Question about college FB players and their families and the NCAA

Student athletes have access to tens of thousands of dollars in cash every year. It's not too hard. Check the link:

Remember, this excludes any money from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, the Special Assistance Fund, and any occasional meals provided by boosters. Monthly, football players are looking at $1,420 cash in their pocket without having to buy books or pay tuition and fees. Did you have $1,420 of cash every month in college? If football players were to work a job paying a respectable $10 an hour, they would need to work 36 hours a week for 50 weeks to make $1,420 before taxes to make what they get from their football scholarship and other available money sources.

Thouht this was a violation of NCAA rules.

T_O_B

G>B>R

http://www.holyturf....hin-ncaa-rules/

I would hate to tell you how long it took me to start earning $1,000 a month. $1,420 is only about $250 less than I will make from Social Security after paying in for 50 years.

Life sucks and then you get old and the Fed. Govt. really starts to F U. All because you are just one isignificant person and they don't care about you.

End of rant.

T_O_B

I imagine it's very difficult for the football players to support their children and families unless they have significant assistance from their parents, and/or their partner has a stable non-student income.

For those of you complaining about student athlete stipends, here are some numbers to put things in perspective:

From 2010-2011, the football program at UNL brought in $32,084,379 of profit (not total revenue, but profit source).

Assuming 85 scholarship athletes and a total cost of tuition, fees and housing of $28,580 per year for out of staters (source), that means they pay out $2,429,300 per year.

If you pay each scholarship player $1,420/mo for 12 months, then that is $17,240/player per year for a total of $1,448,400, bringing the total direct payments and education expenses to the players to $3,877,700.

Bo Pelini makes more than $2,775,000 each year, plus $150k for reaching a non-BCS bowl game, bringing it to at least $2,925,000 (source)

From a financial perspective, the university receives a profit of $32+ million while paying out only roughly $4 million to 85 players. That's an insane return on investment for the university, and if you add in the other expenses for medical and academic support, etc., they're still making a killing compared to what they're paying out. Even the coaches at the bottom end make several hundred thousand (or close to $3mil if you're head honcho), and if they leave the university for a better position, they face basically no fiscal repercussions themselves. Coaches can also get significant income from endorsements or other activities that are made possible by their positions as football coaches at a big university. Meanwhile the athletes get an education and maybe $17k in their pockets, but also face strict restrictions on transferring, cannot accept any endorsement deals or money that is made by using their names and numbers in marketing, video games, etc.

You can come to your own conclusions, but to me I think that giving the players $17k in pocket money in addition to a free education is still not enough for what they're providing to the university. I think that to try to call it amateur athletics is a joke.

Also to try to compare their low incomes to what you made as a college student seems completely irrelevant -- how much profit did you generate for the university while you were attending?

$28,580 is damn good pay for a high school graduate with no experience or skills other that the abilty to play sports. I worked for a company that made 45 million a year and my salary was $65,000. I had a degree and a proven track record and I actually started at $20,000 while i cut my teeth. By the time I quit, I was directly responsible for 1/3 of that profit, but it didn't mean I was entitled to that 15 million.

I'm not against the kids getting money to live on, but don't act like they aren't getting a fair compensation and a chance to "promote" themselves in hopes of moving up the corp ladder in the NFL. If they don't think it's fair then find a different career path. I know thousands of smart kids who would love a full ride and do more for their college through research and alumni donations than most football teams entire rosters. If the college doesn't have the chance to make money off those kids playing sports then there won't be any sports for them to play because the costs and liabilities wouldnt be worth it. Ask any of the 4 football leagues that have folded in the past decade.

I imagine it's very difficult for the football players to support their children and families unless they have significant assistance from their parents, and/or their partner has a stable non-student income.

For those of you complaining about student athlete stipends, here are some numbers to put things in perspective:

From 2010-2011, the football program at UNL brought in $32,084,379 of profit (not total revenue, but profit source).

Assuming 85 scholarship athletes and a total cost of tuition, fees and housing of $28,580 per year for out of staters (source), that means they pay out $2,429,300 per year.

If you pay each scholarship player $1,420/mo for 12 months, then that is $17,240/player per year for a total of $1,448,400, bringing the total direct payments and education expenses to the players to $3,877,700.

Bo Pelini makes more than $2,775,000 each year, plus $150k for reaching a non-BCS bowl game, bringing it to at least $2,925,000 (source)

From a financial perspective, the university receives a profit of $32+ million while paying out only roughly $4 million to 85 players. That's an insane return on investment for the university, and if you add in the other expenses for medical and academic support, etc., they're still making a killing compared to what they're paying out. Even the coaches at the bottom end make several hundred thousand (or close to $3mil if you're head honcho), and if they leave the university for a better position, they face basically no fiscal repercussions themselves. Coaches can also get significant income from endorsements or other activities that are made possible by their positions as football coaches at a big university. Meanwhile the athletes get an education and maybe $17k in their pockets, but also face strict restrictions on transferring, cannot accept any endorsement deals or money that is made by using their names and numbers in marketing, video games, etc.

You can come to your own conclusions, but to me I think that giving the players $17k in pocket money in addition to a free education is still not enough for what they're providing to the university. I think that to try to call it amateur athletics is a joke.

Also to try to compare their low incomes to what you made as a college student seems completely irrelevant -- how much profit did you generate for the university while you were attending?

A little more info that gives a bigger picture. Can't forget about those other kids! Data from 2010 but lots of interesting stuff for Nebraska schools...

http://www.fldcu.org/nebraska/university-of-nebraska-lincoln/

A little more info that gives a bigger picture. Can't forget about those other kids! Data from 2010 but lots of interesting stuff for Nebraska schools...

http://www.fldcu.org...braska-lincoln/

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to see the economics of college athletics, and the disparity between the average college and a big university such as NU.

I didn't do any thorough analysis in my last post, but I was only looking at the football program since they're the cash cow. It just rubs me the wrong way that so many people are allowed to profit from their play (e.g. recruiting sites, coaches), and yet some people get up in arms when the actual players are paid anything beyond the tuition/housing expenses.

they get an education many wouldnt otherwise get unless they had football talent. its a shame a student can work part time and go to school and get less than these players get monthly. its a fair trade off. aaaaand these guys get celebrity treatment, tutors, free food, free housing.

if i had a kid....or multiple, i would have had to drop out. get real guys.