Jim Delany wants power to fire B1G coaches

Nexus

I liked Jim, but am slowly losing respect, he's a damn clown. Let's propose that's the B1G coaches have the power to fire him by popular vote, it's only fair right?

Strictly to play devil's advocate. Do you agree that the conference should be allowed to kick PSU out of the conference if it feels that PSU has embarrassed the conference? What is being proposed is a council of presidents to develop sanctions if a coach embarrasses the conference (which may include termination at the extreme) which would be carried out by Delaney, its not Delaney that would be holding all this power. Also, remember that Delaney does not make these decisions, if you feel this is a stupid idea and it gets approved call the university presidents "clowns," not Delaney he does not get to make unilateral changes to B1G bylaws.

I should clarify that I don't agree with the proposal (this was for arguing purposes only) and that the conference should hold the schools accountable, not an individual, but do remember who to direct your frustration at: Delaney only has as much power as the presidents extend to him.

I do not think they should be kicked out, but recieve the SMU treatment, it will help recruiting out of penn and show that when there is an issue like this that is bigger than sports or the reputation of a university, that they should get the death penalty to show this will never happen again and that it should have never happened. As far as presidents having to agree on different subjects about power and changes etc I would count them just as responsible. I havent read a lot into this yet but do you really think it was someone other than delaney that proposed this? Sure it has to get approved but who was the first to shout out the idea? I'm sure it was Jim, quote me if I'm wrong because like I said I haven't read a lot into this.

I liked Jim, but am slowly losing respect, he's a damn clown. Let's propose that's the B1G coaches have the power to fire him by popular vote, it's only fair right?

Strictly to play devil's advocate. Do you agree that the conference should be allowed to kick PSU out of the conference if it feels that PSU has embarrassed the conference? What is being proposed is a council of presidents to develop sanctions if a coach embarrasses the conference (which may include termination at the extreme) which would be carried out by Delaney, its not Delaney that would be holding all this power. Also, remember that Delaney does not make these decisions, if you feel this is a stupid idea and it gets approved call the university presidents "clowns," not Delaney he does not get to make unilateral changes to B1G bylaws.

I should clarify that I don't agree with the proposal (this was for arguing purposes only) and that the conference should hold the schools accountable, not an individual, but do remember who to direct your frustration at: Delaney only has as much power as the presidents extend to him.

I do not think they should be kicked out, but recieve the SMU treatment, it will help recruiting out of penn and show that when there is an issue like this that is bigger than sports or the reputation of a university, that they should get the death penalty to show this will never happen again and that it should have never happened. As far as presidents having to agree on different subjects about power and changes etc I would count them just as responsible. I havent read a lot into this yet but do you really think it was someone other than delaney that proposed this? Sure it has to get approved but who was the first to shout out the idea? I'm sure it was Jim, quote me if I'm wrong because like I said I haven't read a lot into this.

No clue who proposed it, it could have been an AD, a president, or Delaney (it is pure speculation at this point as I have not read anything stating who's idea it was, I could just as easily see an AD or president thing this is a good idea as Delaney as it would take the heat off the AD or president to pull the trigger on a beloved coach). But back to the PSU thing, my question is do you think the presidents of the conference should have the power to kick PSU out if they wanted to (they currently do have that power according to RIttenberg), not whether you think they should actually kick them out. I bring this up simply b/c it is comparable though different in scale to the conference deciding a school should fire (more likely apply sanctions if anything) someone, because it would be the presidents that make the decision on a case by case basis; according to the preliminary stories (though again, I do not agree they should, I still think the conference holds the school responsible, not an individual coach).

No clue who proposed it, it could have been an AD, a president, or Delaney (it is pure speculation at this point as I have not read anything stating who's idea it was, I could just as easily see an AD or president thing this is a good idea as Delaney as it would take the heat off the AD or president to pull the trigger on a beloved coach). But back to the PSU thing, my question is do you think the presidents of the conference should have the power to kick PSU out if they wanted to (they currently do have that power according to RIttenberg), not whether you think they should actually kick them out. I bring this up simply b/c it is comparable though different in scale to the conference deciding a school should fire (more likely apply sanctions if anything) someone, because it would be the presidents that make the decision on a case by case basis; according to the preliminary stories (though again, I do not agree they should, I still think the conference holds the school responsible, not an individual coach).

I'll be honest with you, I don't know. This is such a sticky situation that I could see it going both ways. If there is any scandle worthy of getting kicked out of a conference for, this is it. However I think there needs to be more than just a "board" of presidents deciding if a school should get kicked out. With any kind of group, board, committee etc they almost always go with the popular opinion. By that I mean if all you hear about on tv, radio, papers etc is that there is no justification in kicking penn state out, then I think they vote not to kick them out, to protect themselves from future consequences. I think they would get shredded if the media was not for it, and they did it anyways. And vice versa, if all the news is pointing toward wanting them out, I think the presidents would do that. Everything is revolved around money, and an image. They would vote with the public opinion. Which I think is actually fair because that's how everything else in this country is ran by, popular vote. But even so, I think it takes more than just a board of people to decide that. That would be a HUGE Change and could effect the future of college football. If penn state is the first school to ever get kicked out of a conference imagine what the future would look like. Any remotely bad scandle would bring buzz about if they should be kicked out of their conference. Once something happens once, it opens te door for it to happen again. if I had to choose I say don't let the presidents have the power to kick out a school. You wipe the place clean and start over, don't kick them out IMO. The student athletes arnt the ones who should be punished. It's the coaches involved and the one man responsible. Where would psu even go? Most likely big 12 since the big east and acc are about to fall through, I doubt scc would want them.

well the Big East kicked out Temple for losing so much, how did that work out? If you can do it for that you can do it for harboring a pedohpile. While you're at it you could get rid of Purdue.

btw are there any stats on who the top 'producers' of $ are in your conference? I would guess 1. anOSU 2. UM, 3. PSU. 4. NU.

well the Big East kicked out Temple for losing so much, how did that work out? If you can do it for that you can do it for harboring a pedohpile. While you're at it you could get rid of Purdue.

btw are there any stats on who the top 'producers' of $ are in your conference? I would guess 1. anOSU 2. UM, 3. PSU. 4. NU.

What do you mean by that? Money made for the Conference itself? Revenue for the Athletic Department?

In 2011 State made the most of all conference schools.

EDIT: 2010... My bad.

What do you mean by that? Money made for the Conference itself? Revenue for the Athletic Department?

In 2011 State made the most of all conference schools.

EDIT: 2010... My bad.

I don't know where the lines are drawn, hence the "any stats." TV ratings? ticket sales? When someone buys a Huskers shirt at Walmart is that counted as football revenue?

From what i heard is the power goes to the Big Ten commissioner and the Big Ten presidents. The power is the ability to fire any athletic individual, including coaches.

While the Big Ten is throwing the idea around to expel Penn St. I don't think it will happen. But the other two conditions, such as probation and suspension from the Big Ten might become a reality.

Well, they did kick Michigan out for 5-ish years around 1910

Well, they did kick Michigan out for 5-ish years around 1910

Correct, and they have the power to kick out PSU with a 70% vote of the presidents that would then shift the burden to PSU to show cause why they should be allowed to stay