Comparing the conventions….

Comish

Lots of opinions out here on the relative strengths and weaknesses I’m sure.

But the 1 thing that stood out for me was the almost universal ANGER of the delegates at the DNC. Why, you’d have thought they were the party out of power, the way the speeches and commentary railed at everything. Maybe they need to be reminded that they are the incumbent power and not the challenger. Thus, why so much angst ?

Lots of opinions out here on the relative strengths and weaknesses I’m sure.

But the 1 thing that stood out for me was the almost universal ANGER of the delegates at the DNC. Why, you’d have thought they were the party out of power, the way the speeches and commentary railed at everything. Maybe they need to be reminded that they are the incumbent power and not the challenger. Thus, why so much angst ?

maybe because there is a lot at stake?

the other funny thing, much much funnier in my opinion, was how the republican governors all talked about how great their states are doing, yet obama has to go because he is so terrible for the economy. such cognitive dissonance.

the other funny thing, much much funnier in my opinion, was how the republican governors all talked about how great their states are doing, yet obama has to go because he is so terrible for the economy. such cognitive dissonance.

It's not cognitive dissonance!

Bad things = Obama's fault.

Good things = Despite Obama.

I watched the speeches from Ryan and Romney's s during the Republican convention, John Lewis, Clinton, and, Biden, and Obama from the Democratic convention...and have no idea what Comish is talking about. Apples to apples Ryan / Romney vs. Biden / Obama were roughly the same type of speech. Ryan is a poor public speaker, while Biden is a bit of a bumbler, but more believable conveying emotions. I was literally had the hardest laugh @ polic Romney is an adequate public speaker in his conventions and usually very good at expressing ideas, but falls flat with emotion. Obama is, well, Obama. The only raw emotion I saw during the Republican convention was the shouting down of Ron Paul delegates.

Anyway that's what conventions are for now, there will never be another convention to actually convene and decide on a candidate since the primary process has taken over that responsibility. They are meant to put some sounds bites out in the media and energize the base to get out for the final push into November. So if we're gauging partisan enthusiasm, who won? Clinton's speech was a big hit on the Internet with his systematic dismantling of Republican talking points during their convention, while remnants of the Republican speeches have been overwhelming negative. In fact I'd say we're now entered the period of a a Clintonesque Democratic party, much the same as Reaganism swept over the Republican party in the last decade.

tl;dr Republicans should focus their efforts reanimating Reagan for the 2016 convention.

For the most part, the conventions are useless. They are live infomercials presented in front of a friendly crowd.

We should be able to learn more about candidate policy in the debates, unfortunately most questions are softball, and candidates often avoid the questions and go into their prepared oration.

We need a format like that at the Doha Debates, where the moderator asks tough questions and does not accept bullcrap answers.

Sub! Where have you been?

virginia_fs.jpg

I've been spending alot of my time reading and with spiritual endeavors the past few months. It was sort of a reset on my outlook on life, looking in depth at concerns and issues of importance to me, coming to grips with what I could accept and what I should not, and which I could influence and how.

We started a garden, which was alot of work. I also put up 4kw solar panels with a water heater, propane generator and battery backup. We also did alot of traveling, and visited and hosted distant family members.

All in all a very positive time for me, and now I'm ready for some football!

BTW... prayers for the Tulane safety who had stopped breathing on the field after a nasty injury.

We started a garden, which was alot of work. I also put up 4kw solar panels with a water heater, propane generator and battery backup. We also did alot of traveling, and visited and hosted distant family members.

All in all a very positive time for me, and now I'm ready for some football!

Sounds like a very productive summer. I'm also looking forward to gardening next summer . . . mostly because I enjoy good food.