Photoshop question

The background appears to be a standard photograph of a concrete wall/floor. The USA Track & Field logo was pasted on as a second layer in photoshop, and (probably using the magic wand tool), the various shapes were selected and changed to white. From there it looks like they changed the opacity of the layer to about 33% or so.

EDIT - here's that logo, if you're thinking of doing something like this:

usatf_logo.gif

That .gif looks like it's transparent (no background color). If it is, then you can just play around with the saturation/contrast/lightness until it's all one color. I think.

I believe you're correct. Either way works. Using the magic wand, you can select the blank area, then invert the selection and paint it all white. Takes about five seconds.

Would any of you photoshop gurus be able to tell me how to make something like this?

The background appears to be a standard photograph of a concrete wall/floor. The USA Track & Field logo was pasted on as a second layer in photoshop, and (probably using the magic wand tool), the various shapes were selected and changed to white. From there it looks like they changed the opacity of the layer to about 33% or so. EDIT - here's that logo, if you're thinking of doing something like this:

Yep, agreed. Looks like there might be an extra texture layer or two in there as well and definitely a vignette added. Can't forget about those two little features.

Corncraze, for these two parts you add a new layer with any free texture you like that you can find on the web and change the blend mode to suit. Typically people use overlay or multiply and adjust with a change in opacity but it really depends on the look you are going for. There are a few ways to add a vignette, pick your poison.

That .gif looks like it's transparent (no background color). If it is, then you can just play around with the saturation/contrast/lightness until it's all one color. I think.

I believe you're correct. Either way works. Using the magic wand, you can select the blank area, then invert the selection and paint it all white. Takes about five seconds.

Oh, duh. Forgot about that. Yes, that is faster :P

I have CS5, but I probably only use about 10% of its capabilities. I need to spend time looking at some online tutorials because I am wasting this program on my computer.

Here and here are both great places to start.

I am a huge proponent of Tuts+. Very good suggestion. I am really digging the Tuts+ Hub too, haven't used it much so far though.

I have CS5, but I probably only use about 10% of its capabilities. I need to spend time looking at some online tutorials because I am wasting this program on my computer.

I am a huge proponent of Tuts+. Very good suggestion. I am really digging the Tuts+ Hub too, haven't used it much so far though.

I don't spend as much time on there in the last few years, but psdtuts is almost exclusively what made my graphic design work go from decidedly amateur to professional quality.

I don't spend as much time on there in the last few years, but psdtuts is almost exclusively what made my graphic design work go from decidedly amateur to professional quality.

No more ponies OK?