With plus-one Rose Bowl may shed more tradition

NUance

img18813827.jpg

To stay in national playoff mix, Rose Bowl likely to shed more tradition

By Dennis Dodd | CBSSports.com Senior College Football Columnist Tuesday April 24, 2012 - 3:06 PM

<snip>

In a four-team plus-one, the possibility exists of a playoff game in the Rose Bowl between Boise State and Boston College. That's just an example, but one that would make some Rose loyalists choke on their Merlot. Don't feel sorry for the Granddaddy just yet. Delany is in there fighting hard. Whether it came from him or not, the "four-team plus" contained in this memo earlier this month would have given the Rose even more preferential treatment.

LINK

Jan. 2 in Pasadena featuring Boise vs. Boston College? I wonder what our B1G brethren would think about *this*?? :lol:

img18813827.jpg

By Dennis Dodd | CBSSports.com Senior College Football Columnist Tuesday April 24, 2012 - 3:06 PM

<snip>

In a four-team plus-one, the possibility exists of a playoff game in the Rose Bowl between Boise State and Boston College. That's just an example, but one that would make some Rose loyalists choke on their Merlot. Don't feel sorry for the Granddaddy just yet. Delany is in there fighting hard. Whether it came from him or not, the "four-team plus" contained in this memo earlier this month would have given the Rose even more preferential treatment.

LINK

Jan. 2 in Pasadena featuring Boise vs. Boston College? I wonder what our B1G brethren would think about *this*?? :lol:

Well there was 2002 when the Rose Bowl was played in the Orange Bowl, but I suspect they were okay with Texas vs Wazzou.

img18813827.jpg

<snip>

LINK

C'mon NUa, Jan. 2? This years game was on Jan. 9th and the date gets closer to Feb 1st every year. Sooner or later it will be played so late that only the fans of the teams involved will care. Can't wait for it to get beyond 15 January and 20,000 crowd into a 100,000 seat stadium and the game gets a .8 rating on TV. Goodbye BCS you always were a big crock of... well you know.

T_O_B

C'mon NUa, Jan. 2? This years game was on Jan. 9th and the date gets closer to Feb 1st every year.

He's talking about the Rose Bowl not the BCSCG.

Yeah, but an understandable mistake. Since NU will undoubtedly be in one or the other---either the Rose Bowl or the BCSCG. :lol:

As a B1G homer I could give two craps about the Rose Bowl or who plays there. However, I do have a couple questions about the details revolving around the B1G and having to play at the Rose Bowl.

Why should the B1G teams travel into enemy territory to host what is supposedly a home game? Why can’t we host a game in Indy or anywhere else in the Midwest?

Also let’s say USC was ranked #1 and Nebraska was ranked #2, where would Nebraska host a home game against the #3 Team since #1 USC would host a home game against the #4 Team at the Rose Bowl?

As a B1G homer I could give two craps about the Rose Bowl or who plays there. However, I do have a couple questions about the details revolving around the B1G and having to play at the Rose Bowl.

Why should the B1G teams travel into enemy territory to host a supposedly home game? Why can’t we host a game in Indy or anywhere else in the Midwest?

Also let’s say USC was ranked #1 and Nebraska was ranked #2, where would Nebraska host a home game against the #3 Team since #1 USC would host a home game against the #4 Team at the Rose Bowl?

I'm pretty emotionally attached to the Rose Bowl but I hear you. If they had to do away with it I'd love to see some kind of new 'classic' established at Soldier Field.

Why should the B1G teams travel into enemy territory to host a supposedly home game? Why can’t we host a game in Indy or anywhere else in the Midwest?

I'm pretty emotionally attached to the Rose Bowl but I hear you. If they had to do away with it I'd love to see some kind of new 'classic' established at Soldier Field.

I don't know if sponsors would go for that. The point of the bowls was that they were played in good weather so it could be a vacation for everyone. I'd love to see the SEC play in Soldier Field in January though.