Thought about our O...

The King

Something struck me as odd this game...

Notice how UCLA was always sending people in motion? Very rarely did they hike the ball from the same formation they came up to the ball in.

Why doesn't Nebraska do this frequently? Why don't we try to get our athletes in space in one on one matchups like most other great offenses? Jamal Turner, Kenny Bell?

Seems like we hike the ball without motion a lot and certainly don't try and get our athletes in space to go one on one ala Oregon with DAT, or UCLA with Jonathan Franklin/Shaq, ASU with DJ Foster, Oklahoma with Broyles, etc.

We tried that whole motion thing before and it didn't work out so well. False starts became the norm for us during that time.

I rather enjoyed the 20 shifts we did before the ball was snapped when Callahan was our coach. It really confused the defense.

I did as well, but it seemed like everytime we had a drive going, we'd have a false start penalty that killed the drive.

Beck's play calling sucked in the 2nd half. Recall the announcers last night late in the 4th, when UCLA went for it on the swing out pass to their RB. Commented to win, you need to get the ball into the playmakers hands in space and let them work. I saw nothing done by Beck in the 2nd to negate their pursuit and blitzes. NOTHING. When we went to Heard and it worked, Beck abandoned it for Taylor Montana.

Braylon Heard is a stud. For some reason our coaches don't want talented players on the field. It makes me question the ability of our coaches when guys like him and Jean-Baptiste have trouble getting playing time. I've really disinvested from the whole thing and don't get mad anymore. It's a lot more enjoyable when you see it for what it is instead of foaming at the mouth,yelling, and upsetting innocent bystanders.

The defense? Talent problem.

Hey, did you guys see the K State game? They really tore it up and appear to be a legit team.

Beck is the prob. Why he goes away from the run when it is working boggles me. I can see a play action to change it up but to go to pure throwing?

Sometimes I think his headset is connected to the network and they're telling him to keep it close for ratings....that's the only explanation I've come up with for the unexplainable. These guys that fold under pressure every time are the exact opposite of the kind of people you want to build a team with.

Braylon Heard is a stud. For some reason our coaches don't want talented players on the field. It makes me question the ability of our coaches when guys like him and Jean-Baptiste have trouble getting playing time. I've really disinvested from the whole thing and don't get mad anymore. It's a lot more enjoyable when you see it for what it is instead of foaming at the mouth,yelling, and upsetting innocent bystanders.

The defense? Talent problem.

Hey, did you guys see the K State game? They really tore it up and appear to be a legit team.

I don't think it comes down to not wanting talented players on the field. I think it comes down to those players understanding their respective positions enough to get more playing time. I get they need to learn, but are you willing to allow a few more losses for that development in a real time game situation? I'm torn, I see both sides, we won't win a national championship anytime soon, but we only lost one game and the B1G is still a possibility albeit a pipe dream right now.

I was wondering why they seemed to have always have a guy in motion. Apparently they run a lot of "ghost" option to confuse the defense. I didn't see the UCLA/Rice game so i don't know if they ran it often during that game as well. I saw a lot of the time that Husker defense was always rushing to cover the guy in motion and a lot of confusion between the players of who their assigned guy was during the motion.

I was wondering why they seemed to have always have a guy in motion. Apparently they run a lot of "ghost" option to confuse the defense. I didn't see the UCLA/Rice game so i don't know if they ran it often during that game as well. I saw a lot of the time that Husker defense was always rushing to cover the guy in motion and a lot of confusion between the players of who their assigned guy was during the motion.

I seen a lot of open passes to the running back in the flats covered by NOBODY! Where the hell is the LB to pick that one up? Or the corner if the route he was covering was to the inside? Basic defensive assignments that aren't covered because one guy is in motion and the whole defense looks at him. Reminds me of that scene from Necessary Roughness!