Mitt Romney drumming up money with the well-heeled

knapplc

Just for fun let's say whoever gets elected decides to tax the rich 90% and we find out afterwards we are still screwed trying to get out of this debt. What's the next step?

Has anyone here suggested that we should tax 90% of income AND/OR that taxing the rich alone will get us out of debt?

Is that straw man made of straw?

• Fire 1

Just for fun let's say whoever gets elected decides to tax the rich 90% and we find out afterwards we are still screwed trying to get out of this debt. What's the next step?

let us say we do not tax the rich hardly at all and the inequality gap is greater than anytime in the history of the nation? oh wait, that is what has been happening for the past 30 years.

we live in a world where people pay fair taxes.

If that's what you feel is fair, fine, if you say 100%, good for you, but the question is if that isn't enough then what do we do? I think if anyone can honestly answer that, then we may be able to get somewhere when it comes to balancing the budget. BTW, our debt has increased another 36 billion since the Democrat convention.

If that's what you feel is fair, fine, if you say 100%, good for you, but the question is if that isn't enough then what do we do? I think if anyone can honestly answer that, then we may be able to get somewhere when it comes to balancing the budget. BTW, our debt has increased another 36 billion since the Democrat convention.

i do not worry about the debt or deficit as much as you do. and, no, i do not think 90% is fair, but that is the point. fairness. so, just because taxing the rich a fair amount (whatever that may be) will not erase the debt, they should not have to pay their fair share?

i do not worry about the debt or deficit as much as you do. and, no, i do not think 90% is fair, but that is the point. fairness. so, just because taxing the rich a fair amount (whatever that may be) will not erase the debt, they should not have to pay their fair share?

"Fair share" is a nothing phrase. So so so easy to decide what other people should pay.

A fair tax is a flat tax.

"Fair share" is a nothing phrase. So so so easy to decide what other people should pay.

A fair tax is a flat tax.

a fair tax is a flat tax could not be further from the truth. that would be an overtly regressive tax scheme. so, everyone pays 30%? well, 30% for you and me affects our income and purchasing power way more than a romney or adelson. also, what do you mean by 'so easy to decide what other people should pay'. is that not what you are doing with your flat tax scheme?

I'd just love to see where anyone at all has ever said that taxing the super-wealthy like the rest of us are taxed will solve the debt. Nobody, anywhere, ever, has said that - except for Republican pundits and Fox News. But ... whatever.

Before today I had never heard of Motherjones. Don't know a thing about it. Got the link off Reddit. Does it matter? Isn't that Romney saying those things? If it isn't, by all means, correct me.

Not even sure what to say after reading that. You and I probably wouldn't be as far off from each other then either of us think when it comes to fairness for taxes, especially when it comes to loopholes but I am a lot more worried about the debt and deficit then the precise percentage that the rich should pay. Why? Because our country's debt will vastly affect me and you more then what the rich pay in taxes. While there is a valid argument debating what the rich pay, the reality is it's taking the eye off the ball when it comes to fixing our bigger problems.

Not even sure what to say after reading that. You and I probably wouldn't be as far off from each other then either of us think when it comes to fairness for taxes, especially when it comes to loopholes but I am a lot more worried about the debt and deficit then the precise percentage that the rich should pay. Why? Because our country's debt will vastly affect me and you more then what the rich pay in taxes. While there is a valid argument debating what the rich pay, the reality is it's taking the eye off the ball when it comes to fixing our bigger problems.

enlighten me why the debt and deficit matter? but the way to fix the economy is to increase tax revenue by strengthening the middle-class.