Mitt Romney drumming up money with the well-heeled

knapplc

enlighten me why the debt and deficit matter? but the way to fix the economy is to increase tax revenue by strengthening the middle-class.

You just answered your own question. You want the middle class strengthened? Then have their tax revenue going back to things like infrastructure so they can grow their businesses instead of the revenue going to interest. Problem is we have to get to that point first.

we still have a budget that pays for the infrastructure. are you saying that america is unable to spend money unless there is a surplus? we waged two costly wars while in debt.

So you think right now we are putting the same amount into infrastructure then would we had no debt as a nation? I don't by a long shot. You don't think the debt of those two wars has had a negative effect on our economy??? I do and figured you would have agreed.

i do not think how we spend on infrastructure is tied to debt. i think it is tied to the priorities of those running the country. unfortunately, surplus or not, it usually is not too high. i am seeing a lot of correlation and not a lot of causation. i think a strong economy could help lower our debt, but it is going to take a lot of spending to fix this economy. like a second stimulus recently agreed upon.

You don't.

You have the freedom to vote for people to go and attempt to flesh out a deal on what should or shouldn't be changed.

Your other option is to go to war, win the war, and set your new country up however you like.

ok, but you brought up the point about california not being what the founders intended. what was your point then?

You could tax the Pony Bracket 100% of their earnings, and you'd never erase the debt.

Hate to be this guy, as Romney could have said it a lot differently than he did, but I'm glad he's at least saying people who are dependent on the Government for their food is a) not the best idea ever and b) likely to vote for current incumbent.

But he did it off the cuff, something apparently he and his opponent have a mutual deficiency in.

You could tax the Pony Bracket 100% of their earnings, and you'd never erase the debt.

Hate to be this guy, as Romney could have said it a lot differently than he did, but I'm glad he's at least saying people who are dependent on the Government for their food is a) not the best idea ever and b) likely to vote for current incumbent.

But he did it off the cuff, something apparently he and his opponent have a mutual deficiency in.

i think this is a pretty good read:

The real problem with Romney’s ‘47 percent’ gaffe

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz26n2xQNOp

but for me, the problem was that he makes it seem like those 47% want to be dependent on the gov't, the do not and they are not. just because you do not pay federal income tax does not mean you do not pay taxes.

another good read:

Thurston Howell Romney

By DAVID BROOKS

This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?

It suggests that Romney doesn’t know much about the culture of America. The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. Personally, I think he’s a kind, decent man who says stupid things because he is pretending to be something he is not — some sort of cartoonish government-hater. But it scarcely matters. He’s running a depressingly inept presidential campaign. Mr. Romney, your entitlement reform ideas are essential, but when will the incompetence stop?

but for me, the problem was that he makes it seem like those 47% want to be dependent on the gov't, the do not and they are not. just because you do not pay federal income tax does not mean you do not pay taxes.

I don't really think you can use superlatives like that. Of course some hate theatre dependent on some sort of welfare. I've met those people. Some, however, are all too happy not to work and take it all in. I've met those people too.

And when you don't pay state or Federal tax, and you just pay your sales tax, have withholding on your paycheck, or any method of just automated or pre-garnished tax, it's so easy to not notice. Get a spec sheet from an accountant showing what you owe and when you owe it by, or having the program spit out a total on your computer screen, or the nasty letter from the Government that tells you that you haven't given them what they think you should, resonates much better, and leads you to notice where that money might be going.

And more people watching that will actually lead to tax reform. Regardless of party.

another good read:

Thurston Howell Romney

By DAVID BROOKS

This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?

It suggests that Romney doesn’t know much about the culture of America. The people who receive the

disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. Personally, I think he’s a kind, decent man who says stupid things because he is pretending to be something he is not — some sort of cartoonish government-hater. But it scarcely matters. He’s running a depressingly inept presidential campaign. Mr. Romney, your entitlement reform ideas are essential, but when will the incompetence stop?

Well since they're throwing around student loan forgiveness, so yeah, free money to go to college is a freeloader.

And yes, some Republicans are huge fans of big Government. They aren't very smart and are easily turned in circles.

And I think Romney's got a huge deck stacked against him. He already started running a campaign where the media on "his side" ain't sold on him (see my stupid Republicans comment) and the ones against him are quick to just pillory the guy at the slightest misstep. And to top it off, some of his higher ups aren't very good at their jobs, and he's afraid to fire them because that kicks off a media sh#tstorm too.

Fun game, politics.

I don't really think you can use superlatives like that. Of course some hate theatre dependent on some sort of welfare. I've met those people. Some, however, are all too happy not to work and take it all in. I've met those people too.

And when you don't pay state or Federal tax, and you just pay your sales tax, have withholding on your paycheck, or any method of just automated or pre-garnished tax, it's so easy to not notice. Get a spec sheet from an accountant showing what you owe and when you owe it by, or having the program spit out a total on your computer screen, or the nasty letter from the Government that tells you that you haven't given them what they think you should, resonates much better, and leads you to notice where that money might be going.

And more people watching that will actually lead to tax reform. Regardless of party.

i do not think you read either articles. again, the point is that he equates people dependent on gov't with those in the 47% that do not pay federal income taxes. how can he have such a fundamental misunderstanding of such a large cross-section of americans? i think we all know why, and it is why he is not fit to be president.

another good read:

Thurston Howell Romney

By DAVID BROOKS

It suggests that Romney doesn’t know much about the culture of America. The people who receive the

disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. Personally, I think he’s a kind, decent man who says stupid things because he is pretending to be something he is not — some sort of cartoonish government-hater. But it scarcely matters. He’s running a depressingly inept presidential campaign. Mr. Romney, your entitlement reform ideas are essential, but when will the incompetence stop?

Well since they're throwing around student loan forgiveness, so yeah, free money to go to college is a freeloader.

And yes, some Republicans are huge fans of big Government. They aren't very smart and are easily turned in circles.

And I think Romney's got a huge deck stacked against him. He already started running a campaign where the media on "his side" ain't sold on him (see my stupid Republicans comment) and the ones against him are quick to just pillory the guy at the slightest misstep. And to top it off, some of his higher ups aren't very good at their jobs, and he's afraid to fire them because that kicks off a media sh#tstorm too.

Fun game, politics.

anyone who goes to a public college benefits from welfare.

but for me, the problem was that he makes it seem like those 47%

want to be dependent on the gov't, the do not and they are not. just because you do not pay federal income tax does not mean you do not pay taxes.

And when you don't pay state or Federal tax, and you just pay your sales tax, have withholding on your paycheck, or any method of just automated or pre-garnished tax, it's so easy to not notice. Get a spec sheet from an accountant showing what

you owe and when you owe it by, or having the program spit out a total on your computer screen, or the nasty letter from the Government that tells you that you haven't given them what they think you should, resonates much better, and leads you to notice where that money might be going.

i do not think you read either articles. again, the point is that he equates people dependent on gov't with those in the 47% that do not pay federal income taxes. how can he have such a fundamental misunderstanding of such a large cross-section of

americans? i think we all know why, and it is why he is not fit to be president.

He's plenty fit to be President. We've never had one that truly understands every possible type of American and their plight. Thinking otherwise is plain naive.

• Fire 1