Who would you rather have?

So my co-workers and I have been having a discussion the past few days and all have our opinions. So I thought I would post here to get everyone's feelings on this.

Here's the deal: Who would you rather have on this team right now if we could. Only choose one for each position:

Quarterback:

Tommie Frazier

Joe Ganz

Turner Gill

Running Back:

Rex Burkhead

Lawrence Phillips

Linebacker:

Lavonte David

Terrell Farley

Granted - I never got to see those mid-80's teams....

Frazier, Phillips (proven tandem), David.

...and really it wasn't that difficult. Ganz shouldn't even be in the discussion unless you were just wanting to throw someone in the mix that could pass. Same for running back - no offense to Rex but Phillips (while psychotic) was a beast. LBer easily is David for me - Farley didn't even get drafted when every one of the other 10 on that defense did.

I agree with you on all three although the linebacker position I am on the fence. Just for clarification as well. When I say this team right now, I am meaning this offensive and defensive schemes that we ran last year and will run this year. This is where my co-workers take Ganz, due to his passing ability, over Frazier or Gill but I still think Frazier would thrive

I agree with you on all three although the linebacker position I am on the fence. Just for clarification as well. When I say this team right now, I am meaning this offensive and defensive schemes that we ran last year and will run this year. This is where my co-workers take Ganz, due to his passing ability, over Frazier or Gill but I still think Frazier would thrive

Hmmm...I'd definitely like to see what Beck could do with Ganz. But I think a lot of Ganz's success would be dependent on Beck. Tommie on the other hand (especially if he had Phillips with him) - well even Beck couldn't screw up that duo.

I do not think of any of the favored three would fit into this program now. Tommy due to his ability would be a great add, but his normal actions and demands around this team would cause problems I think.

LP would never a wear a Nebraska uniform, nor should he have ever worn one. His name brings disgust and dishonor to this program and has since his actions.

I would want David over a drunk any time.

Really not any questions about it.

This team suffers from not being a team, none of the above were really high team players. No one wanted to win more than Tommy, but the whole team pretty much hated him. Today that would not fly I am afraid.

David was a great LB but he's not even remotely as great as Farley was. Not-even-close.

Same thing and order w/SRex & LP.

Gill or Frazier is a tough call but I'll take Gill. Ganz was a tough kid but he isn't in the same galaxy as those two (or Frost or Crouch either).

I'm gonna go with:

QB: Turner Gill

RB: Lawrence Phillips

LB: Terrell Farley

Tough choice between LP and Burkhead. All the talent in the world with zero character (LP) vs. a very talented RB with stellar character (Rex). I'm banking on choirboy Turner Gill to help keep LP in line. With those two we'd end up on the front page of every sporting publication. Either as national champions or due to some childish LP scandal.

• Fire 1

I'm gonna go with:

Tough choice between LP and Burkhead. All the talent in the world with zero character (LP) vs. a very talented RB with stellar character (Rex). I'm banking on choirboy man of character, Turner Gill to help keep LP in line. With those two we'd end up on the front page of every sporting publication. Either as national champions or due to some childish LP scandal.

There fixed it for you! Sheesh! How insulting can you get! I'm sorry but Turner Gill was an exceptional player and an exceptional young man on and off the field. eyeswear2allthatsholy

Intereresting game because character does comes into play.

If you're talking about Lawrence Phillips coming back for his Senior season, I'd have to go with Rex Burkhead.

Lavonte David is a lot closer to Farley talent wise, and better as a teammate.

Gill over Frazier because he's more likely to be healthy for the game. Ganz not that far behind because we never got to see what he could do with the supporting cast Gill and Frazier enjoyed. Joe did a lot with the little he was given.

None of these guys translated to the NFL.

Intereresting game because character does comes into play.

If you're talking about Lawrence Phillips coming back for his Senior season, I'd have to go with Rex Burkhead.

Lavonte David is a lot closer to Farley talent wise, and better as a teammate.

Gill over Frazier because he's more likely to be healthy for the game. Ganz not that far behind because we never got to see what he could do with the supporting cast Gill and Frazier enjoyed. Joe did a lot with the little he was given.

None of these guys translated to the NFL.

This has been a huge subject discussed. Ganz did what he could with what he was given, same can be said of Rex. Frazier, Gill, Phillips all had great supporting casts and good lines to run behind.

I'm gonna go with:

Tough choice between LP and Burkhead. All the talent in the world with zero character (LP) vs. a very talented RB with stellar character (Rex). I'm banking on choirboy man of character, Turner Gill to help keep LP in line. With those two we'd end up on the front page of every sporting publication. Either as national champions or due to some childish LP scandal.

There fixed it for you! Sheesh! How insulting can you get! I'm sorry but Turner Gill was an exceptional player and an exceptional young man on and off the field. eyeswear2allthatsholy

Don't get your pantyhose all up in a bunch Lady. The reasons you list are the reasons I picked Gill over Tommie. And since when is being a choirboy a *bad* thing? fyi, I sing in our church choir.

/edit: And just so you know, Turner wasn't a total choirboy in college. I've heard rumors of some wild times he had. Nothing criminal or anything. But about what you'd expect of a 19 year old college guy frequenting the parties of Abel.

Tommy, Rex, Farley

The QB has to be Tommy, I don't think that it is even close really (Sorry Turner)

The Rex-LP choice is particularly tough, but I'll take the player who isn't likely to wind up arrested and suspended for an entire season. Took everything I could muster to type "Farley" instead of "David" too. David is a freak.

Ganz - I just like the kid. I have always liked the throw first, run second QB's. Can't lose with any of the choices.

Phillips - Would have won the Heisman his senior year if he wasn't a lunatic. Man amongst boys.

David - DB playing LB that wasn't afraid to get in the mix. Covered more field than anyone I have every seen. Farley was a freak too.

QB-Gill. Give me a smooth runner and option wizard that could throw it on a rope. Remember the offense he ran was when TO still used the passing game a lot before switching to a more option based attack.

RB-LP It is easy to pooh pooh LP because of what we all know now. But heading into that fatefull MSU weekend no one in this state would have refuted that he could easily go down as the best ever here at NU. Power, speed and the guy had a pretty good set of hands. I love Rex to death, but take away LP's mental shortages that we know now, and it is LP and honestly not even close.

LB-Farley. Again people hold the off the field actions over his head. Farley WAS the BEST player athletically that was on the field when he played. He was LaVonte way before Lavonte was here. The best safety that played LB. He was a terror on special teams as well.

I'd take Frazier in a heartbeat. People bashing Frazier passing ability always baffled me. He throws a pretty damn good ball. Great decision maker too. His vocal leadership, and no nonsense attitude is exactly what this team needs. That way when things go wrong, instead of hanging your heads and quitting like a bunch of bitches, Frazier would rally them up and make them keep playing. (Frazier probably my favorite Husker of all time)

Tough to take LP over Burkhead because I really respect Rex for his leadership and his talent. So you know what, I'm not gonna take LP over him. LP had it all, and he chose to f#*k it up. Burkhead gets the nod here. I wish he was a bit more vocal, maybe a bit more attitude on and off the field but hey, sometimes it's not in a guys DNA.. He sure does a lot of great things though. He's a role model, a good teammate, and that's more than you could say about LP.

I got to take Farley over Lavonte. Even though Lavonte was great, Farley was "THE GREATEST". I put in the old game tapes, and there he is every single game with a huge play. David had some big ones too, but Farley made some HUGE plays and he made them all the time. The guy is one of the best athletes ever at Nebraska and one of the greatest ball hawk's ever.