Band

Okay... this has been an interesting discussion. For anyone that thinks the marching band at Nebraska doesn't measure up? We were the fifteenth recipient of the Sudler Trophy, found here:

http://en.wikipedia....e_Sudler_Trophy

Basically, recognizing marching bands around the country that, in the words of the organization giving it out, "identify and recognize collegiate marching bands of particular excellence who have made outstanding contributions to the American way of life. The Sudler Trophy is awarded annually to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years."

Yeah, that's great...for the 1996 Nebraska Cornhusker Marching Band. But 16 years later, and we're doing the same stuff similar things that we did in 1996. While there's something to be said for believing in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", that doesn't exactly ring true with entertainment.

Frankly, our band may be good to the "Blue Hairs" (who traditionally don't like loud noise or music), but we do need to step things up now that we're in the B1G.

Yeah, mmg. Forgive me if I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think you read what I actually posted. That wasn't for the '96 band. If you read the description of the award, it's actually for having a history of having demonstrated prowess at the highest level in that field. In other words, more of a 'lifetime achievement' style award if you will. You can also only win once, and ours was only the fifteenth to have won the award. The band since that time has kept that same level of excellence, that same level of performance. I don't agree that we need to step ANYTHING up. We're already there, and I think that recognition backs that up. I'm not a big fan of 'modernizing' just for the sake of it. I think this is one area where modernization does nothing but hurt. So I'll likely be one of those asking to keep the excellence we have, instead of trying to 'step things up', when I don't think we have anything in need of 'stepping up'. I think our level is already there.