Zaire Anderson to start at WILL this week

knapplc

Game speed vs. clocked speed. Maybe Anderson will have it and maybe he won't but look at Zac Lee. He was reported to run a 4.6 and there were reports that he smoked someone significant (can't remember who) in a footrace at practice before. He never looked like a 4.6 guy to me on Saturdays...

Quentin Castille, and Zac was always plenty fast. He just wasn't a runner - the kind of guy that carries the ball like a RB and has vision, moves, etc, like a runner. He was always a pass-first guy, but give him space and an open field and he will take off. I remember the Kansas game in '09, he got a chance to flash his wheels once or twice. Zac had serious wheels.

I'm not sure if Whaley is game speed slow either. It could be hesitation and being in the wrong position, as well as not finishing tackles. He's been in the backfield a few times, hasn't he? I'm not familiar with the scouting report on him, but I thought he was considered one of our more athletic guys back there, or at least was a few years ago.

yeah, not thinking is a GREAT idea on defense ;)

We got out-thunk by UCLA. Their formation shifts kept confusing us and leaving us in a bad position. Their routes...I'm not even sure I should use that in the plural, but the point is they kept getting their man in the flat in open space with no defenders anywhere close. We need to get a lot better at that thinking, not do less of it.

yeah, not thinking is a GREAT idea on defense ;)

We got out-thunk by UCLA. Their formation shifts kept confusing us and leaving us in a bad position. Their routes...I'm not even sure I should use that in the plural, but the point is they kept getting their man in the flat in open space with no defenders anywhere close. We need to get a lot better at that thinking, not do less of it.

Many times when guys think too much they get confused, and that's where the breakdowns come. When you have too complex of a checking defense guys are not on the same page alot. The coaches need to put them in the right spots with the calls, have simpler checks, so when the ball is snapped they already know what they are doing and what their job is. They can't be worrying about making a mistake, or wondering if they did the right call or check. The fact is, sometimes people overthink things and can get themselves into a lot of trouble. The thinking needs to be done more by the coaches to get the players in the right call so they can do their job and use their instincts.

I remember Bo saying many times after games when asked how good Lavonte did, he would say he did well but was out of position alot and needed to fix some things. I guarantee you it drove Bo crazy that Lavonte wouldn't do what he was supposed to do on alot of calls but just went on instinct and what he saw in film prep. But, what are you going to do when the guy is all over the field making the tackles.

Football is kind of like Love. Alot of times people let their heads get in the way and screw up a good thing.