Defending Mobile QBs

'SkersRule

With all the talk about what Southern Miss did and the natural concerns about facing Braxton Miller, Dennard Robinson, Cain Colter, etc I've been thinking about how I would defend these guys if I was NU's DC.

Here's what I would do: I'd run a variation of Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. I'd run a scheme with 3 DTs, two DEs, one or two LBs, and four or five (depending on the down/distance/scenario).

The three DTs would be placed head up, or a zero technique, over both guards and the center.

The two DEs would be widened out to set the containment edge.

The LBs would be charged with running sideline to sideline to defend the running game.

The four or five DBs would have one responsibility-to cover their guy and do not let him get open

In summary, the front six or seven would stuff the run and apply pressure in passing situations and the back four or five would cover.

And oh, my DBs would be up on line playing tight press coverage. None of this off playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage crap.

Thoughts?

skers- your defense works IF those front five do their job and actually stuff the run and get edge containment. Considering those two aspects are inherent with virtually any defensive scheme, I guess I don't see where your plan solves the problems our D has exhibited. We get pushed off the line often and seem slow in pursuit and running sideline to sideline.. I will reserve judgement until I've seen this unit play some more games but I was not impressed with our DL play yesterday. I think one of the biggest reasons we held them to just thirteen offensive points had to do with their coach playing 3 QB's when Alford alone was giving us fits. He screwed the pooch by going with that third guy. I am not disappointed with the end result but I sure didn't think we dominated defensively by any means. I know Bama is on a completely different level but I, for one, won't be really satisfied until that level is at least in sight.

skers- your defense works IF those front five do their job and actually stuff the run and get edge containment. Considering those two aspects are inherent with virtually any defensive scheme, I guess I don't see where your plan solves the problems our D has exhibited. We get pushed off the line often and seem slow in pursuit and running sideline to sideline.. I will reserve judgement until I've seen this unit play some more games but I was not impressed with our DL play yesterday. I think one of the biggest reasons we held them to just thirteen offensive points had to do with their coach playing 3 QB's when Alford alone was giving us fits. He screwed the pooch by going with that third guy. I am not disappointed with the end result but I sure didn't think we dominated defensively by any means. I know Bama is on a completely different level but I, for one, won't be really satisfied until that level is at least in sight.

I think we tend to get pushed around on the DL because we have a LT pretending to be a DT. But also with just two DTs in a 4-3 set, the interior OL can usually double team both the DTs. But you insert a 3rd DT, and have them play a zero technique, it makes it literally impossible for the OL to double team any of the DTs. And you put our DTs in one on one matchups and I really like our chances.

I agree with the premise of getting bigger more athletic DT's across the line. Jam up the line and allow the LB's to cover sideline to sideline. I would love to see Bo pull put a 2003 re-do and bring back the Super D stand up LB/DE. IIRC, he was second in tackles to RUUD, let the team in sacks, TFL and fumbles caused and/or recovered. Don't need this D every game, but against mobile QB's, disrupting their plans BEHIND the LOS might help. Guys hold their lanes and if he scrambles, guys should be able to close.

I anticipate our DB's being able to cover QB's better this year. We appear to have more speed.

Here is a quick bio of Super D and his 2003 campaign. (Not to mention we led the nation in TO's, and tied the record for most INT's in a season IIRC)

2003 (Senior)

Linebacker Demorrio Williams played a dominant role on the Blackshirt defense by finishing second on the team in total tackles, while leading the Huskers in sacks, tackles for loss, quarterback hurries and fumble recoveries, setting the tone for one of the nation's top defenses.

Williams earned first-team All-big 12 honors from the Associated Press and was one of 10 semifinalists for the Butkus Award in 2003. The Beckville, Texas, native earned Midseason All-America honors from SI.com and Collegefootballnews.com. He capped his career with two sacks in a 17-3 Alamo Bowl win over MichiganState to earn a spot on ESPN.com's All-Bowl team.

Williams' play-making abilities helped him become a fourth-round pick (101st overall selection) of the Atlanta Falcons in the 2004 NFL Draft.

The 6-1, 215-pounder finished 2003 with 128 total tackles, second only to Barrett Ruud's NU record 149 stops. Williams' 128 stops were the fifth-highest single-season total in Husker history, and his 83 solo tackles set a Nebraska single-season record. He and Ruud became the first pair of Huskers to top the century mark in tackles in the same season since 1981.

Williams' huge senior year moved him into the top 20 on Nebraska's career tackle list in just two seasons after transferring from Kilgore Junior College. He compiled a team-high 92 stops in 2002, and his 220 career tackles are tied for 17th on the Husker career list.

In pass rushing situations, Williams lined up at defensive end and wreaked havoc on opposing quarterbacks by notching 11 sacks for 77 yards lost. The 11 sacks are a school record for linebackers and tied for fourth on NU's single-season sack chart. The 11 sacks ranked third nationally among linebackers, while ha added four fumble recoveries. He also caused a pair of fumbles and hurried opposing quarterbacks a team-high 13 times, including three interceptions caused.

Williams intercepted the first pass of his career at Missouri to thwart a Tiger scoring threat, and he broke up five passes on the season. On special teams, he blocked a first-quarter punt against Iowa State that was returned for a touchdown by Josh Bullocks to give NU a 21-0 lead, and returned a blocked field goal 16 yards at Texas.

Against Utah State, Williams posted a Husker linebacker record three sacks and forced fumbles on two of those sacks, one of which he recovered at the Aggie 1-yard line. He was named Big 12 defensive Player of the Week for his efforts in that contest. He earned his second conference player-of-the-week award at Kansasafter posting 14 tackles, including a career-high four tackles for loss (17 yards), 1.5 sacks, two quarterback hurries and his fourth fumble recovery of the season. A week later he established a career- best with 16 tackles against Kansas State.

Here is a link to him on you tube

FREE THE NEW SUPER D

SPEED KILLS

lo,

It should be noted that DeMorrio was initally a safety who was moved to LB. I think that to get the fastest, most athletic defense possible on the field that Nebraska needs to switch players to other positions as soon as they arrive on campus and then keep them there.

For example, DE Greg McMullen to DT and let him grow into a 320-330 pound run stuffing DT. Taking safeties Cooper and Stafford and making them LBs. Converting guys like Ciante and Andrew to safety.

The whole point is to make the defense as fast and athletic as possible and clearly Bo isn't maximizing the potential--I think.

lo,

It should be noted that DeMorrio was initally a safety who was moved to LB. I think that to get the fastest, most athletic defense possible on the field that Nebraska needs to switch players to other positions as soon as they arrive on campus and then keep them there.

For example, DE Greg McMullen to DT and let him grow into a 320-330 pound run stuffing DT. Taking safeties Cooper and Stafford and making them LBs. Converting guys like Ciante and Andrew to safety.

The whole point is to make the defense as fast and athletic as possible and clearly Bo isn't maximizing the potential--I think.

I agree 100%. I like what Bo did with Haag and Gomes. How about SJB to that role? He is a big dude. I saw another person speak of Fish bulked up to a DE with the height. For some reason, at least IMO, Bo will do that with the DB's, but appears reluctant to move any one else.

Seems like we need to get faster on the DL. Regardless of schemes shown from MSU we still look slow up front (same as last year) and save David, slow in the LB's last year as well. I was hoping to see more of the younger guys play on the DL and the LB position. When the guys were in a position to make a play they whiffed, arm tackled or over pursued. I hope we saw a lot on film that we can correct. I am worried that the same issues we faced last year, appear to be the same we have seen (at least for me) on Sat.

With all the talk about what Southern Miss did and the natural concerns about facing Braxton Miller, Dennard Robinson, Cain Colter, etc I've been thinking about how I would defend these guys if I was NU's DC.

Here's what I would do: I'd run a variation of Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. I'd run a scheme with 3 DTs, two DEs, one or two LBs, and four or five (depending on the down/distance/scenario).

The three DTs would be placed head up, or a zero technique, over both guards and the center.

The two DEs would be widened out to set the containment edge.

The LBs would be charged with running sideline to sideline to defend the running game.

The four or five DBs would have one responsibility-to cover their guy and do not let him get open

In summary, the front six or seven would stuff the run and apply pressure in passing situations and the back four or five would cover.

And oh, my DBs would be up on line playing tight press coverage. None of this off playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage crap.

Thoughts?

The biggest problem I see with this is that most teams run the spread out of 10 and 11 personal (3 and 4 WR sets), so you're in nickel and dime most of the time.

lo,

I agree 100%. I like what Bo did with Haag and Gomes. How about SJB to that role? He is a big dude. I saw another person speak of Fish bulked up to a DE with the height. For some reason, at least IMO, Bo will do that with the DB's, but appears reluctant to move any one else.

Seems like we need to get faster on the DL. Regardless of schemes shown from MSU we still look slow up front (same as last year) and save David, slow in the LB's last year as well. I was hoping to see more of the younger guys play on the DL and the LB position. When the guys were in a position to make a play they whiffed, arm tackled or over pursued. I hope we saw a lot on film that we can correct. I am worried that the same issues we faced last year, appear to be the same we have seen (at least for me) on Sat.

You gotta think as the year goes and the younger guys start to figure it out a little more that they will see the field more. I thought the series that Moss and Curry got to play that they looked pretty stout and didn't get pushed off the LOS as much, but it was late in the game and the USM Oline may have been gased.

The biggest problem I see with this is that most teams run the spread out of 10 and 11 personal (3 and 4 WR sets), so you're in nickel and dime most of the time.

The difference is that in conference only Michigan, Northwestern, and Ohio State have agile and mobile QBs that would need this type of defense. And in reality, those teams I mentioned, they already run mostly 10 and 11 personnel. Ohio State can still run 22 and 23 personnel but that is pretty rare any more. The rest of the teams on our present schedule employ mostly pocket passers who aren't a threat to take off and run.