Is Interstate 280 coming to Lincoln anytime soon?

I hate to be crude, well ok maybe I don't but you all sound like a bunch of hayseed hicks if you think Lincoln has traffic problems even at its worst (excluding game day of course since that is to be expected).

I've lived in San Francisco. I drove to work on Market every morning. I know what real traffic is.

Nobody is saying Lincoln's traffic issues are comparable to those in New York, Chicago, LA or San Francisco. We're saying there are infrastructure problems.

I hate to be crude, well ok maybe I don't but you all sound like a bunch of hayseed hicks if you think Lincoln has traffic problems even at its worst (excluding game day of course since that is to be expected).

I've lived in San Francisco. I drove to work on Market every morning. I know what real traffic is.

Nobody is saying Lincoln's traffic issues are comparable to those in New York, Chicago, LA or San Francisco. We're saying there are infrastructure problems.

Infrastructure problems? Yes. But Infrastructure problems that will require tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars to fix so we can get to the mall 5 minutes faster? Sorry, but the fix isn't going to happen anytime soon unless some of you want to start ponying up some serious cash. While I agree that there is blame to go to the local neighborhoods and the council members who represent those areas, can you really blame them? Does anyone here want to live next to a four or six lane road? 27th street at least four laned all the way would make the most sense of an immediate improvement but I can also see how that would also gut that neighborhood around Sheridan.

Also I don't think it's as simple as saying we have some council members or neighborhoods that are simply holding things back since a lot of those areas were there and well established before Lincoln expanded. I think of areas like College View, Havelock or University Place that were their own little villages before Lincoln gobbled them up. They were there first before anyone knew what a modern day city planner was. Are people willing to knock down areas like that for four or six lanes of uninterrupted traffic? There is a lot of character in those areas that would be lost for the sake of better traffic flow, but hey! We need to get to the mall five minutes faster! Sorry Engine House Cafe and Misty's, you are in the way.

All I know for sure is the more you look at things around the older parts of Lincoln, there is no easy fix for any of it.

I hate to be crude, well ok maybe I don't but you all sound like a bunch of hayseed hicks if you think Lincoln has traffic problems even at its worst (excluding game day of course since that is to be expected). I do agree there are a lot of the older parts of town that are impossible to fix unless you start tearing down houses and businesses but at least the newer areas even if they haven't four laned them yet on the square miles, they have at least left the room to do it in the future. Sure a beltway or two would be nice but where the heck is that money going to come from in this economy?

Where did it come from for Antelope Valley and the arena? Money has never seemed to be an issue for Lincoln's projects.

The arena would have never happened without the backing of the University and even with that I am still a little surprised it got the go ahead although I am glad they did. Antelope Valley? It's been under development for quite a while and I have a hard time believing it would have ever got the go ahead if it was trying to get started today in this economy which is why I believe major road improvements are going to be a ways off until the economy improves because the federal money is going to be harder and harder to get and it's going to take a lot to get something like a beltway built.

Linking 84th street to I-80, making 77 controlled access all the way down to Satillo Rd, and linking 77 to Pine Lake and Yankee Hill road would help a lot. I guess getting around town I don't have too much of a problem, but there are plenty of streets that could use a total overhaul (like A) to support more traffic during rush hour.

Lincoln is going to continue growing - period, end of debate. I live in a part of Lincoln where it's entirely unrealistic to drive anywhere south or east of campus. Why? Because of ridiculous drive time. And don't even think about going somewhere during rush hour, because it makes things exponentially worse.

knapplc is absolutely right - it's a quickly growing city with a I-live-with-only-500-other-people mentality.

The major problem is Lincoln has done little-to-nothing over the last several decades to cushion growth. They've been idiots.