Mitt Romney drumming up money with the well-heeled

knapplc

Nothing like saying, flat out, that he does not give a crap about half the country. Or think that people have an 'entitlement' to food, housing or health care. So he's for more homeless, starving Americans. Unfortunately he's talking about a lot of people who will vote for him, and they are fools for doing so.

What exactly was newsworthy from this story? I didn't see anything earth shattering from what he said. Was the hidden camera supposed to make it as if he was saying things that Republicans don't already think and say now?

so their platform is that they do not have to worry about 47% of the nation? although i do agree, they make it no secret they only care about the super-rich.

What exactly was newsworthy from this story? I didn't see anything earth shattering from what he said. Was the hidden camera supposed to make it as if he was saying things that Republicans don't already think and say now?

so their platform is that they do not have to worry about 47% of the nation? although i do agree, they make it no secret they only care about the super-rich.

So 53% of the nation is super-rich? What?

I for one am stunned Mother Jones is the one to promote this story the way it's being promoted.

To jump to the conclusion that because Mitt Romney is for starvation because he clearly doesn't agree with people satisfying their most primal of needs through government programs is absolutely ludicrous. Almost as ludicrous as someone saying they need the government to feed them in America.

• Fire 1

So 53% of the nation is super-rich? What?

that is exactly what i said. wait, not it is not. he said that he does not care about 47% of the nation and i said that they have made it apparent that they only care about the super-rich, despite what they say. those are not mutually exclusive, nor does him not caring about 47% of the nation mean he actually cares about the entirety of the rest. what?

It always seems strange to me that when these topics of dependence come up, the first people we think of are the poor, lazy, etc, but the largest chunk of Mitt's 47% are retirees by far. They want to privatize medicare and tried to privatize social security. We normally associate medicaid with poor people and children, which they and Republican governors want to gut, but the biggest chunk of medicaid spending is for people in nursing homes. What are those people going to do? Someone who is 70 years old, can't work, has little money, and has no one to take care of them? Republicans have done very well characterizing government dependence as mostly an issue with urban minorities when the reality is, probably 75%+ of "dependence" spending is for the elderly.

• Fire 3

There are a host of other articles that break down the 46% who "don't pay taxes" is BS. A large part of that comes from seniors on social security, and with the households who fall under the thresholds due to deductions. Sometimes just the standard deduction, or from child care, or mortgage interest. None of which is 'tax dodging' Romney and his offshore accounts is much more guilty of tax dodging than the family of 4 making a household income of $60k ish who use deductions to get what they paid in back. and they Still paid medicare and social security taxes, as well as property taxes, sales taxes and a host of others. Hardly what I would call bums or freeloaders.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/2012/09/17/memo-to-mitt-romney-the-47-pay-taxes-too/

• Fire 3

instead of bashing nearly half the nation, too bad he did not take that time to discuss this:

New Study Finds Tax Cuts For The Rich Cause Income Inequality, Not Economic Growth

to bad they do not understand their super wealth is why that growing 47% of people 'dependent' on the gov't exists.

The room he was talking to understands it perfectly well. They are the ones who need those people to stay happy being poor so they keep working at the companies owned by his audience for the low wages and next to no benefits. After all, the biggest things standing in the way of better profits is having to pay workers.