was only himself for a few games and hurt the team by getting kicked out of one of them. Crick was never really himself and missed most of the season. I don't think we'll see a substantial drop off losing those two guys, but David was a one man wrecking crew. That's the big loss on defense.

I agree. The loss of david is big. Crick got initially dinged against fresno, and wasn't the same after UW. Dennard didn't start playing until Wisky, and even then, he didn't hit his stride until MSU. I think the defense as a whole will be greater than the sum of its parts this year.

The loss of Dennard and David is crushing. That said if we get Osborne back, better nickel/dime guys on the field, and a step up in defensive line play (especially if we develop a beast at end or something) then it can soften the blow. Lacking game-shifting momentum up front last year was big and I think it's really the reason why we struggled despite having elite players like Dennard and David in the back seven.

I don't mind this kind of talk as long as the players keep it in perspective. The argument against this kind of talk isn't that we're cocky or arrogant or don't understand the game of football - it's that you run the risk of not taking things one game at a time. We could win our first 7 games, get into the national title talk, and players could get so excited that they lose focus for a week and lose to Northwestern. Or we could lose a couple close games, and lose focus because we fall behind in our own division.

However, as long as players keep their heads on straight and take things one rep at a time, there's nothing wrong with expecting yourself to beat every one you're going to play against. That's the mindset that championship teams have even before they're awarded a trophy.

I don't mind this kind of talk as long as the players keep it in perspective. The argument against this kind of talk isn't that we're cocky or arrogant or don't understand the game of football - it's that you run the risk of not taking things one game at a time. We could win our first 7 games, get into the national title talk, and players could get so excited that they lose focus for a week and lose to Northwestern. Or we could lose a couple close games, and lose focus because we fall behind in our own division.

However, as long as players keep their heads on straight and take things one rep at a time, there's nothing wrong with expecting yourself to beat every one you're going to play against. That's the mindset that championship teams have even before they're awarded a trophy.

I don't get any sense of cockiness or arrogance at all, so I think it is an amazing attitude. Hopefully it translates to the field and we flatten everybody we play this year. Literally.