Chick-fil-A

I strongly disagree with the opinion of the Chick-fil-A president, but it's his right to have that opinion and there's no evidence that Chick-fil-A has discriminatory labor practices, or is otherwise breaking the law. Historically battles over social issues have not been won attacking people on the "wrong" side, in fact it only seems to further entrench opposition by rallying around those who say no. We've already reached the tipping point of inevitability with gay marriage, so it's simply a matter of time passing before opinions like Mr. Cathy's are like turds going down the toilet.

Agreed. Even though it is inevitable, the sooner gay marriage is legalized the better. Unfortunately, if the record Chick-fil-A sales are any indicator, it does not appear that it will happen in the very immediate future.

Well, woman got their rights and 50 years later so did African Americans. If history shows us anything it's that homosexuals are due. Good for them.

The Mayor of Boston, Mike Menino, cannot deny Chick-fil-A a license to operate in Boston speaking from a "professional" position much less a "personal" one, but that's what he did.

First off, it's Thomas Menino...not Mike

Second, did he deny Chick-fil-a a license? Is Chick-fil-a banned from operating in Boston? Did the company recently file for a license and were denied purely because Thomas Menino said they shouldn't have one? Or did the Mayor say he would make it "very difficult" and then later state that he actually had very little capability to prevent them from opening restaurants and that he was stating his personal opinion?

Yeah, I think it was that last one. Which, if you go back and read what I was saying...umm....that's what I was saying.

This story forces me to shake my head while frowning at the screen. It's issues like these which make clear that most people want free speech for themselves, but not for others, unless said speech is in agreement. Americans have a right to say just about whatever we want, wherever we want, and however we want. If this man's opinion on gay marriage offends you, the most simplistic and rational action to pursue is one one of avoidance. Pretend Chick-Fil-A doesn't exist.

I disagree with his opinions and the manner he projected those opinions, but he had every right to say them. I'm sure the man isn't a total idiot or a complete bigot, but how someone can go from acting as God's personal messenger, defining what marriage is but then bashing those who have a different definition, is beyond me.

• Fire 1

This story forces me to shake my head while frowning at the screen. It's issues like these which make clear that most people want free speech for themselves, but not for others, unless said speech is in agreement. Americans have a right to say just about whatever we want, wherever we want, and however we want. If this man's opinion on gay marriage offends you, the most simplistic and rational action to pursue is one one of avoidance. Pretend Chick-Fil-A doesn't exist.

I disagree with his opinions and the manner he projected those opinions, but he had every right to say them. I'm sure the man isn't a total idiot or a complete bigot, but how someone can go from acting as God's personal messenger, defining what marriage is but then bashing those who have a different definition, is beyond me.

I actually think this is how free speech is suppose to work. This will blow over pretty quick.

I use to live a block away from a Chick-fil-A and it's pretty awesome fast food. It makes the BK chicken sandwiches I use to get on 138th & Q growing up taste like dog food. I still don't get how there are none in Nebraska (I don't count MoO).

Edit:

It leads me to another question. Who defines what hate speech is? That being said, are the comments made by the CEO 'hateful'. I don't even know what the exact comment was. I bet most don't.

Dude got himself fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLNgkP9nzc

Link

See, screw this guy. That woman had nothing to do with the company stance on this, she's just earning a paycheck.

She handled that well, and he deserved that. Despite what the companies record sales show its clear that supporters for gay rights outnumber the opposition, girl herself might be all for it and this guy ruins her day.

The Mayor of Boston, Mike Menino, cannot deny Chick-fil-A a license to operate in Boston speaking from a "professional" position much less a "personal" one, but that's what he did.

Second, did he deny Chick-fil-a a license? Is Chick-fil-a banned from operating in Boston? Did the company recently file for a license and were denied purely because Thomas Menino said they shouldn't have one? Or did the Mayor say he would make it "very difficult" and then later state that he actually had very little capability to prevent them from opening restaurants and that he was stating his personal opinion?

Yeah, I think it was that last one. Which, if you go back and read what I was saying...umm....that's what I was saying.

Oh, now I get it. Thomas Michael Menino's threat to "make it very difficult" for Chick-fil-A was not based upon his being mayor because he later said it was his personal opinion. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dude got himself fired.

Link

Guess that water wasn't free after all. :lol:

It was pretty stupid for this guy--the CFO of a company--to do this and post it on the youtube. About as stupid as the teenage Jackass wannabes sticking fireworks up their butt and posting the videos to the Youtube.

Oh, now I get it. Thomas Michael Menino's threat to "make it very difficult" for Chick-fil-A was not based upon his being mayor because he later said it was his personal opinion. Thanks for clearing that up.

what is your point? so a mayor can not say that?

I actually think this is how free speech is suppose to work. This will blow over pretty quick.

I use to live a block away from a Chick-fil-A and it's pretty awesome fast food. It makes the BK chicken sandwiches I use to get on 138th & Q growing up taste like dog food. I still don't get how there are none in Nebraska (I don't count MoO).

Edit:

It leads me to another question. Who defines what hate speech is? That being said, are the comments made by the CEO 'hateful'. I don't even know what the exact comment was. I bet most don't.

I haven't seen the video, but I know one thing he said on the radio was this.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage."

He basically says God knows best, God defines marriage as being between woman and man only, and any other kind of marriage definition is a direct slap in God's face.

Wow, you think it's okay for an elected official to threaten a citizen because of the citizen's religious beliefs? No, Mayors cannot say that. This genius Menino sent a letter on his own City Of Boston letterhead stationary and signed it as the mayor of Boston. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/boston-mayor-letter-chick-fil-menino-dan-cathy-201952237--finance.html

Finally, if Mayor Menino thought he was right in doing that he would not have backed down. http://gawker.com/5929429/boston-mayor-wont-stop-chick+fil+a-from-opening-branch-in-beantown

Wow, you think it's okay for an elected official to threaten a citizen because of the citizen's religious beliefs? No, Mayors cannot say that. This genius Menino sent a letter on his own City Of Boston letterhead stationary and signed it as the mayor of Boston. http://news.yahoo.co...7--finance.html

Finally, if Mayor Menino thought he was right in doing that he would not have backed down. http://gawker.com/59...nch-in-beantown

did not know mayors had limited free speech. he is an elected official, if people do not like what he is saying, they should just vote him out when they get a chance.

• Fire 1