Zaire Anderson to start at WILL this week

knapplc

I would honestly be surprised to see a 3-4. I haven't heard any of the coaches say anything about switching to a 3-4, only a few posters on this board who have speculated about it.

If anybody has a quote/vid/audio clip of Bo, Papuchis, or any of the coaches saying anything about switching to a 3-4, I would love to hear it.

This isn't evidence that we are switching to it, but that it is in our back pocket. I can recall at least one time during UCLA and I think USM seeing us in a 3-4 look where they pulled either Merideth or Martin off the line and they became a 4th backer.

Is there anything wrong with playing nickel or dime against a 4-WR set, or are we supposed to line up LBs against slot receivers?

I don't think there's anything wrong with our defense. Naturally the coaches will always be working in different looks and wrinkles. It's part of the year-by-year evolution of the defense. When we have issues with playcalling and execution, I don't think that means you have to scrap your entire philosophy and go for something different, although that might appease the fanbase.

What, don't run a 4-4 against 5 WR? Are you stupid?

**Please don't make me have to use the sarcasm emoticon**

Is there anything wrong with playing nickel or dime against a 4-WR set, or are we supposed to line up LBs against slot receivers?

I don't think there's anything wrong with our defense. Naturally the coaches will always be working in different looks and wrinkles. It's part of the year-by-year evolution of the defense. When we have issues with playcalling and execution, I don't think that means you have to scrap your entire philosophy and go for something different, although that might appease the fanbase.

You can line backers up against the slot, they just need to have the agility to run and cover...on top of that, we have 2 high safeties that are to cover their sides of the field and provide help if we are in man coverage.

Regardless of what formation AState uses on Saturday, there will more than likely be at least a few times we'll need a WILL linebacker out there, and instead of it being Whaley, it will be Anderson. Just because it's not the most prominent position on the field doesn't mean it's a waste of a move by the defensive coaches. Whaley flat out did not have a good game last week.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the nickel or the dime, the only problem is the QB has time to read a newspaper and smoke a cigarette while waiting for his receivers to get open. Either the d-line needs to get some penetration, or someone needs to blitz. Seems like we don't use the blitz until the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Maybe Zaire will change a bit of that with his supposed blitzing power. If the whole philosophy of the dline not penetrating is that they are supposed to contain the QB, how well is that working out for us? Mobile QBS kill us running around the field. I don't think they need to change philosophy, just be willing to make adjustments to it before the game is already lost.

I think we still see a lot of Compton though. It seems that he my be the brains of the whole deal. He may be a step slow but he does always seem to be in the right position. He would help a ton to have that much more athletic addition next to him.

He's leading the team in tackles so yeah, he's no David, but he'll be out there.

402820_362514600491197_776872976_n.jpg

@Sean_Callahan

Papuchis added NU has always lined up 6 inches off the ball, but they went to a foot because they thought it would help the DL read the gaps

THIS to me was very upsetting. He said 2 years ago was when they made this change. It seems ironic to me that our D-Line play dropped off significantly beginning 2 years ago. I know that Suh had a lot to do with that, but every D-Line player seems to be getting worse in the last couple of years.

You can line backers up against the slot, they just need to have the agility to run and cover...on top of that, we have 2 high safeties that are to cover their sides of the field and provide help if we are in man coverage.

yeah, maybe if they're 5'10, 185 and have hips like Shakira. But then they would be called 'cornerbacks.'

The high safeties are for the deep zones, not for the short stuff. Line up linebackers against slot receivers, and you're going to have guys beating them on every play.

So, Anderson would be taking the place of? Whaley? Is that right?

You would be correct.

Thanks

I am shocked there are no "tweets" about who/what the 3-4 might look like.

I would honestly be surprised to see a 3-4. I haven't heard any of the coaches say anything about switching to a 3-4, only a few posters on this board who have speculated about it.

If anybody has a quote/vid/audio clip of Bo, Papuchis, or any of the coaches saying anything about switching to a 3-4, I would love to hear it.

I don't know if you will find the quotes, but if you look at the shift in the heights/weights/speed of the guys that we recruited last year and this year and compare these guys to previous years, it's pretty obvious to see that the defensive priorities, at least in the front 7 have shifted. This is especially true at DT where you can easily deduce that we are going from traditional 4-3 dts, to true 3-4, pile-creators.

As far as Anderson goes, I hope that people don't get too excited before the game or even if he plays well against Ark St. and assume that he is going to be the second coming of LD. Those are tough shoes to fill and I would honestly be satisfied if he a. looks athletic b. can tackle. Both of those qualities together would be an upgrade from what was out there the first two games.

Nah I don't think anyone is going to give him the Lombardi or Butkus before he takes the field. But I hear ya and I agree. I think people will be more in tune this week to watch what guys are doing on the defensive side. As oppose to following the leather ball around and yelling at the Big Screen.

Something needed to be altered on defense. So this is a wait and see type of deal for us fans, and an opportunity for ZA. Hope it works out.