ESPN: Erstad has Huskers in contention in B1G

Nexus

Good find. Going down further, Walter Villa has this to say:

6. No. 17 Purdue (29-5, 10-2 Big Ten, No. 10 RPI) at Nebraska (25-13, 7-5 Big Ten, No. 71 RPI)

158.gif2509.gif Haymarket Park, Lincoln, Neb.

When the Cornhuskers went to Ohio State and won two of three, the stakes got raised for this series. Although the Big Red don't have a great RPI, this is their chance to make a huge impression on the selection committee. Two great offenses face off as Purdue hits .324 (No. 6 nationally) and the Huskers hit .317 (No. 10). The pressure falls on Purdue, since mid-major teams aren't given much rope for weekend losses in games they are favored to win.

The part in bold should hold serve to two things this writer believes--that Purdue is going to win the Big 10, and that Nebraska is still fair game for the selection committee.

The later point seems to be a foreign concept for some of the chicken littles around these parts, so I just wanted to highlight that.

I'm sorry, I forgot how much you know. Your knowledge is far superior to anyone e. God forbid that we look at numbers and base things off that. Of course, we should base things off of someone that is trying to hype a series and get readers interested, not the numbers that have been there for years. Forgive us 'chicken littles.'

6. No. 17 Purdue (29-5, 10-2 Big Ten, No. 10 RPI) at Nebraska (25-13, 7-5 Big Ten, No. 71 RPI)

When the Cornhuskers went to Ohio State and won two of three, the stakes got raised for this series. Although the Big Red don't have a great RPI, this is their chance to make a huge impression on the selection committee. Two great offenses face off as Purdue hits .324 (No. 6 nationally) and the Huskers hit .317 (No. 10). The pressure falls on Purdue, since mid-major teams aren't given much rope for weekend losses in games they are favored to win.

The part in bold should hold serve to two things this writer believes--that Purdue is going to win the Big 10, and that Nebraska is still fair game for the selection committee.

The later point seems to be a foreign concept for some of the chicken littles around these parts, so I just wanted to highlight that.

I'm sorry, I forgot how much you know. Your knowledge is far superior to anyone e. God forbid that we look at numbers and base things off that. Of course, we should base things off of someone that is trying to hype a series and get readers interested, not the numbers that have been there for years. Forgive us 'chicken littles.'

Wow, Havok, dramaqueenmuch?

Perhaps you should strive to not be so maudlin about this team's chances--things aren't as black/white/simplistic as you're trying to make them. Then again, the real world never is.

Wow, Havok, dramaqueenmuch?

Perhaps you should strive to not be so maudlin about this team's chances--things aren't as black/white/simplistic as you're trying to make them. Then again, the real world never is.

Just eating what I was fed, that's all. But it's always the "doom and gloom" peoples fault.. And you're saying I'M emotional about this teams chances? mirror? Sorry that I've looked at the past requirements for an at-large and a team with our credentials does not fit that bill at all. I'd love for you to go through the entire SR era and tell me where a team with our credentials or worse has made the tournament as an at-large. Please.

there is but a small amount of hope Havoc....

This year the SEC is down (comparing of course to past years) as is the Big 12, also, Arizona St is banned from post season consideration and frankly, it does appear as though other conferences are down some also. So, with that in mind, with a series win over Purdue and "all" remaining series. Also a run to at least the championship game in the conference tourney and one does have hope. However small the hope might be, its still hope. Looking now at the Northwestern series, how large of a loss was that?

This year the SEC is down (comparing of course to past years) as is the Big 12, also, Arizona St is banned from post season consideration and frankly, it does appear as though other conferences are down some also. So, with that in mind, with a series win over Purdue and "all" remaining series. Also a run to at least the championship game in the conference tourney and one does have hope. However small the hope might be, its still hope. Looking now at the Northwestern series, how large of a loss was that?

Havoc--I'm not saying this is a lock by any stretch. Hell, even with a series loss to Purdue, as long as it's a tight, good series and DoNU gets north of 40 wins the rest of the way (including the Tourney) and doesn't finish lower than second in the conference and tourney, we'll get a hard look from the committee at a minimum.

Remember, we're one of the few BCS schools that's made money from NCAA Baseball, and our fan support and facilities are second to none. Yes, our RPI may be high, and we may have some bad losses (Northwestern), but we have some good wins (Illinois, K-State, Cal).

Also, politics may play into this--with all of the discussion from the B1G about how Northern schools are at a disadvantage and the deck is stacked against their schools (e.g. RPI calculation, scheduling, season length), a 40+ win brand name, ticket-selling program not getting a NCAA tourney bid won't sit well and will validate some of the bellyaching the B1G schools have done.

With a sport that still does its hosting at home sites of NCAA programs (instead of neutral sites as in Basketball), name cache and butts in seats make a difference still--perhaps enough to compensate for the weak-sauce league the B1G is currently (save for Purdue and Michigan State), but only if our kids do their bit.

Havoc--I'm not saying this is a lock by any stretch. Hell, even with a series loss to Purdue, as long as it's a tight, good series and DoNU gets north of 40 wins the rest of the way (including the Tourney) and doesn't finish lower than second in the conference and tourney, we'll get a hard look from the committee at a minimum.

Remember, we're one of the few BCS schools that's made money from NCAA Baseball, and our fan support and facilities are second to none. Yes, our RPI may be high, and we may have some bad losses (Northwestern), but we have some good wins (Illinois, K-State, Cal).

Also, politics may play into this--with all of the discussion from the B1G about how Northern schools are at a disadvantage and the deck is stacked against their schools (e.g. RPI calculation, scheduling, season length), a 40+ win brand name, ticket-selling program not getting a NCAA tourney bid won't sit well and will validate some of the bellyaching the B1G schools have done.

With a sport that still does its hosting at home sites of NCAA programs (instead of neutral sites as in Basketball), name cache and butts in seats make a difference still--perhaps enough to compensate for the weak-sauce league the B1G is currently (save for Purdue and Michigan State), but only if our kids do their bit.

Dude... we can only lose 2 games to GET TO 40 wins... a series loss to Purdue would be two losses at least, that would be 40 wins if we won out. North of 40 would be 41+.... not mathematically possible.

Cal we split 2-2 at home. That's not really a 'good win' but even if you count it, there RPI is 51, a high RPI. Illinois RPI is 70, KSU is 104. Those are not good wins.

We are 0-3 vs RPI top 50. We have 3 more this weekend against a team that qualifies in that range.

Trust me, I hope we make the tourney as much as or more than anyone, but our resume does not spell out an at large. Just looking at the numbers man, no emotion.

totally agree... numbers don't indicate an at large and in nearly every point you've stated I will agree with completely. However, there is one sliver of hope and that is the fact that both the Big 12 and Pac 12 are down. At best those conferences combined only have 8 definite bids. Does that equate into the BIG getting 2 teams in, probably not but "if" DoNU does win this series and the remaining series while also reaching the conference championship then we at least have a sliver of hope. Mostly based on our Northern location and avid fan base.

as for our future, I'm hoping that Erstad can somehow get home and home series with the three power conferences near us.

Say, Missouri (SEC)

Say, OU (BIG 12)

Say, Stanford (PAC 12)

Dude... we can only lose 2 games to GET TO 40 wins... a series loss to Purdue would be two losses at least, that would be 40 wins if we won out. North of 40 would be 41+.... not mathematically possible.

Cal we split 2-2 at home. That's not really a 'good win' but even if you count it, there RPI is 51, a high RPI. Illinois RPI is 70, KSU is 104. Those are not good wins.

We are 0-3 vs RPI top 50. We have 3 more this weekend against a team that qualifies in that range.

Trust me, I hope we make the tourney as much as or more than anyone, but our resume does not spell out an at large. Just looking at the numbers man, no emotion.

NU is actually 3-4 against vs RPI top 50. A bit better than 0-3.

NU is actually 3-4 against vs RPI top 50. A bit better than 0-3.

I did miss New Mexico State, but OSU (i'm assuming who you're counting) was outside of the top 50.. and will continue to fall. 1-3. now, 1-4