Random KState thoughts

formerfan

1) I sure am glad that the option doesn’t work in college football anymore. :sarcasm

Oh wait, I guess it only works against NU???

2) Nice job, pud, for backing out of the Houston game, and getting a cupcake like Maine to sign on. Good thing NU had 7 home games…

3) Do the coaches not conduct tackling drills….pathetic. :wtf

4) Maybe if billy c didn’t run off his starting qb, he wouldn’t have had to burn Beck’s RS year, and pawn the future of the program for a win against the conference bottom feeder. Like Ganz or Davis couldn’t have gone 1-6 and thrown an INT. Sacrificing the kids and the programs future for his own personal gain. what a shame.

5) Nice play calling…screen pass 6 yards deep from your own 1 yd line… SAFETY.

Horrible. :bang

6) Ugly game. Good thing that NU got the Big 12 doormat at home, otherwise no crappy bowl game and the heat gets REALLY hot under billy c’s butt. No props.

7) The team is still not getting any better, actually they are worse than they were last year at this time.

8) Gee, you mean that freshman actually CAN contribute, wow! :sarcasm

Now maybe the staff can get away from turning NU into a JC, use some of their vaunted freshman, and maybe build for the future.

Someone isnt doing their job. <_<

I am very much concerned about this coaching staff. But for the good of the program, if we fired Callahan right now, things could get even worse. I would give him at least another year to see what he can do and if he can show some real progress. I have some doubts about this coaching staff, but if wouldn't be wise to jump ship right now.

My only thoughts from the game were this: I sure am glad KState wanted to lose this game more than NU did. NU had 7 fumbles during the game according to "The Great One" Jim Rose. Thankfully, we only lost 2 of them. KState was just horrible in terms of their offensive play. They were penalized over 100 yards this game, and a lot of those penalties came when they were in the red zone. This was the 10th game I believe for both teams. I couldn't believe how neither one of the teams was prepared to play.

Snyder used to pride himself on special team play kind of like Va Tech. They were miserable on special teams on Saturday. Their running game sliced through the blackshirt defense like a knife through butter, but their passing game was not good. Again, I sure am glad they wanted to lose this one more than NU did.

NU's playcalling left a little to be desirable. Where was Glenn when we were right on our 1 or 2 yard line? Giving the other team 2 safeties along with all of our fumbling problems really made me wonder about our team. After the game, I kept hearing about the great offensive performance. If Rose was correct, he said we had like 315 yards offense. Considering our offense is/was ranked 108th in the country averaging 299 yards/game, how was this a great offensive performance? The defense played well against the pass, but they played just like the last 4 games with respect to the run. Our run defense was terrible especially in the first half.

Hats off to the special teams. They are really the ones who won the game for us. I'm undecided on the Beck decision. Norvell said after the game that it has been discussed extensively that if the game were on the line and something happened to Taylor, Beck would be put in. This was the case, and I can't say I disagree with it since Beck was listed the 2nd string QB. If Beck doesn't see the field again this year, I think it will be a shame to blow one full year eligibility for 2 series.

With all the miscues, fumbles, etc.; I guess I'm still dumbfounded we're making these mistakes this late in the game. I believe Ross put the ball on the turf 5 times. It was Senior Day. I expected more from him. KState is not a good team, and they are not a very well disciplined team. However, from what I gathered, NU wasn't much better. Why is the discipline from this team no better than it was at the beginning of the season? If we hadn't have been playing the Big 12 North bottomfeeder KState, this game would have looked a lot like the last 3 or 4. You can't fumble the ball 7 times and be successful. If we go into Boulder and play the kind of game we played Saturday, we'll get crushed plain and simple.

NU's playcalling left a little to be desirable.  Where was Glenn when we were right on our 1 or 2 yard line?

He had a hammy issue this past week in practice. Could explain it.

I guess that explains why we didn't use Glenn, but is Todd inept at running the ball? I would think a fullback dive over Mann would be a little better call than a slow developing screen pass. NU has had more safeties this season than I can ever remember in the past. There must be some kind of play in the playbook. Hell, a QB dive over center would have been better than giving up a safety.

Did we do things wrong in the K-State game both on the field and the coaches? Sure but does that mean we didn't do anything right? I don't think so. Negative people can always find something negative in anything. Hell the 95 Nebraska team let the hated Gators Score in the Fiesta Bowl, what the hell was that about? :sarcasm

Attitudes are infectious. Whether they are postive or negative. I would at least like to see some objectivity from EVERYONE! Nothing is ever that bad and nothing is ever perfect. Take a peek at the ever loved Bobby Bowden. He has lost 3 games to "unranked" teams. Who's fault is that, you certainly cannot attack his coaching history.

Anyway, it was an awesome win. All teams HATE Nebraska and will do anything they can to beat us. I would say a team that is a 5 on the talent scale all the sudden becomes about a 7 just because beating Nebraska cures a lot of ills. Great job to the players, Awesome job to the special teams. They certainly saved our bacon. Now let's hope the team gets disciplined and puts a major beating on the criminals in Boulder!

GBR!

Living in KC I know quite a few KSU fans and when I met most of them this morning we just shrugged and shook our heads about the game. It was very very ugly on both sides and neither of us were overly excited/upset about the win/loss. In recent history the KSU/NU game is for the Big 12 North and this time it was to avoid the bottom. Anyways kind of an odd feeling on both sides of the line.

Ok, objectivity.

Positives: We are currently 6 and 4, and going bowling. At least, by our record, we are showing some improvement. I would call this season moderately successful if we can end up 7 and 5. We also get an extra month of practice that we really need.

Negatives: As a casual observer, it appears to me that this team is lacking fundamentals. Blocking, tackling, minimizing "stupid" penalties, holding on to the football, etc. This is why, in my non-coach opinion, we are lacking consistency on both offense AND defense - we cannot seem to do the little things well on every single play. Also, we have been consistently inconsistent for the past two years. That, to me, is not a very good sign.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what the solution is as I don't spend 90 to 100 hours a week on Nebraska Football (as I'm pretty sure our coaching staff does). But if we can't start doing the little things well on every single play, then we will not show consistent improvement.

I think you can attribute the mistakes, dumb things, at least in part, to the youth of the team. We have pretty young team here, guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't we be younger next year? We lose Ross in the backfield and leave 2 or 3 backs with minimal experience. Depending on the QB situation, we may have a very inexperienced QB back there. The OLine will have a lot of shakeups I'm assuming this winter, so I expect to see a lot of new faces there. We lose a couple up front on D. The secondary will still be somewhat inexperienced depending on L. Jackson and maybe some new recruits. Adrian Fiala said and I agree that inexperience and youth can only be used so long. After the 4th game of the season, it shouldn't be used anymore.

The mistakes we're making in the 10th game of the season I believe have to do with discipline. We shouldn't be fumbling 7 times a game. We shouldn't be bringing the ball out of the end zone 5 to 7 yards deep and getting pinned at the 1 or 2. IMO, this team lacks a lot of discipline right now. It lacks a lot of leadership as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't we be younger next year?  We lose Ross in the backfield and leave 2 or 3 backs with minimal experience.  Depending on the QB situation, we may have a very inexperienced QB back there.  The OLine will have a lot of shakeups I'm assuming this winter, so I expect to see a lot of new faces there.  We lose a couple up front on D.  The secondary will still be somewhat inexperienced depending on L. Jackson and maybe some new recruits.  Adrian Fiala said and I agree that inexperience and youth can only be used so long.  After the 4th game of the season, it shouldn't be used anymore. 

The mistakes we're making in the 10th game of the season I believe have to do with discipline. We shouldn't be fumbling 7 times a game. We shouldn't be bringing the ball out of the end zone 5 to 7 yards deep and getting pinned at the 1 or 2. IMO, this team lacks a lot of discipline right now. It lacks a lot of leadership as well.

Yes, we will be younger at key positions next year but you can't just get around being young.

As far as it being a discipline problem, I disagree for the most part. No we shouldn't be fumbling 7 times a game and we haven't been. We did against KSU, but other than that I think we haven't had too many dumb fumbles. I mean, if the defense makes a play, they make a play. What are you going to do about that?

After the 4th game? These true and redshirt freshmen are still true and redshirt freshman after the 4th game. Granted we should see less mistakes.

No we shouldn't be getting the ball at the 5-7 yard line and getting pinned. Lucky made a mistake in that play. He wanted to take the ball out, Jackson told him to stay in but it was too late; he had one foot out of the endzone. I guess he was hungry after getting the ball kicked over his head all day.

We didn't block a simple isolation that led to the first saftey. Although I disagree with the swing pass call, the idea was that KSU was crashing to the middle to stop the standard "up the gut-i am stuck in my own endzone" run, so let's pass it to the outside. Granted it should have been OUT OF THE ENDZONE first and foremost. That's the second saftey.

As far as leadership, I think we could use more but I don't think it lacks a lot of it. We are talking about player leadership right? i.e. Ross, Taylor, McKeon, etc, etc?

Considering that only 7 seniors start this year... out of 22. I would go out on a limb and no, we wont be nearly as inexperienced next year. Having a second year qaurterback who has proven that he is at least capable will be huge.

I wouldn't go so far as to say we will have a proven second year qb. He may start the year, but I see BillyC getting his player in there. I think it will be an interesting spring to see taylor and beck battle it out.