Who would you rather have?

Gill. Like another coach on the field. Was a true duel threat and did each equally well. I think Gill would be adaptable across any offense where Tommie was definitely suited to a run based power offense. I think Gill would do well in today's offense. Very well. (Ganz was a good QB but not in the same league)

This is getting harder. L.P. I guess. Hard to pass up game breaking ability. This offense has been a bit sporadic, they could use a guy who can score at anytime. (Big risk/reward here)

I am going with David on this one. Tackle machine who can make plays. He's more consistent than Farley from game to game. Not a risk.

Please forgive me my friend but I simply have to rant on this one.

Farley when on the field was wayyyyyyyy better than David could ever dream of. Not that David wasn't excellent as he most surely was! But honestly, it isn't even close.

Yes, Farley was a problem child (just like LP) but when on the field they towered over everybody else. "Everybody" else.

Also, just like the Jet. Another problem child but simply outrageously talented and easily the best offensive weapon we've ever had (especially when adding PR & kickoff returns).

So, if this thread is about who was the most stable citizen/football player then throw those three out. But if we're talking the best players on the field those three stand head and shoulders above the rest for their respective positions.

David = 285 career tackles > Farley 105 career tackles.

Granted Farley only played 8 games his 2nd season 'cause he got kicked off the team. If you were to figure out the difference, Farley would of only had to average 25.7 tackles for 7 more games to catch David. Maybe a rant is not required here?

Seriously though Farley was a great player and a big playmaker on the defense. Definitely in the conversation when you talk about the great WLB's that Nebraska has had. There's no right answer here for any of the players at any position ...it's just an opinion and in my opinion I will go with David. I respect your opinion though in going with Farley. Farley was a speed guy and made some big plays in his day. I'll go with David his tackles and some of his big plays.

Here's my refute to those that want to bring the tackle totals into the David/Farley conversation. Farley was on defenses that was LOADED with talent at all levels. The DLine that Farley had could sleepwalk and have more tackles and made more plays than the last two season's editions.

Also David more or less was playing the whole game, week in and week out. Farley was on teams where the Blackshirts normally played a half if that. That will skew the numbers quite a bit.

Gill. Like another coach on the field. Was a true duel threat and did each equally well. I think Gill would be adaptable across any offense where Tommie was definitely suited to a run based power offense. I think Gill would do well in today's offense. Very well. (Ganz was a good QB but not in the same league)

This is getting harder. L.P. I guess. Hard to pass up game breaking ability. This offense has been a bit sporadic, they could use a guy who can score at anytime. (Big risk/reward here)

I am going with David on this one. Tackle machine who can make plays. He's more consistent than Farley from game to game. Not a risk.

Please forgive me my friend but I simply have to rant on this one.

Farley when on the field was wayyyyyyyy better than David could ever dream of. Not that David wasn't excellent as he most surely was! But honestly, it isn't even close.

Yes, Farley was a problem child (just like LP) but when on the field they towered over everybody else. "Everybody" else.

Also, just like the Jet. Another problem child but simply outrageously talented and easily the best offensive weapon we've ever had (especially when adding PR & kickoff returns).

So, if this thread is about who was the most stable citizen/football player then throw those three out. But if we're talking the best players on the field those three stand head and shoulders above the rest for their respective positions.

David = 285 career tackles > Farley 105 career tackles.

Granted Farley only played 8 games his 2nd season 'cause he got kicked off the team. If you were to figure out the difference, Farley would of only had to average 25.7 tackles for 7 more games to catch David. Maybe a rant is not required here?

Seriously though Farley was a great player and a big playmaker on the defense. Definitely in the conversation when you talk about the great WLB's that Nebraska has had. There's no right answer here for any of the players at any position ...it's just an opinion and in my opinion I will go with David. I respect your opinion though in going with Farley. Farley was a speed guy and made some big plays in his day. I'll go with David his tackles and some of his big plays.

Here's my refute to those that want to bring the tackle totals into the David/Farley conversation. Farley was on defenses that was LOADED with talent at all levels. The DLine that Farley had could sleepwalk and have more tackles and made more plays than the last two season's editions.

Also David more or less was playing the whole game, week in and week out. Farley was on teams where the Blackshirts normally played a half if that. That will skew the numbers quite a bit.

Exactly.

Also, last year's "bend but don't break" defense was giving up endless 1st downs, TOP and opponents were marching up & down the field on us all year long. David made boatloads of tackles but usually we weren't stopping anyone.

Farley's 1995 & 1996 defense was not, absolutely not, "a bend but don't break" defense. It was a "rip your throat out & sh*t down your neck" defense that very, very rarely allowed anybody to march down the field. In total contrast to the 2011 blackshirts, it was usually 3 & out for the opponent's offense.

It's like comaparing the 1983 & 2009 offenses. We're talking two very different animals here.

3 and out was a victory for opposing offenses.

More often than not, it was Farley picking up a fumble caused by one of the destroyers on the d-line, intercepting an errant pass because of said destroyers, or blocking a punt. Did David block any punts?

Don't get me wrong - we are all going to miss David in the coming years as we try to build up and re-establish the LB corps and the Blackshirts as a whole. He was normally a very sure tackler, closed on ballcarriers very quickly, and what he lacked in size against B1G o-lines, made up for in will and tenacious play.

Tackles are probably the most misleading and useless statistic in football.

Interesting statement. I wanted to dispute it a little, but the more I thought about it the more I tend to agree. If you have a monster DT who routinely soaks up double or even triple teams, clearing the lane for a LB to have a clean straight angle towards the ball carrier, who is more responsible for the success of the defense, the LB with 15 tackles or the tackle who took 2-3 blockers out of the play all game long?

It's kind of like the football version of a win/loss record for pitchers in baseball.

You could also say that Farley benefited from the talent around him, while David WAS the defense. Lombardi said the game is about tackling and blocking so I would say tackles count for something.

Oh, for sure tackles counts a LOT. That's why great lbs like Murtaugh held the tackle record for a couple of decades. Again, David was a GREAT, great lb for us. I don't think anyone denies that.

It's just that for some of us, Farley was so impressive and stood out so high on game day that we think he's simply the best we've ever had. Not as a citizen, not for his NFL career but as a NU cfb player.

For example, the Flyer was a great, great wr for us. But better than the Jet? Nope.

SRex is a great, great rb for us. But better than LP? Nope.

Haha....either way it's just an opinion. But it's a fun topic and we've got a long wait until Sept.

GBR!!