Nebraska comfortable with title talk

Saunders:

This was an interesting statement you made...

Nope. Hunter94 and robsker are the only 2 on this board who know anything about college football. The rest of us are just f'ing retards who are imagining everything we see with our own eyes.

I cannot speak for Hunter94 on this --- though I get no sense at all that this reflects Hunters thinking --- but I can speak for myself. Your description does not seem applicable to me --- I rarely (almost never) am confrontational on this board --- and I cannot recall calling out any individual poster as a person --- I do differ in viewpoint fairly often --- and attempt to justify my position. I do not look down upon others whose views are more positive re: the NU program than mine. I also feel that there are many here (most, in fact) who know a great deal about college football --- and many more so than I.

One thing that maybe sets my perspectives apart from others in general, and likely yours Saunders... is that I think the passion that many of the posters have for Nu is so great, the devotion to the program is so great, and the desire to see the team and view the team as they want the team to be makes many see the team as being better/more competitive than they actually are. This is actually a something that I applaud --- devotion.

I am devoted too... a fan since I went to school at NU back nearly 30 years ago. Perhaps I am jaded and overly hedge to the negative. My take is that too many of the fans here see NU unrealistically as being better than they are --- projecting somewhat what they desire and conflating that with what is there. In other words, unrealistically optimistic. there are certainly worse things to be. perhaps being unrealistically negative --- which perhaps I am --- is worse. In any event, I in no way assert that i know football better than others --- and have never insinuated that other posters are in any way foolish. I don't think Hunter thinks that way either.

So.... Saunders, I never meant to insult anyone... and if I have, i apologize.

I apologize for lumping you in with hunter. While I don't really agree with how you see alot of things (lighten up francis), at least you take the time and make an effort to show why you feel the way you do.

Saunders:

Nope. Hunter94 and robsker are the only 2 on this board who know anything about college football. The rest of us are just f'ing retards who are imagining everything we see with our own eyes.

I cannot speak for Hunter94 on this --- though I get no sense at all that this reflects Hunters thinking --- but I can speak for myself. Your description does not seem applicable to me --- I rarely (almost never) am confrontational on this board --- and I cannot recall calling out any individual poster as a person --- I do differ in viewpoint fairly often --- and attempt to justify my position. I do not look down upon others whose views are more positive re: the NU program than mine. I also feel that there are many here (most, in fact) who know a great deal about college football --- and many more so than I.

One thing that maybe sets my perspectives apart from others in general, and likely yours Saunders... is that I think the passion that many of the posters have for Nu is so great, the devotion to the program is so great, and the desire to see the team and view the team as they want the team to be makes many see the team as being better/more competitive than they actually are. This is actually a something that I applaud --- devotion.

I am devoted too... a fan since I went to school at NU back nearly 30 years ago. Perhaps I am jaded and overly hedge to the negative. My take is that too many of the fans here see NU unrealistically as being better than they are --- projecting somewhat what they desire and conflating that with what is there. In other words, unrealistically optimistic. there are certainly worse things to be. perhaps being unrealistically negative --- which perhaps I am --- is worse. In any event, I in no way assert that i know football better than others --- and have never insinuated that other posters are in any way foolish. I don't think Hunter thinks that way either.

I apologize for lumping you in with hunter. While I don't really agree with how you see alot of things (lighten up francis), at least you take the time and make an effort to show why you feel the way you do.

No problem. that said, I like Hunter --- he loves his team and knows his football. Being lumped in with Hunter and most all of you is great as far as I am concerned. We all love the Huskers and would rather post here than be productive at work. We have a great deal in common all of us.... we're crazy fanatics.

Saunders:

Don't worry, I enjoy reading your posts, although I don't agree with everything you say, because at least your points are well thought out. Hunter just seems to bitch for the sake of bitching and posts nothing to back up his points. His one sentence posts about how this team sucks are seriously getting old.

you obviously don't read very well, i have constantly given my reasoning for my lack of enthusiasm for this team.......go back and read it. references to the weak O-lines and neophtye coaching is not beyond criticism, only having one proven great RB and one suspect QB is not beyond fact as well.........receivers who don't show that they can catch the ball consistently, a defensive line that was gashed for +5 yards often last year......yeah, those are key parts to any great team and a really competitive one........if you and saunders want to look past these things and forecast greatness, that is your perogative.......i just don't think you get to greatness in a short time with these kind of problems. if reality pisses you off, then so be it........personally attacking me will not make the team any better, but it may give you a stiff one... :leghump:

Saunders:

Saunders:

No problem. that said, I like Hunter --- he loves his team and knows his football. Being lumped in with Hunter and most all of you is great as far as I am concerned. We all love the Huskers and would rather post here than be productive at work. We have a great deal in common all of us.... we're crazy fanatics.

robsker is correct, although you might not see it that way, i am not here to make you happy or be a good little homer, i just see a lot of issues for this team and it is disappointing.........will they get better? yes, they really should improve, but the chances for achieving real greatness is unlikely. i, like many here, think we still have not found the process for getting there.......a lot of the coaches are so new at this level, even Beck struggles mightily. i have watched and cheered for this team for over 40 years, i have seen a helluva lot of football and watched all the changes over the years. this team is in a huge transistion, this will take time, there is a lot to fix and recruting is still an area of underachievement....relax

And I don't think any of the posters who fall more along my sentimental lines about the team are here to make anyone happy or be good little homers either. I think everyone when reading message board posts (myself included) needs to calm down and understand that the other person may have a legitimate point (even though we might disagree with it) This is essentially what has happened between robsker and myself--I think he's wrong, but he makes a lot of convincing points. We're seeing two different sides of the same coin, really.

I don't know, maybe it's the catastrophizing that goes one whenever the Huskers lose, or it's the overreaction when the Huskers lose that I can't stand from posters making the arguments the likes of Hunter94's (but at least give him credit, he always seems to be around here, win or lose--unlike some others who conveniently decide to show up whenever something bad with the team to say, "SEE I TOLD YOU SO.") But back to the point, the other side of the argument has a lot if not just as much validity in their claims as the side that I (and many others) so vehemently defend. Different perspectives (when backed up by a lot of good evidence) is what makes all of this so entertaining.

My opinion is that again, this team can exude all the confidence it wants so long as when they do make mistakes, they have the resiliency to make up for them and stay competitive. The lay down attitude that plagued this team in a couple of games last season isn't so much a result of overconfidence as much [i think] as it was youth and inexperience. If you've never been down by a lot and you've never had your mistakes snowball and add up (which tbh, they really didn't have much of in 2010 as they did in 2011), how are you supposed to know how to act?

I expect this year to be different, we're a team with experience who has been in rough situations before and who should now know how NOT to respond to adversity. We're all excited for the progress we hope to see this team make in the next couple of years. This year will hopefully be a step in that positive direction.

All of us are Husker fans. We love them thick or thin. But some of us are tired of the coach speak, that MNC's are just around the corner. We see the problems, as outlined by Robsker and Hunter, and see the shortfalls. We voice those and we are bad fans. But it could be the possibility that we see things as they are, not how we want them to be.

I have pretty much quit coming to this site due to that. I have lost interest in the conversation as if you do not follow close step you are an outcast, non fan and a negative nancy. Names will never hurt me, but reality is we have not done much since Bo has been here. There really has not been the improvement to support MNC and BCS talk. Until those things start happening, winning seasons, with wins that we are supposed to win and some we should have been short, then the talk can grow. We are above average, nothing more. Not on single team out there in the top 20 feel we can beat them or at least have a chance to.

We continously blame the kids for their lack of effort, lack of talent, inability to grasp the game plan, develop in the system, but fail to blame the one individual that is responsible for all these things. If after 5 years he can not teach the fundamentals of the game, the ability to control ones temper on the field, correct the continous Oline problems and to develop a team that plays together, when do we expect to see it happen.

I do not want to hear he is a new coach with a young staff. He built the staff. Look at Michigan and their first year coach. So what Nebraska hired Bo to do is possible, but we are only slightly better in 4 years than the first year, and that is a stretch in my minde. I see no real improvement and in my mind it all boils down to poor coaching, poor follow through and coaching knowledge.

Love Nebraska, love the team, but I still think we are being shorted on the coaching level.

Bo is definitely an extremely bright coach, one of the best minds in the game. But he's been learning on the job, I guess you could say, after coming from a star coordinator background, and even if he weren't it's certainly possible that he won't put together on the field what he is capable of. This year will be defining for him.

(Compare to Hoke, who didn't have a star coordinator career and was a longtime positions coach. He had eight years of head coaching experience at the lower levels before taking over the Michigan gig, and he turned around two no-name schools to some measure of success -- in Ball State's case, 12-1 at one point. He certainly had plenty of time to hone his craft with a fraction of the spotlight a HC at Michigan or Nebraska would get.)

That said the goal every year should be to win every game.

Hoke was qualified to be the head coach at Michigan, Bo good coach or not was not qualified for the job and is in the 8 year learning curve that Hoke was allowed. This may be the root of the problem.

Here is hoping we get it close to right this year. That we win the ones we are supposed to, play the better teams close or win. But that we see improvement on the field and in the coaching.

Great point! NU's offense steamrolling the Buckeye's elite defense for 28 pts (35 if we would have needed it) in the 2nd half was a huge self inflicted wound. They indeed should have crushed us.

The turning point of that game was Braxton getting hurt and put out of the game. If he had stayed healthy our offense wouldn't have gotten nearly as many opportunities to score and come back. You're right, we hung 28 points on them in the second half but don't ignore the fact that Braxton was damn near unstoppable in that game. Half the posters in this thread could have had a better game than whoever replaced him. We got lucky.

Everybody's luck changes with the wind. It's called football.

However, imo, to state as ironclad proof that without his injury Ohio State "would have crushed us" is ridiculous to an extreme. Especially as our offense simply steamrolled the Buckeyes at will the whole 2nd half.

Anybody can play the silly injury game. "If we would have had a healthy Fonzy & Crick our defense would have stuffed Miller & their offense!" Lol....there's no way of knowing that but many claim they do. Injuries are a big part of cfb and nobody gets a mulligan for them. Nobody.

Posters claiming they have a crystal ball that "proves" things are just silly.

you obviously don't read very well, i have constantly given my reasoning for my lack of enthusiasm for this team.......go back and read it. references to the weak O-lines and neophtye coaching is not beyond criticism, only having one proven great RB and one suspect QB is not beyond fact as well.........receivers who don't show that they can catch the ball consistently, a defensive line that was gashed for +5 yards often last year......yeah, those are key parts to any great team and a really competitive one........if you and saunders want to look past these things and forecast greatness, that is your perogative.......i just don't think you get to greatness in a short time with these kind of problems. if reality pisses you off, then so be it........personally attacking me will not make the team any better, but it may give you a stiff one... :leghump:

I never said there weren't poblems on team, obviously there are some glaring one's. But I understand that we aren't going to go from the Callahan years to national championship contenders in 4 years. I'm content with where we're at, not happy by any means, but content. Reality doesn't piss me off because this is about where I expected the team to be when we hired Bo. And me saying you like to bitch is not a personal attack, it's an observation.

However, imo, to state as ironclad proof that without his injury Ohio State "would have crushed us" is ridiculous to an extreme. Especially as our offense simply steamrolled the Buckeyes at will the whole 2nd half.

Not ironclad, but that was where things were headed. A touchdown that cuts the deficit to 27-13 can be the starting point of a comeback...if the other team doesn't nip it in the bud by scoring. 30-13? 34-13? At that stage of the game, things are over in a hurry if that happens.

Nebraska cut the Michigan game to 31-17 at the end of the third quarter. Why didn't that matter? Because our defense was struggling and they scored on the next drive to take the wind out of our sails. And then they scored again. It's really no mystery where that Ohio State game was heading if they had any semblance of life on offense.

The offense deserves a ton of credit but it was also an Ohio State collapse. Bauserman couldn't do it out there and everybody on both teams knew it very quickly.

Anybody can play the silly injury game. "If we would have had a healthy Fonzy & Crick our defense would have stuffed Miller & their offense!" Lol....there's no way of knowing that but many claim they do. Injuries are a big part of cfb and nobody gets a mulligan for them. Nobody.

Lol, we didn't have a healthy Fonz or Crick (did we?). However, we got to see 2+ quarters of what Miller did. The team they brought to play vs the team we brought to play. Maybe things would have turned around all on their own, but there aren't really any indicators that this would have happened. We do know that the injury was a dramatic turning point in the game.

You can theorize otherwise but as you say, that seems a bit silly.

Not ironclad, but that was where things were headed. A touchdown that cuts the deficit to 27-13 can be the starting point of a comeback...if the other team doesn't nip it in the bud by scoring. 30-13? 34-13? At that stage of the game, things are over in a hurry if that happens.

We had a lot of momentum our way before the injury to Braxton Miller. Him getting hurt definitely helped, but I still think we win that game if he stayed in.

It's kind of a silly argument, but that's what we do here I guess.

A lot of it depends on whether or not Ohio State would have converted that third and long with Miller in the game. If not, it would have been cut to a 7 point lead even with Miller in the game. If so, who knows? It was a one score game when Bauserman got his first full series. The tide had certainly changed before Miller left the game. There's no telling either way.

Nebraska cut the Michigan game to 31-17 at the end of the third quarter. Why didn't that matter? Because our defense was struggling and they scored on the next drive to take the wind out of our sails. And then they scored again. It's really no mystery where that Ohio State game was heading if they had any semblance of life on offense.

The offense deserves a ton of credit but it was also an Ohio State collapse. Bauserman couldn't do it out there and everybody on both teams knew it very quickly.

Lol, we didn't have a healthy Fonz or Crick (did we?). However, we got to see 2+ quarters of what Miller did. The team they brought to play vs the team we brought to play. Maybe things would have turned around all on their own, but there aren't really any indicators that this would have happened. We do know that the injury was a dramatic turning point in the game.

You can theorize otherwise but as you say, that seems a bit silly.

You just can't grasp the very, very simple fact it's "impossible" to know what would have happened without his injury, huh? Oh well.....

Look no matter how well you articulate your argument if it goes against what the other person thinks, most generally its gonna be viewed as an attack. It is even worse when you just spit out that basically the original idea is completely void of fact, or that an opinion is idiotic by how you respond. But my two cents are this, as a team we have a lot to work on to get ready for the season, but so does every other team in the nation. Secondly I never feel comfortable attacking players for being lazy, stupid, or any other criticism. They are putting their health on the line so we can gain enjoyment and I think they deserve all the respect we can give them. If you wanna complain about the coaches, please have some evidence about them, saying they are neophytes, or lack the ability to coach, back it up with stats that show how they are failing. Last I checked our team has one of the highest win totals in the last 5 years, our OL produced two top 20 rushing seasons in '10 and '11, and two of our 3 big name defensive players were hurt for large portions of the year, combine that with a change of offensive scheme, and moving from the spread 12 (BIG XII) to the brusier 10 (Big 10) it is going to effect the overall record of any team. Being negative about everything is your prerogative, but you can not be surprised when people who really want and hope this team gets to a NC in the next two years get mad at you.

You nailed my thoughts on it, Ziggy. I keep going back to one fact, something people can't dispute, whenever people question Bo's capability to coach - he has done something that only ONE other coach did in his start here, Coach Osborne, and that's win 9 games every season he's been here. You can make all the 'but-ifs... shouldn't haves... should haves...' arguments you want, but it comes back to that fact for me. You can make all the arguments you want about where we should be, and how winning conference championships is the 'next step', and I wouldn't necessarily disagree. But ultimately, and I know this is going to irritate people, but as long as Bo keeps winning as he has been, at least 9 games a year, he will be our coach. A vast majority of the teams in this nation would give almost anything for that kind of consistency. We have it, and some of our fans have to complain about that consistency. Point blank, that consistency wasn't there during the last years of Solich's tenure, and wasn't there during Callahan's tenure. It is now. I'm happy with what we have, and cheer the team on to only get better from here. I hope Bo finishes his career here. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.