Texas GOP opposes teaching of "critical thinking skills"

All I am saying is that with the the U.S. education system has bigger problems than insensitivity and closed-mindedness. Of course, bashing Texans is always great fun, so carry on.

I'm not sure if you quite understand what critical thinking is.

Making an argument personal is not critical thinking.

He was merely making an observation. Usually when people play the "it's getting personal" card, it's because someone said something like "Your a dumb ass if you think you didn't lurn no critical thunking in science class," but I digress.

When someone says they took a bunch of classes without "critical thinking" ever being mentioned, to prove that they didn't need it, it's easy to get the impression that they don't understand what it means. No one mentions critical thinking when they're trying to help students improve at it. It was a completely nonsensical thing to say.

All I am saying is that with the the U.S. education system has bigger problems than insensitivity and closed-mindedness. Of course, bashing Texans is always great fun, so carry on.

I'm not sure if you quite understand what critical thinking is.

Making an argument personal is not critical thinking.

He was merely making an observation. Usually when people play the "it's getting personal" card, it's because someone said something like "Your a dumb ass if you think you didn't lurn no critical thunking in science class," but I digress.

When someone says they took a bunch of classes without "critical thinking" ever being mentioned, to prove that they didn't need it, it's easy to get the impression that they don't understand what it means. No one mentions critical thinking when they're trying to help students improve at it. It was a completely nonsensical thing to say.

Not sure what your rant has to do with GOP in Texas, but okay.

I never said i didn't need to learn to think critically.

Everyone wants to help the people in Texas with their education system. i don't know how they rank, but one of you guys who surf the web on your bosses dime should look that up. Public employees excluded.

Believe it or not, there are disciplines other than science and mathematics.

Also, not that there is anything wrong with rote memorization, but if you believe that critical thinking isn't absolutely critical to those fields, you may have missed a thing or two thousand in your science education. Questioning assumptions is at the very foundation of science.

So, on this issue the Texas GOP has apparently backtracked and said it was a wrong choice of words, or something along those lines. I haven't read up on it to any degree.

Exactly--like psychology. If we were to not question the assumption, we would still be thinking that all boys want to have sex with their mother and kill their father (Oedipus Complex) and all girls want to have sex with their father and kill their mother (Elektra Complex) that Sigmund Freud proposed.

Believe it or not, there are disciplines other than science and mathematics.

Also, not that there is anything wrong with rote memorization, but if you believe that critical thinking isn't absolutely critical to those fields, you may have missed a thing or two thousand in your science education. Questioning assumptions is at the very foundation of science.

So, on this issue the Texas GOP has apparently backtracked and said it was a wrong choice of words, or something along those lines. I haven't read up on it to any degree.

Exactly--like psychology. If we were to not question the assumption, we would still be thinking that all boys want to have sex with their mother and kill their father (Oedipus Complex) and all girls want to have sex with their father and kill their mother (Elektra Complex) that Sigmund Freud proposed.

I am puzzled by the example you have chosen. Are you a Freudian?