Solution

OK, here we have a situation where a radical minister with (maximum) 50 followers caused an eruption of violence around an entire region of the world. Heck, the actors in the movie didn't even know what was going to be done with what they did. This literally was the actions of just a few people that 99.999999999% of Americans would never support.

In the US we have the freedom of speech. This movie would clearly fall under that freedom no matter how disgusting the intentions and result are.

SO....what is the solution? Clearly, these people in the middle east do not have the ability to understand our freedoms in this country and understand that this low life minister's actions are not condoned by the government.

I am so sick and tired of having to deal with the middle east.

Clearly, these people in the middle east do not have the ability to understand our freedoms in this country and understand that this low life minister's actions are not condoned by the government.

That's the biggest problem. They truly don't understand that the US government can't stop these messages. Since they think that the US government has the power to stop them (which they don't, thank goodness) they believe that the US government is endorsing the message.

I am so sick and tired of having to deal with the middle east.

Me too. If we weren't all so dependent on oil we wouldn't have to deal with their medieval BS.

Edit: I don't see any solution. How can you deal with irrational religious fanaticism?

You can prosecute the guy for the ramifications of his speech. Speech is free, but if that speech has consequences, you should be punished for it. I can tell carlfense to go jump off a bridge, but if he does, I should bear some responsibility for his actions. Inciting people to violence should have consequences.

You can prosecute the guy for the ramifications of his speech. Speech is free, but if that speech has consequences, you should be punished for it. I can tell carlfense to go jump off a bridge, but if he does, I should bear some responsibility for his actions. Inciting people to violence should have consequences.

It depends . . . "fighting words" and yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater are different than this sort of video. Here, the filmaker committed no crime. He exercised his lawful right to criticize a religion.

Speaking from a purely moral standpoint . . . he knew that this sort of reaction was possible (or likely) and that is wrong but there is no crime (IMO) in creating the video. However, there is a rumor the guy violated his parole/probation in making the video but that isn't related to the content of the video.

On what legal grounds could this guy be prosecuted? Now, maybe the families of the American victims could sue him personally but I doubt if he has anything worth going after.

On what legal grounds could this guy be prosecuted? Now, maybe the families of the American victims could sue him personally but I doubt if he has anything worth going after.

Don't know. Just thinking out loud. Probably none.

So do they also prosecute Bill Maher...?

Eh?

Just asking. If you believe this "film" ignited the wave of violence (which the Obama team is presenting as evidence......regardless of what others on the ground are saying), and there is chatter about prosecuting the film maker........then it would logically follow that ANY maker of such a film should also be prosecuted ..........correct?. And since Maher made a film a while ago that mainly mocked Christians BUT contained some attacks on Muslims as well, should he not also be prosecuted? Just a simple question.

Eh?

Just asking. If you believe this "film" ignited the wave of violence (which the Obama team is presenting as evidence......regardless of what others on the ground are saying), and there is chatter about prosecuting the film maker........then it would logically follow that ANY maker of such a film should also be prosecuted ..........correct?. And since Maher made a film a while ago that mainly mocked Christians BUT contained some attacks on Muslims as well, should he not also be prosecuted? Just a simple question.

I don't think either should be prosecuted for exercising their free speech rights. People should be (and are) free to make fun of Islam, Christianity, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and atheism.

Also, I think that you might be conflating the planned attack in Benghazi with the protests elsewhere. Are you claiming that this idiotic video isn't inciting violence?

(Side question: still feeling confident about Romney's chances?)

Eh?

I don't think either should be prosecuted for exercising their free speech rights. People should be (and are) free to make fun of Islam, Christianity, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and atheism.

Also, I think that you might be conflating the planned attack in Benghazi with the protests elsewhere. Are you claiming that this idiotic video isn't inciting violence?

(Side question: still feeling confident about Romney's chances?)

I'm asserting that this video is an excuse for failed policies of this administration............not the least of which is an unbelievably inexcusable failure to be doubly prepared on a symbolic day like 9/11,

(as for your side question.........Yes, still confident)