what the loss to UCLA is really about for me

Husker66

for me its not about losing to UCLA, its about where out football program has been heading for some time. yesterday was another reminder (see Texas, Iowa state, Northwestern, etc.) for a broken record...

Having been a die hard fan for 40 years, i just dont see the will, the desire, the expectation, the commitment, the week to week consistency anymore that made the program so great. yes "maybe " we had some advantages back in the day, but we won largely with 3 stars and walk ons. we had kids who came hear and played their guts out. we had kids who gave up everything for the chance to prove themselves, the team used to be 3 deep with Rex burkheads, now guys like him are an anomoly. they left everything on the field. we didnt ever hear " we just didnt play hard today": if we hadnt taken care of business, we forced our will on teams in the 4th quarter, we were more physical. we wanted it more, we expected more

thats why i am bummed out. i dont care about the state of the b1G, who lost to who or any of that. we havent been the same program for 12 years or so. im not smart enough to know if Bo is the guy or not, but I do see the drop off in so many areas and dont see whn that comes back.

Totalling agree, the inconsistency that we see from week to week last year may be back. And what the heck is up with our kicking game. I know Maher is not Alex Henry but come on, the guy stinks. We had poor field position most of the game and the field goals he misses are huge. Do we have anyone else other than Maher

I do not understand how Maher can be so good last year and fall apart this year. But one thing that has changed is that everyone has a great strength and conditioning program and practice facilities. We used to take these guys in and train them up for 2 to 3 years before they would see the field. Now there is such a difference in high school football and you add in how the internet has changed everything in how they make their decisions it's just not the same as it was 20 years ago. I'm just glad I'm not a coach because I don't have the answers, I'm just a fan that really wants to see us win and wants the coach to get these kids to be fired up to play and not revert to poor play after making us think there had been strides made.