4.5 point favorites over UCLA

So Rice may not be the best bellwether for how good UCLA is, especially UCLA's offense. They're bad, and they've been consistently bad on defense for five years.

True. But don't forget about the UCLA defense, who was able to shut Rice down. As inept as Rice may be, shutting an opponent out and holding them to 70 yards in a half is pretty decent.

And how much was UCLA holding back? We have jack for film on this group--while it was a factor for a half against Southern Miss, UCLA does have better athletes than Southern Miss. That athletic prowess could overcome any inexperience and make this game more interesting than we'd care for, and certainly closer than the blowout predictions that seem to be all over the board as of late.

UCLA probably has better athletes overall, but if you are talking about individual athletes....Jamie Collins is a pretty solid DE for SMU. Is there any athlete on UCLA's team that has been as successful as Collins thus far!? I don't think so...now, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, Collins wasn't huge factor in the NEB game....he did get a sack on TMart...but other than that, he didn't really look too disruptive for NEB's offensive line. I would say UCLA is slightly better than USM, but not better by leaps and bounds. I am not too worried about this game honestly....we'll see.

With respect to UCLA, I just don't think they're there yet. Obviously an upset isn't inconceivable...the smart money says Burkhead doesn't make the trip, so if 2010-2011 TMart shows up instead of what we saw Saturday, UCLA's got a shot....That said look at Bo's record taking this team into hostile environments against teams that we should beat on paper. By my count, he's 11-0, and most of those were fairly lopsided.

If I had to pick a score at this point, I'd say 48-21 Nebraska, so obviously I'd take that line if I were a betting man.

Two thoughts:

The Rosebowl won't exactly be a "hostile environment" more of a neutral site.

Having said that, Didn't UCLA go into Austin and destroy the Lonhorns basically running right up their cow sphincters? yes, and J. Franklin did most of the running.....some things to think about

UCLA has an odd hex over Texas. In 98 I remember they absolutely bayoneted a Texas team that had Ricky Williams on the roster. Granted UCLA was pretty damn good that year, but still.

and we've had a hex on UCLA-for the most part, but J. Franklin is a beast.... just saying

Where do you get this "hex" thing? Nebraska's record with UCLA is 6-4 with one victory being a wopping one-point one, 14-13. You can make the point that overall over the last 25 years that Nebraska has had a better football program than UCLA has but I do not see how you can make the case that Nebraska has dominated UCLA in their head-to-head competition.

Regarding UCLA having athletes to compete with us: It may be a question of, do we have the athletes to compete with them? Here are their last five recruiting classes next to ours:

Year - UCLA / NU

2008 - 13 / 30

2009 - 14 / 28

2010 - 8 / 22

2011 - 45 / 15

2012 - 13 / 25

One factor in the U clu less ratings: they recruit in a more urban location. More media there, so the recruits get pumped more so they are higher rated.

With respect to UCLA, I just don't think they're there yet. Obviously an upset isn't inconceivable...the smart money says Burkhead doesn't make the trip, so if 2010-2011 TMart shows up instead of what we saw Saturday, UCLA's got a shot....That said look at Bo's record taking this team into hostile environments against teams that we should beat on paper. By my count, he's 11-0, and most of those were fairly lopsided.

If I had to pick a score at this point, I'd say 48-21 Nebraska, so obviously I'd take that line if I were a betting man.

Two thoughts:

The Rosebowl won't exactly be a "hostile environment" more of a neutral site.

Having said that, Didn't UCLA go into Austin and destroy the Lonhorns basically running right up their cow sphincters? yes, and J. Franklin did most of the running.....some things to think about

UCLA has an odd hex over Texas. In 98 I remember they absolutely bayoneted a Texas team that had Ricky Williams on the roster. Granted UCLA was pretty damn good that year, but still.

and we've had a hex on UCLA-for the most part, but J. Franklin is a beast.... just saying

Where do you get this "hex" thing? Nebraska's record with UCLA is 6-4 with one victory being a wopping one-point one, 14-13. You can make the point that overall over the last 25 years that Nebraska has had a better football program than UCLA has but I do not see how you can make the case that Nebraska has dominated UCLA in their head-to-head competition.

Try 50 years.

Forget it Bruleif...on this board, you are an automatic troll if your point differs from theirs or if you root for the opposing team.

There are people who respond without thinking on every board but I have found that over the years the Nebraska fans are very well informed about college football, much more so than the average UCLA fan, I would say.