Offensive Line and Cotten's future

So you think Uncle Milt was incompetent too? Go ahead and google "Dan Young" and see what you find.

Dan Young GM Center - Car Dealership

http://danyounggm.com/

-or-

Dan Young - Colorado plein-air landscape painter.

http://www.danyoungstudio.com/

Which Dan Young am I looking for?

Normally I like what you post, but this time! Don't be stupid.

Edit: maybe I didn't get the joke.

bshirt wrote "Go ahead and google "Dan Young" and see what you find."

That's what I found.

(the joke is I was being exceedingly literal and sarcastic to an exceedingly condescending and sarcastic comment)

Sorry. I did the same thang, that's why I did the edit. went over my head.

goood job.

See now you are changing your tune. NU did average 200+ yards a game, but now it is not enough. Just say it, you want NU to average 350 a game and get 200 against Meechicken, Sparty et.al. So what if NU had 88 against OSU up till the 4th quarter, that is called wearing an opponent down, or was that becuase Miller hurt his ankle? That sounds a lot like the old pipelines of the 80's and 90's. chuckleshuffle . Just being a smart ars. Sometimes it does take a system a while to get going. Do you think Wisky just all of a sudden had great O-lines? Alverez did pattern his team after NU after all. There pipeline has 20 years of a system going right now.

As far as the NFL goes. NU having a lot of guys in the O-line playing in the NFL is a rather recent event. The 80's and early 90's were pretty slim for NFL linemen. But they O-lines were good. I guess I think the O-line is pretty good. The only line in the big 10 that I think is better is Wisky, the rest I think we are on par with or better.

Where exactly did I change my tune? I specifically said "over 200 yards rushing per game." I did not say "average", because averages can be skewed by high and low outliers. Therefore, when I pointed out our four losses and our lack of rushing yards in those games, save one, they did not contradict what I said earlier. End of discussion.

I think you're also giving far too much attention to the physical side of the game and less to the psychological aspect. We began to dominate them post-Miller injury. Maybe that coincided with attrition, maybe it didn't. Point is, you can't rule it out either way. It's a matter of perspective, and my perspective is we got lucky and don't win that game if Miller stays healthy.

Furthermore, you probably forgot (or simply don't know) that Wisconsin almost fired Bret Bielema in 2007 (I think that's the year). Any pipeline they had was irrelevant because their offense that year was abysmal. Their current success is due to Bielema getting back on track, not something Alvarez left in place for him.

As much as I cannot stand to listen to Lou Holtz, I remember how correct he was when he criticized Callahan by saying, (paraphrasing) "The hardest thing for a head coach is not the recruiting, the x's or o's, or the game plan on Saturdays. It is firing the friends you have hired as assistant coaches when they are costing you your own job". Barney Cotton is the Kevin Cosgrove of Bo Pelini. Cotton is the albatross of the current Husker program. Simply put, as a head coach, you have to hire coaches that get the job done, not former friends and acquaintances.

Very well said. But Cotton is gone (as a coach) after the season...Beck has already taken away the schemes and blocking assignments from Barney. It's just a matter of time before he is given a new job somewhere else in the AD so he can continue to steal more money from the school.

Didn't you start this same sh#t last year?

:xcuse I joined in Jan 2012, that pretty much exempts me from starting anything last year. :D

As much as I cannot stand to listen to Lou Holtz, I remember how correct he was when he criticized Callahan by saying, (paraphrasing) "The hardest thing for a head coach is not the recruiting, the x's or o's, or the game plan on Saturdays. It is firing the friends you have hired as assistant coaches when they are costing you your own job". Barney Cotton is the Kevin Cosgrove of Bo Pelini. Cotton is the albatross of the current Husker program. Simply put, as a head coach, you have to hire coaches that get the job done, not former friends and acquaintances.

Very well said. But Cotton is gone (as a coach) after the season...Beck has already taken away the schemes and blocking assignments from Barney. It's just a matter of time before he is given a new job somewhere else in the AD so he can continue to steal more money from the school.

Didn't you start this same sh#t last year?

:xcuse I joined in Jan 2012, that pretty much exempts me from starting anything last year. :D

:) Sorry it was more towards AF than you. But someone last year pretty much said the something he posted. and it didn't come true.

another falsehood. :)

Where exactly did I change my tune? I specifically said "over 200 yards rushing per game." I did not say "average", because averages can be skewed by high and low outliers.

Well, when you say "per game" that indicates an average. I think you meant "every game".

Per..every..they're essentially the same thing. I don't understand the confusion. The word "over" does not indicate an average.

We now are missing 2 outstanding recruits from the 2011 class, Klatchco and Moore. The OL that was once a symbol of pride for the Big Red . I don't totally blame Cotton for this decline. Boyd Epply once told me, "We recruit bone structure, and build linemen." Evidentially its not happening anymore. Unfortunately Cotton is the figure head and will have to suffer the consequencies and the S&C coach should be right behind him. Husker success on offence lives and dies with these young men.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I seen many of this years O-lineman right after the rained out spring game. Lets just hope these kids were not in game shape back then.

I remember those championship year lineman being chiseled and solid muscle. I did not see that in the spring. But I am sure they have been working hard. Maybe those walk-ons pushed the others to the weight room.

We need our identity back. Lets get behind Barney and the Boys. It's Time. Rose Bowl here we come.

I wonder why internet posters always crucify Barney but give Garrison & Stai free passes? Our Oline was marginal at best during the Clownahan era too (of course, due to Barney).

Good point. It's ridiculous that our offensive line has three staff members devoted to it's progress, yet it's not up to par. Three coaches ought to have this thing firing on all cylinders.

That said, some of you seem to blame the offensive line for all of the offenses struggles, it's clearly not the only problem. I remind you. The Husker rushing record of 310 yards in a single game was set by Roy Helu behind a Barney Cotton coached offensive line. Not an offensive line of the 90's. Not only that, this offensive line is faced with the task of blocking 8 defenders in the box every single snap last year. Every team knew who to watch. They were collapsing on our run game as soon as the ball was snapped. I can't see how you expect these guys to be overly successful facing that every snap. Rex still had 1300 yards rushing by the way. Developing a passing game will do wonders for this offense and it's offensive line. You have to be able to throw the ball effectively.

But who are those coaches? Stai and Garrison have never coached before. How can they be expected to contribute much? High Schools hire people who have never coached before --- not supposed major college programs. NU under Pelini has hired coach after coach who has never before coached in the role they were hired for --- and Pelini himself falls into that category. When you hire guys w/o experience... well... do not expect much.

Cotton is a known commodity and is mediocre. So... yes we have three coaches there and... no... it is not surprising that there are still issues.