Abbott Sports Complex, Maggie Griffin teaming up

Abbott Sports Complex, Maggie Griffin teaming up

Here’s an interesting piece of trivia for you. Of the 50 states in America, which one produces more Division I college volleyball players per capita than anyone else in the United States? Pat yourself on the back if you answered Nebraska, and don’t apologize for knowing the source of that information … a Lincoln-based volleyball website launched by Rich Kern, whose site is used by 99 percent of the nation’s college coaches. “It’s an amazing fact, but I’m not surprised,” Nebraska Volleyball Coach John Cook said. “Look at our (2012) Big Ten championship team. We started three Nebraska kids this past season. Iowa State (coached by NU All-American Christy Johnson) also started three Nebraskans, and they were one swing away from making the Final Four last year. Other Big 12 schools still come in and recruit Nebraska girls, too, because they’re well trained and well coached. They know and understand the game and play hard.”

We bring all of this up for one reason. The primary feeder system of Nebraska’s top volleyball talent took a giant step forward recently when former Husker setter Maggie Griffin signed an agreement for her Volleyball Club Nebraska (vcNebraska) to rent the four suspended volleyball courts at Lincoln’s Abbott Sports Complex five nights a week for 3½ hours a night. “While this in and of itself does not guarantee financial success for the complex or even that portion of the indoor center, it is a tremendous step forward and provides us with a path that hopefully will turn volleyball into one of the pillars of the complex,” said Brian Clark, a co-executive director of the Abbott Sports Complex. The “amen” you just heard in the background in response to that statement comes from Cook, who sees this as the antidote to a series of unfortunate events that kept volleyball from keeping its statewide momentum. One roadblock was prohibitive prices for Lincoln courts and lack of a leader who was willing to analyze a business model, negotiate an agreement, finalize a contract and then get Nebraska volleyball moving back to its future.

Congratulations, Maggie. Here's hoping your venture is tremendously successful. :thumbs

It really is amazing the talent this state throws out year after year in volleyball..

And not just recently either.... Been a pipeline for close to 25 years!

You can thank the tireless efforts of Terry Pettit for that. And Coach Cook after him.

And some very talented and knowledgeable High School/Club coaches around the state.

It really is amazing the talent this state throws out year after year in volleyball..

You can thank the tireless efforts of Terry Pettit for that. And Coach Cook after him.

And some very talented and knowledgeable High School/Club coaches around the state.

The great thing also is that it isn't just the upper classes that have outstanding players...Class C and Class D also represent really well when it comes to players.

True, but if you go around asking those coaches who trained them, you'll mostly be able to trace a trail back to Pettit.

The great thing also is that it isn't just the upper classes that have outstanding players...Class C and Class D also represent really well when it comes to players.

Plus we grow em BIG in Nebraska!! Good stock!
  • 1 year later...

My daughter is playing for vcNebraska this year. Very impressed with their coaches/staff and also with the recent affiliation with Sports Performance Volleyball this is going to be the premiere club in the state, imo.

Might need some insight as to some good places to eat near the Abbott Complex...as we will be making the trek down there 3 nights a week from Papillion.

The good news is that it's right off the interstate and pretty easy to get to.

The bad news is it's in BFE and there is nothing - and I mean NOTHING - around there.

N.E. Lincoln is a bit of a wasteland for food, and Abbott is a mile further north from the industrial district. Abbott itself is pretty sparse - it's just some gyms, and surrounded by a brazilian soccer fields and a bubble for tennis.

Your best bet for food will be the 27th Street exit, about two miles west past the HWY 77/56th street exit you'll take for Abbott. There's a Cracker Barrel, Wendy's, King Kong (burgers & gyros), Arby's, Dairy Queen with burgers & hotdogs, Taco Inn, Popeye's, Subway... that's about it right there near the exit.

If you want something less garbage-y you could go a bit further south on 27th to the Hy-Vee and pick up something from their kitchen, where they have a build-your-own salad bar (and produce). There's also, near the Hy-Vee, a Culver's, Ruby Tuesday, Burger King, McDonald's, CiCi's pizza, Beacon Hills restaurant, Schlotschky's, da Vinci's, Val's to go, Carlos O'Kelly's, Runza, IHOP, The Blend coffee shop... I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Mostly north Lincoln has fast-food type places. It really sucks.

The good news is that it's right off the interstate and pretty easy to get to.

The bad news is it's in BFE and there is nothing - and I mean NOTHING - around there.

N.E. Lincoln is a bit of a wasteland for food, and Abbott is a mile further north from the industrial district. Abbott itself is pretty sparse - it's just some gyms, and surrounded by a brazilian soccer fields and a bubble for tennis.

Your best bet for food will be the 27th Street exit, about two miles west past the HWY 77/56th street exit you'll take for Abbott. There's a Cracker Barrel, Wendy's, King Kong (burgers & gyros), Arby's, Dairy Queen with burgers & hotdogs, Taco Inn, Popeye's, Subway... that's about it right there near the exit.

If you want something less garbage-y you could go a bit further south on 27th to the Hy-Vee and pick up something from their kitchen, where they have a build-your-own salad bar (and produce). There's also, near the Hy-Vee, a Culver's, Ruby Tuesday, Burger King, McDonald's, CiCi's pizza, Beacon Hills restaurant, Schlotschky's, da Vinci's, Val's to go, Carlos O'Kelly's, Runza, IHOP, The Blend coffee shop... I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Mostly north Lincoln has fast-food type places. It really sucks.

Everything is there really. The only things I can think that you didn't mention are Taco Bell/Taco John's and Fazoli's. I think that coffee shop is closed down, though.

My daughter is playing for vcNebraska this year. Very impressed with their coaches/staff and also with the recent affiliation with Sports Performance Volleyball this is going to be the premiere club in the state, imo.

Might need some insight as to some good places to eat near the Abbott Complex...as we will be making the trek down there 3 nights a week from Papillion.

Best pizza in town is the Isles Pub and Pizza which is not far at all from Abbot. Get the Leaning Tower if you don't mind a little spice. It's fabulous. http://islespubandpizza.com Also straight up 70th to Vine is Honest Abe's. Not cheap but an outstanding place for burgers. http://grounduprestaurants.com/honestabes.html

• Fire 1