This is what running America, is apparently all about

Though there are some in congress trying right now, when a couple years ago they were all for transparency.

Things change when the big money donors are putting money in your pocket.

If their constituents had half a brain they would vote them out of office for that alone. The change of stance on something like that shows a clear lack of real ethics. There is a reason why a politician would not want people knowing who is bank rolling him, and owing favors to that votes would likely disagree with.

I would prefer a sign up window, from Jan 1 to Jan 31 (of election year) to announce intentions to run for President. A really crazy idea would be to put all the money into a pot and split it equally among all the nominees. This would eliminate alot of the problems with little extra government regulation and would limit the disparity of one side over the other. Also it may have the added side effect of giving 3rd party a foot hold and a voice into the election.

Just a side note, I have no problem with the current system, it really is a pretty big part of our economy. I would prefer a better accounting of who actually gives money to the campaigns and a better separation of presidential/Congressional trips and campaign stops. Not contributing to a percentage of expenses is a pretty major advantage over non publicly employed nominees.