mitt romney; the candidate of transparency?

Been in the news for a while now............And while I agree with sd'sker it would be harder to find a job without it.................it begs the question of whether or not taxpayers (many of whom probably have to stretch dollars to pay for their OWN phone should be forced to buy them for others). And if so...................where is the limit? It's probably harder to find a job without a car too............is there enough justification for that too?

http://newmediajourn...x.php/item/2462

it is, but at least there is public transit. i do not know if i agree with the gov't providing phones, but the story you provided was a state's decision. i think there should be programs, not sure who should provide them, to help people get phones. there are many different ways to do this. i believe there are a lot of nonprofits that try to help battered women get phones to call 911.

Been in the news for a while now............And while I agree with sd'sker it would be harder to find a job without it.................it begs the question of whether or not taxpayers (many of whom probably have to stretch dollars to pay for their OWN phone should be forced to buy them for others). And if so...................where is the limit? It's probably harder to find a job without a car too............is there enough justification for that too?

http://newmediajourn...x.php/item/2462

it is, but at least there is public transit. i do not know if i agree with the gov't providing phones, but the story you provided was a state's decision. i think there should be programs, not sure who should provide them, to help people get phones. there are many different ways to do this. i believe there are a lot of nonprofits that try to help battered women get phones to call 911.

Agree 100% on NONPROFITS helping battered women, etc. (participant in several)

The link I provided is Pennsylvania but there is U.S. government precedent for this going back several years............

It's an interesting sidebar, but why bring it up in a conversation about Romney and Obama?

You're right. Guess I got derailed when you and I were discussing Obama's role in expanding government...........

What does this cell phone conversation have to do with Obama?

It's an interesting sidebar, but why bring it up in a conversation about Romney and Obama?

You're right. Guess I got derailed when you and I were discussing Obama's role in expanding government...........

Generalized expansion of government...

Under the ubiquitous guise of "fairness", assuming that anyone who has accumulated some artificial threshold of "wealth", has done so unfairly and must surrender more of it to those without it.

Do you think that someone who earns $20 million dollars a year should pay a lower effective tax rate than someone who earns $100,000?

Also, do you know the basics of marginal tax rates?

Under the ubiquitous guise of "fairness", assuming that anyone who has accumulated some artificial threshold of "wealth", has done so unfairly and must surrender more of it to those without it.

Do you think that someone who earns $20 million dollars a year should pay a lower effective tax rate than someone who earns $100,000?

Your condescension knows no bounds..........

I think you mean George Bush II, not Obama, then. The cell-phone-for-the-unemployed program, SafeLink Wireless Service, began in 2008. When Bush was president.

Further, they got the idea to do this from LifeLine and/or Link-Up, programs started in 1984 and 1987 by every Republican's favorite president, Ronald Reagan.

So, to recap, it's OK when Republicans expand government. Just not when Democrats do it. Makes perfect sense.

post-10539-0-72550200-1343660908.jpg

I've said this before to somebody who posted the same thing.

Whose money do you suppose Mitt Romney will work with, if he were to be elected president?

I hate all these one-liner, gotcha images, T-shirts, slogans, whatever. They do so little for discourse. I reject almost every one of them on sight, because to put it plainly, they are bold-facedly asking you to turn off your critical thinking skills. That request should be highly offensive to everybody. "Hey, if you'll just turn off the brain for a moment, ..."

• Fire 2

Obama is so hell bent on expanding government (even though the government has shrunk dramatically during Obama's presidency) that he time travelled back to 1997 to create the Universal Service Fund to cover cell phones.

perceived condescension aside, he brings up a good point. i see a fundamental difference between what people believe is fair (or wealthy, or what each class owes or does not owe), but it might help if the tax code was simplified and more understandable. also, if we had a better understanding of how tax dollars are actually spent in the aggregate, rather than anecdotal stories (whether it be these welfare programs run amok stories or these stories of rich people paying less of a tax rate than their help. although, as a liberal i am more concerned with the latter).

Those are real questions. That wasn't meant to be condescending.

Would you answer them?

I think you mean George Bush II, not Obama, then. The cell-phone-for-the-unemployed program, SafeLink Wireless Service, began in 2008. When Bush was president.

Further, they got the idea to do this from LifeLine and/or Link-Up, programs started in 1984 and 1987 by every Republican's favorite president, Ronald Reagan.

So, to recap, it's OK when Republicans expand government. Just not when Democrats do it. Makes perfect sense.

No, it's not ok when Republicans do it...........they are just as wrong when they do it as in this particular case.

My point during this thread was Obama's generalized view of an expanded government..................... I used the cell phone issue as an example of expanded government regardless......

Probably a poor choice to have the phone example juxtaposed within this thread of Romney/Obama......