Athlon ranks the nation's Running Back units

Abdullah lost four fumbles in 42 rushes. While not great, it's not like he's a fumbling machine, either - especially not for a true freshman getting his first taste of football at this level.

I think the timing of his fumbles are what makes them stand out more.

Thats 1 out of every 10 times he carries the ball. Thats absolutely awful at any level, freshman or not. Had Rex fumbled at that pace, he would have lost almost 30 fumbles last year (to put it into perspective). That's 30 extra possessions handed to the other team.

I was at lunch thanks for bringing this up for me! Freshman yes, and by no means am I bashing Ameer, was just stating a fact and giving my opinion that I really think Heard is over looked and may surprise some people this year! Wrong or right I just want to win some games. GBR!

Abdullah lost four fumbles in 42 rushes. While not great, it's not like he's a fumbling machine, either - especially not for a true freshman getting his first taste of football at this level.

Thats 1 out of every 10 times he carries the ball. Thats absolutely awful at any level, freshman or not. Had Rex fumbled at that pace, he would have lost almost 30 fumbles last year (to put it into perspective). That's 30 extra possessions handed to the other team.

I hope you realize it's completely nonsensical to multiply statistics that way.

4 fumbles is a small number, period. One less fumble and it's 7% instead of 10. Two less and it's 5%, which would give Rex 15 fumbles last year instead of 30. If Ameer had 100 carries and kept up the 10% clip, then yes, we'd have something to talk about.

Here's another one for you. Ameer scored 3 touchdowns in his 42 carries. If we had only given him 200 carries, Ameer would've scored fourteen TDs last season.

I hope you realize it's completely nonsensical to multiply statistics that way.

4 fumbles is a small number, period. One less fumble and it's 7% instead of 10. Two less and it's 5%, which would give Rex 15 fumbles last year instead of 30. If Ameer had 100 carries and kept up the 10% clip, then yes, we'd have something to talk about.

Here's another one for you. Ameer scored 3 touchdowns in his 42 carries. If we had only given him 200 carries, Ameer would've scored fourteen TDs last season.

He was simply averaging Abdullah's fumbles last year. Sure, 42 carries is a small sample size, but he did indeed average a fumble every 10.5 carries last year.

Perhaps if Ameer had gotten more carries his average would've improved as he got used to things, but I don't see anything wrong with SnowBigRed's logic.

I don't agree with just dismissing Ameer as awful, "freshman or not." He would've gotten better if he was a bigger part of our offense.

The ranking seems awfully high when the ones behind Rex are really unknown quantities. They even mention that. I did not read the list but would imagine it was headed by LSU, Bama, South Carolina, USC. Rex is a load, but after him, if he went down, I think there are lot out there better off and would end up higher. Some positive press it seems. NO complaints though.