Condoleezza Rice joins Augusta

NUance

darla_moore_condoleeza_rice_AP658879207885_fullwidth_175x131.jpg

A closer look at the two women admitted to Augusta

August 21, 2012 7:17 AM

(CBS News) Ten years ago, the Masters golf tournament was hit by controversy over the membership policies of its host. The Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia was all-male, and that did not change, until Monday.

Augusta National now says two women have been invited to join one of the world's most exclusive clubs. The club announced Monday that former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and South Carolina banking executive Darla Moore had accepted invitations to become members at Augusta, breaking 80 years of tradition.

LINK

heh, that's a surprise. I wonder if there's an angle behind this? Or maybe they just decided the all-male image needed to go.

Augusta has been pressured for years to include women in their club. I strongly believe they included women merely to get the pressure off their backs, and if this is the case, I'm extremely disappointed. There's nothing in our country requiring them to admit women to their club; it's a club and can choose it's members however it pleases. If it only wants non-hispanic whites with a yearly income of $500,000 living in Beverly Hills, they can do that. If they want to admit only black Americans below the poverty line living in Brooklyn, they can do that too.

Admitting women just to admit women is ludicrous, and it's not only men that agree. Plenty of women feel that if some time down the road they wanted an all women's club, they should be able to do that without feeling the pressure to admit people they don't want. Augusta didn't admit the first black person to it's club until around 1990 - 1990, decades after the club was born! That is far more atrocious imho.

I'm a little surprised that Condoleezza Rice has the coin to pay for that place. I don't think she was independently wealthy before entering gov't service. And she certainly didn't get rich on her cabinet pay.

Augusta has been pressured for years to include women in their club. I strongly believe they included women merely to get the pressure off their backs, and if this is the case, I'm extremely disappointed. There's nothing in our country requiring them to admit women to their club; it's a club and can choose it's members however it pleases. If it only wants non-hispanic whites with a yearly income of $500,000 living in Beverly Hills, they can do that. If they want to admit only black Americans below the poverty line living in Brooklyn, they can do that too.

Admitting women just to admit women is ludicrous, and it's not only men that agree. Plenty of women feel that if some time down the road they wanted an all women's club, they should be able to do that without feeling the pressure to admit people they don't want. Augusta didn't admit the first black person to it's club until around 1990 - 1990, decades after the club was born! That is far more atrocious imho.

i agree with this. Why can't men be men and women be women?

Darla Moore? Frick yea. Good for her I've always liked her. She's a USC alum and a huge donor ($75m) to the university. She was on the board of trustees until Governor Haley, a Clemson grad, removed her last year. She turned around and donated another $5 million to Carolina. It was pretty funny.

/coolstorybro

Darla Moore? Frick yea. Good for her I've always liked her. She's a USC alum and a huge donor ($75m) to the university. She was on the board of trustees until Governor Haley, a Clemson grad, removed her last year. She turned around and donated another $5 million to Carolina. It was pretty funny.

/coolstorybro

She donated $10,000,000 to Clemson in the past few years. I have no problem with her.

/coolstorybro

She donated $10,000,000 to Clemson in the past few years. I have no problem with her.

Yea didn't she donate to your business school? Seems like she's just one of many who've had impacts on both schools, Cooper and Thurmond come to mind. She's still donated way more to her her alma mater though... I just don't understand (or maybe 'remember' is the better word) why Governor Haley did what she did.