for what it's worth

Bakhal

better recruiting doesn't always mean better results

That's debateable from a alot of different angles, but one thing you brought up that is a constant variable is the fact that those rankings in 2002, 2003, 2004 were based on those recruits who were junior and seniors on those years.

The more you run an offense, the better the players pick it up, there's no denying that fact and the reason why Iowa started showing improvements when it's players understood the offense inside and out

It wasn't just Solich that couldn't recruit,

:wtf

Hmmm.... from Huskers.com:

In his 24 years on the Husker staff, Solich has been one of the nation's top recruiters. As an assistant, Solich primarily recruited the eastern part of the United States, but he also has recruiting experience in the Midwest. He has routinely brought prep All-America players to the Heartland. Many players Solich recruited to Nebraska have gone on to professional careers, including Irving Fryar, Mike Rozier, Brian Washington, Mike Croel, Tyrone Legette, Donta Jones, Doug Colman, Christian Peter and Jason Peter. Solich's ability to bring top talent to Lincoln is evident in his first five recruiting classes as head coach, which have included 57 prep All-Americans and players from 26 states, plus Canada, Finland and Germany. Four of his first five classes have been ranked in the nation's top 20.

Here are the rankings for NU in the late 90's. Keep in mind that the ranks are where NU was ranked after the season was over. For example, if a 1997 class shows 11th, that means the recruiting class coming in for 1998 was ranked 11

These rankings are from National top 100 recruiting website which is no longer being updated. These are rankings based on a recruiting guru who ironically was flushed out when sites like Rivals and Scout popped up

1997 recruiting class (after 96 season-Osborne):

Top 15 Recruiting Classes (as of 2/9/97)

1. Florida St 8 NT 100, 3 OAA Incredible finish by nabbing Warren, Minor

2. Penn State 7 NT 100, 7 OAA Paterno recruits early and it pays off

3. Michigan 7 NT 100, 7 OAA Started early and kept rolling

4. Florida 6 NT 100, 6 OAA Spurrier replaces key losses

5. Tennessee 4 NT 100, 3 OAA Listed No.1 by Lemming by signing stars

6. Colorado 4 NT 100, 6 OAA This class may finally beat Nebraska

7. Texas 4 NT 100, 4 OAA Mackovic's best class by far

8. North Carolina 4 NT 100, 2 OAA Recruited some great athletes

9. Notre Dame 5 NT 100, 6 OAA Davie proves he can recruit his way

10. USC 4 NT 100, 6 OAA Simmons, Perry, Mackenzie, Moreno

11. Alabama 3 NT 100, 6 OAA Finished strong for first year coach

12. LSU 5 NT 100, 5 OAA Recruited their own state well

13. Ohio State 4 NT 100, 7 OAA Down year by Buckeye standards but still good

14. Texas A&M 2 NT 100, 6 OAA Good class considering poor season

15. Nebraska 3 NT 100, 3 OAA Business as usual for Osborne

*NT means National Top 100. OAA means Other All Americans

1998 recruiting class:

1. Notre Dame 11 NT 100 8 OAA

2. UCLA 6 NT 100 13 OAA

3. Michigan 6 NT 100 9 OAA

4. Georgia 7 NT 100 10 OAA

5. Florida 6 NT 100 11 OAA

6. Florida St 7 NT 100 5 OAA

7. Penn State 5 NT 100 7 OAA

8. North Carolina 4 NT 100 6 OAA

9. Alabama 4 NT 100 5 OAA

10. Tennessee 4 NT 100 6 OAA

11. Ohio State 5 NT 100 5 OAA

12. LSU 3 NT 100 6 OAA

13. Nebraska 1 NT 100 8 OAA -Osborne final class

14. Texas 3 NT 100 6 OAA

15. Michigan St 2 NT 100 4 OAA

1998 recruiting class:

1. Texas 8 NT 100 9 OAA

Getting Chris Simms away from Tennessee solidified their No.1 ranking

2. Ohio State 4 NT 100 10 OAA

Signed most of Ohio's top prospects including Crosby and Lindsay

3. Notre Dame 4 NT 100 10 OAA

Great class was offset by the stunning loss of C.J. Leak to Wake Forest

4. Texas A&M 6 NT 100 9 OAA

Signing Joe Weber away from the California schools was huge

5. UCLA 6 NT 100 5 OAA

5 Parade All-Americans gives Toledo his 2nd straight top 5 class

6. Alabama 6 NT 100 8 OAA

Has rebounded from NCAA sanctions in a big way; Paine topped it off

7. Michigan 4 NT 100 10 OAA

Quietly signed a solid class led by Charles Drake and Jeremy LeSeuer

8. LSU 5 NT 100 4 OAA

One of the best classes ever for a 4-7 team; James, Faulk could dominate

9. Georgia 4 NT 100 6 OAA

One of the best WR classes ever with Brown, Robinson, and Johnson

10. Florida 3 NT 100 12 OAA

Finished strong after a slow start; 2 top QBs in Grossman and Stephens

11. Florida St 6 NT 100 4 OAA

Small but maybe the best 11-man class ever with Boldin, Maddox, Dockett

12. Miami 4 NT 100 6 OAA

The Canes are on the way back as they dominated in South Florida

13. USC 4 NT 100 8 OAA

Stunned the recruiting world by getting Bernard Riley away from UCLA

14. Tennessee 4 NT 100 6 OAA

Losing Simms hurt, but the Vols signed the top DL class in the nation

15. North Carolina 3 NT 100 3 OAA

Torbush proves the Heels can recruit without Mack Brown

NU finished 27th that year with Frank Solich

2000 recruiting class:

(as of 2/9/00)-Solich second class

1. Florida 8 NT 100 11 OAA

One of the best finishes in recruiting history gives the Gators the top group

2. Tennessee 8 NT 100 10 OAA

The most complete and balanced class in the country for Fulmer

3. Penn State 6 NT 100 10 OAA

Paterno had most of these guys in the fold long ago

4. Texas 7 NT 100 7 OAA

Do you think Mack Brown has made an impact at Texas? What can you say about the WR!

5. Florida St 9 NT 100 3 OAA

Another typical fast finish; Bobby's pretty good at this stuff

6. Alabama 6 NT 100 6 OAA

The DL and DB groups were stunning to say the least

7. Ohio State 5 NT 100 7 OAA

It seems they are around the top 5 every year; Maldonado is big-time

8. Nebraska 2 NT 100 9 OAA

Lost Holiday and Mayes on signing day, but still a great group for Solich

9. Miami 6 NT 100 3 OAA

D.J. Williams finally signs and makes this class Davis' best

10. Notre Dame 4 NT 100 4 OAA

4 QBs? The Irish should have no trouble finding a QB now with the nation's top group

11. USC 3 NT 100 6 OAA

Did very well on the West coast by keeping everyone at home this year

12. Michigan St 4 NT 100 2 OAA

The Big Ten better get ready for Charles Rogers

13. Arizona St 3 NT 100 5 OAA

Great trio in Walter, Suggs, and Williams

14. UCLA 3 NT 100 5 OAA

Holding off everyone for Emanuel was big; Perry will be a good one

15. Georgia Tech 1 NT 100 6 OAA

2 good QBs and 1 great LB give the Yellow Jackets a strong class

2001: 38th (according to National top100)-Solich third class

2002: 40th (according to rivals)-Solich 4th class

2003: 42nd (according to rivals)-Solich 5th class

2004: 27th (according to rivals)-Solich final class/Callahan recruits

To make things worse, many of the offensive players in that group were recruited to play option heavy offense that is 180 degrees from the type of offense they are now playing. The point is those of you who believe that Billy c was handed handed the keys to the ferrari are really not paying close attention.

Isn't part of what would make a coach "good" be to check the available talent pool and try and work something out that plays to thier strengths instead of insisting on "his system" regardless of what is available talent wise???

Callahan reminds me of the coach opposing Henry Winkler in "The Waterboy", all he has is his playbook. Anything not in there doesn't exist.

Sorry but everyone who thinks you should work with what you got is wrong. That's just my opinion. Callahan is trying to install and SELL his own system to recruits. How is he suppose to do that if he's going to bow down to what he has? We are trying to send a message that there is a offensive change happening in Lincoln to recruits, not give them more ideas that we are just adding in a few more passing plays and still running a run based offense.

Anyone who thinks Callahan would have gotton the recruits he did last year by tailoring to his players needs is just a moron, plain and simple. That isn't directed at anyone in particular in this thread, just people who believe that concept

Sorry but everyone who thinks you should work with what you got is wrong. That's just my opinion. Callahan is trying to install and SELL his own system to recruits. How is he suppose to do that if he's going to bow down to what he has? We are trying to send a message that there is a offensive change happening in Lincoln to recruits, not give them more ideas that we are just adding in a few more passing plays and still running a run based offense.

Anyone who thinks Callahan would have gotton the recruits he did last year by tailoring to his players needs is just a moron, plain and simple. That isn't directed at anyone in particular in this thread, just people who believe that concept

Then we disagree, I guess I see a good coach as someone who works with what is available to them. Not someone who doesn't care what is available but pushes on anyways because that is what "the book" says. What happens if we get a couple crap WR recruiting seasons in the future but we have a stud at RB (or vise versa), should we keep tossing the ball because that is what the system calls for?

I would think the recruits would see it more along the lines of "My god he sticks with this system no matter how badly its working (or not)". I think trying to work with the talent would have been far better then the hole we are currently in, sure couldn't have been worse. I can't imagine that the current state of affairs will do wonders for the recruiting either so which is worse the devil you know or the devil you don't know.

Sorry but everyone who thinks you should work with what you got is wrong. That's just my opinion.  Callahan is trying to install and SELL his own system to recruits. How is he suppose to do that if he's going to bow down to what he has? We are trying to send a message that there is a offensive change happening in Lincoln to recruits, not give them more ideas that we are just adding in a few more passing plays and still running a run based offense.

Then we disagree, I guess I see a good coach as someone who works with what is available to them. Not someone who doesn't care what is available but pushes on anyways because that is what "the book" says. What happens if we get a couple crap WR recruiting seasons in the future but we have a stud at RB (or vise versa), should we keep tossing the ball because that is what the system calls for?

I would think the recruits would see it more along the lines of "My god he sticks with this system no matter how badly its working (or not)". I think trying to work with the talent would have been far better then the hole we are currently in, sure couldn't have been worse. I can't imagine that the current state of affairs will do wonders for the recruiting either so which is worse the devil you know or the devil you don't know.

When you are trying to get the offense going and installed, that's different then when it's been in place for 20+ years and trying to work around it because something isn't working, like WR's who can't catch balls.

It's a double edged sword that cuts both ways.

Here is how I see it.

Marlon Lucky will eventually develop into a great back. Just look at what Brandon Jackson (another "prized" recruit) did on kick off returns and compare that to Marlon Lucky in the last two weeks. Don't get me wrong, I like Brandon Jackson, it's just that he was a lousy kick returner and hesitated too much. I would like to see him run the ball a little more, but I don't think it will happen because of Cory Ross getting the majority of the playing time and Cody Glenn for short yardage.

We do have great talent. It's just that Bill Callahan seems to me like he wants to run a little too much West Coast Offense. There have been MANY times it has been 2nd down and 4 or something like that and he passes. Pass falls incomplete and we pass it again. Pass falls incomplete and here comes Sam Koch booting another one inside the 20. We need to run the ball on 2nd and 4 and gain a couple yards to make it 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1. Then we need to run it again on 3rd WITH CORY ROSS! Cody Glenn is great and all, but Cory Ross is a senior and if he can't get 1 yard one 1 play, we definitely have some HUGE problems on the offensive line. Our players are also recruited to get yards on the ground, so we should be able to convert a 3rd and 1. We need to spend some scholarships on the O-Line. Lydon Murtha getting 3 false starts per game does not cut it. The worst thing about the weak line is that the weakest part is on the left side, Taylor's blind side. If it were the right side, he could at least see the guy coming and attempt to dodge him.

Back into recruiting. Our new players this year will have experience come next year. Zack Bowman might be able to cover someone, Steve Octavien will be healthy, Marlon Lucky will have gotten stronger and I wouldn't rule out him starting next year. Chris Brooks and Frantz Hardy can get used to the system and be able to run routes without even thinking about it. Congdon will not be under as much pressure. etc. etc.

The players that have committed already include:

5 Star DB Andre Jones (another Junior College 5 star DB...)

4 Star QB Josh Freeman Height is 6'6"! Runs a 4.75 40.

4 Star DE Rulon Davis

4 Star OL D.J. Jones

3 Star OL Rick Henry

Both OL are from Omaha. Those are the only two linemen in our commits list. We need more, but there is PLENTY of time. We have more commits of course. I just didn't fell like listing them.

Overall, this recruiting class doesn't look too bad so far. I loved Frank Solich, and was very much against his firing. I think we should give our new players recruited for the West Coast System a chance to develop though. However, if we do not get to a bowl this year and again next year, I will start to become even more angry with Stevie P. Bill Callahan has not impressed me yet, but I think he better bring a winning season soon or there are going to be many more fans like myself who are very unhappy with him.

Lydon Murtha getting 3 false starts per game does not cut it

I hear what you are saying, but just want to point out that Murtha has had 1 shoulder surgery and 3 or 4 knee surgeries the past 12 months. Plus he's only started 2 games this season and played a few snaps in another during the Pitts game.

Hard to gauge whether he is a good player or bad player at this point because of to many tangibles.

Marlon Lucky will have gotten stronger and I wouldn't rule out him starting next year

Of course he will start next year barring and injuries, trouble, or anything of the sort. BC has to start getting his recruits on the field to show what he has done. BJax has seen the field very little this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if he left, hopefully he doesn't. I just don't see Glenn being and everydown IB or HB or whatever they call them now. Maybe some type of hybrid FB/IB, or have him and Lucky on the field at the same time.

Maybe they can turn it into a thunder and lightning thing with them like USC has with Bush and White.

Lydon Murtha getting 3 false starts per game does not cut it

I hear what you are saying, but just want to point out that Murtha has had 1 shoulder surgery and 3 or 4 knee surgeries the past 12 months. Plus he's only started 2 games this season and played a few snaps in another during the Pitts game.

Hard to gauge whether he is a good player or bad player at this point because of to many tangibles.

I would much rather see Murtha on the field that Cornhead. Murtha can make the same mistakes Thomas did. At least we are getting experience for the young players and the future.