Week One Thoughts

Excel

I've noticed many things since Thursday that don't fit in other threads so here;

SEC

• Vandy is good and will only get better. South Carolina is slightly overrated.
  • Florida is overrated.
  • Dooley's seat is a little cooler in Knoxville but he's not out of the woods yet. The SEC East race is wide open.
  • Honey Badger is gone but LSU doesn't seem to miss him.

B1G

• Minnesota is improved, not that beating a 2-10 UNLV team in multiple OT's is impressive but last year the Gophers lose that game. That said they will lose to Syracuse. Gray isn't a great passer but its not like they can bench him. His four TD's proved he is their offense right now.
  • Purdue looked like a legitimate division contender in their win over EKU. They beat them like you're supposed to 48-6.
  • It's hard to read Iowa. They played a very good NIU team whose coaching staff has tons of B1G experience but it was still too close. Their schedule is easy and they're going to need it.
  • While their opponent was no pushover, Penn State has officially begun slipping into an age of darkness.
  • Wisconsin is back to pre-Wilson football. O'Brien had a great first game and will be the typical pro-passing game manager as many predicted. Ball seemed rusty. Defense looked great the first three quarters then horrible in the fourth.
  • Michigan State's defense is as stout as ever. Maxwell is going to need work and should be limited until he gets more experience. Bell is the real deal but no way he can keep up 40+ carries each game.
  • Ohio State already looks like an Urban Meyer team. Things will be scary next year.
  • The Cardiac Cats of Northwestern are alive and well and should be fun to watch.
  • Sorry Rex but NU may have bought the wrong domain name this year.

Big XII

• West Virginia, with its high powered offense and meh defense, will fit right in the Big XII.

Pac-12

• Leach is going to take awhile at Wazoo.
  • Stanford's time in the spotlight is over.
  • Mora finally found a team he can coach halfway well in UCLA.

Other

• The annual Notre Dame media love-fest-then-crash-and-burn roller coaster ride seems likely to continue in to 2012.

That's all I got. What say you?

I don't necessarily agree with your take on PSU. Ohio is supposed to be a pretty solid team this year.

Ohio is definitely a solid team but PSU sans Sandusky scandal wins that game. It's not even an issue of talent, it's about attitude. Penn State looked like they gave up during the Bobcats' rally. I can see Penn State losing every game save for Navy, Temple and Indiana the first two of which could still give them trouble.

I don't necessarily agree with your take on PSU. Ohio is supposed to be a pretty solid team this year.

Ohio is definitely a solid team but PSU sans Sandusky scandal wins that game. It's not even an issue of talent, it's about attitude. Penn State looked like they gave up during the Bobcats' rally. I can see Penn State losing every game save for Navy, Temple and Indiana the first two of which could still give them trouble.

PSU did appear to give up early right around the time Ohio got their first TD.

Alabama looks really good and Dennard Robinson may lead the country for interceptions. Did anyone notice will about 4-6 mins left in the game, the broadcasters had our schedule posted and it did not show the Minnesota game? I make a bracket of all the games each year and pass it out amongst about 15 tail gators. I left of Minnesota as well. But i cut and pasted my schedule from the internet (would the internet post false truths?) Anyway, ABC must have used the same Husker website as I. I don't have a copy of the game, but it was interesting to say the least. None of those guys who were mocking me, saw the tv. So I am like Lone Wolf Maquaid.

I've noticed many things since Thursday that don't fit in other threads so here;

SEC

• Vandy is good and will only get better. South Carolina is slightly overrated.
  • Florida is overrated.
  • Dooley's seat is a little cooler in Knoxville but he's not out of the woods yet. The SEC East race is wide open.
  • Honey Badger is gone but LSU doesn't seem to miss him.

Not sure what's happened to the SEC east. Florida just hasn't been physical since Tebow left.

B1G

• Minnesota is improved, not that beating a 2-10 UNLV team in multiple OT's is impressive but last year the Gophers lose that game. That said they will lose to Syracuse. Gray isn't a great passer but its not like they can bench him. His four TD's proved he is their offense right now.
  • Purdue looked like a legitimate division contender in their win over EKU. They beat them like you're supposed to 48-6.
  • It's hard to read Iowa. They played a very good NIU team whose coaching staff has tons of B1G experience but it was still too close. Their schedule is easy and they're going to need it.
  • While their opponent was no pushover, Penn State has officially begun slipping into an age of darkness.
  • Wisconsin is back to pre-Wilson football. O'Brien had a great first game and will be the typical pro-passing game manager as many predicted. Ball seemed rusty. Defense looked great the first three quarters then horrible in the fourth.
  • Michigan State's defense is as stout as ever. Maxwell is going to need work and should be limited until he gets more experience. Bell is the real deal but no way he can keep up 40+ carries each game.
  • Ohio State already looks like an Urban Meyer team. Things will be scary next year.
  • The Cardiac Cats of Northwestern are alive and well and should be fun to watch.
  • Sorry Rex but NU may have bought the wrong domain name this year.

• Bullet points. FTW

• PSU needs to get rid of McGloin or they really will be sucked into Otherworld. He's never delivered what was needed,

• You can't read too much into these JUCO beatdowns. We know Purdon't would be a middling MAC team if they played where they should. Still I picked them as an upset aleart for ND preseason and am still worried about their 8th year QB.

• Poor lil wolfies got hurt against big brother's friends. Tell those Bama Boyz to pick on someone their own size.

• Ohio State smacks local feeder school,. Water is wet.

• It's much harder without Russel Wilson. Kind of like Paul Chryst finds it much harder without the jumbo sized oline.

Big XII

• West Virginia, with its high powered offense and meh defense, will fit right in the Big XII.

Pac-12

• Leach is going to take awhile at Wazoo.
  • Stanford's time in the spotlight is over.
  • Mora finally found a team he can coach halfway well in UCLA.

• Wazzoo played with a kind of tenacity and drive that we haven't seen since they came to South Bend as reigning PAC champion, which must mean since the leather helmet era. However, their execution was about the same.

Other

• The annual Notre Dame media love-fest-then-crash-and-burn roller coaster ride seems likely to continue in to 2012.

• Damn straight.