Notre Lame pulls out of Michigan series

NUance

Even though ND is looking stronger, beating ND is not a sexy win anymore and Mich should use this opportunity to upgrade its schedule. Play two MAC teams and two teams from SEC,B12, ACC.

They should go with USC or Texas every year.

I would like to play Texas every year too :B) hint, hint, Delany.....

Pretty sure the Longhorns fans will shout down any talk of a texas-osu series after their treatment from the Buckeye faithful in 2005. But let's not give out spoilers for the Huskers next month.

I have owned that "unsavory" episode of OSU football. I was there and it was insane.

Things have gotten better. I hardly think USC or Miami of Florida fans can complain since they were treated very well on their trips.

pre-2006 is a different world.

Even though ND is looking stronger, beating ND is not a sexy win anymore and Mich should use this opportunity to upgrade its schedule. Play two MAC teams and two teams from SEC,B12, ACC.

They should go with USC or Texas every year.

I would like to play Texas every year too :B) hint, hint, Delany.....

Be careful what you wish for.

Texas will get their seat at the Big Ten table. And their seat will count the same as Indiana or Minnesota or anyone else regardless of how good their football team is

It appears that Walter White has shifted his operation to Columbus, Ohio. Only if Delaney drinks the bongwater will Texass ever be in the Big 10. :)

Flood's points are spot-on, and even Delaney knows how destructive and manipulative Texas can be. That Texas didn't want to enter the Pac-12 on equal footing with everyone else (a la their Longwhorn Network deal) should tell everyone they can't be trusted.

Plus, look at Texass' current home. No one is exactly happy in the Big XII; Texass isn't happy with Bob Bowlsby because he gives a s**t about the other 11 9 teams. The conference is only together because no one else* can get a better deal without Texass...and because the also-rans finally listened to Harvey the Wonder Chancellor after we left and assigned media rights to the conference.

And TCU and West Virginia as additions? It's hard to tell who was more desperate--the Big XII-II to actually have teams that want to join, or TCU and West Virginia** desperate to join a legitimate BCS conference.

*Excluding Oklahoma, who could get picked up by the SEC in a heartbeat, even with the mentally-challenged tag-along baggage known as Boones Farms Pickens U in Stillwater, OK.

**Yes, I know West Virginia was in the Big East. But do we really count the Big East as a BCS conference? Really?

The Big 10's best chance for meaningful expansion already came and went with Florida State--good academics (I think they're even an AAU member...), prime recruiting, great TV markets, and the best TV deal this side of the SEC. Plus, FSU would capture that Southern demographic that Delaney waxed on about cryptically before Nebraska was brought on. Instead, Delaney sat on his hands and did nothing of consequence about it.

---

And Virginia Tech to the SEC? I would think the SEC, if they were to go to 16, would get a school with a bit more national appeal--I'm not sure Virgina Tech has that.

Again, I would think Oklahoma and Okie Lite would make a better 15 and 16 for the SEC than anyone else. And OU/OSU, after a decade of malcontent in the current Big XII, may, by then, ready to unlatch themselves from Bevo's teat.

A couple things.

1. Texas has been asked to join the Big Ten before and they definitely will again when(or right before) the Big Ten TV contract is up. They are the #1 target by far. Not me saying this. Delaney wants them.

2. Mizzou to the SEC dispels the thought that the SEC is looking for "National Appeal". The #1 conference really doesn't need to make a splash in additions so I don't know why adding a school like VaTech wouldn't be beneficial. A "Southern" conference should have schools from the south after all.

3. FSU isn't an AAU member. A pretty good Public School but not AAU(It's not critical to be AAU but it sure makes it easier)

4. The Big Ten is looking to make BIG additions in BIG markets(or BIG fanbases) so that they can move more games over to BTN and invest in the channel so they demand more ad money. East Coast cities and/or Big Time Public Universities will be the target.

Certain people in the know see to think otherwise :)

It will take a couple of years until the Big Ten's current TV contract is up to add 4 more teams but there are some big fish that they are trying to lure in. Crimson & Cream are the colors of one of the rumored schools

I wouldn't be surprised if during the next TV Deal the Big Ten branches out with school specific alternate networks like BTN-OSU or BTN-PSU(if a school chooses to have one) leading to Texas potentially converting the Longhorn Network to BTN-UT

This has been small talk around Big Ten for a couple of years ever since the LN was conceived and the last part it is almost pure extrapolation on my part but it could realistically happen because their would be plenty of demand for at least 5 or 6 Big Ten schools.

@ Woody hayes 1951

not being mean but this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

Texas ruled the southwest confrence, and ran that titanic right into a ice berg and sank it. they came too the big 12, they came in and told everyone how it was gunna be. and if they didnt get their way they would leave.

After Nebraska got tired of them and went BIG 10 they have proceeded too run the big 12 into the dirt, adding WVU? really?

If the big 10 adds Texas i am fairly confident NU would leave, and they would sink the big 10 too.

Whats more the longhorn network would net them more than 24 million which big ten members recive.

Texas won't join with out getting a cut and keep their longhorn network income. These guys are all about an unfair advantage. too know where that mentallity comes watch ESPN 30 for 20 pony excess.

It will take a couple of years until the Big Ten's current TV contract is up to add 4 more teams but there are some big fish that they are trying to lure in. Crimson & Cream are the colors of one of the rumored schools

I wouldn't be surprised if during the next TV Deal the Big Ten branches out with school specific alternate networks like BTN-OSU or BTN-PSU(if a school chooses to have one) leading to Texas potentially converting the Longhorn Network to BTN-UT

This has been small talk around Big Ten for a couple of years ever since the LN was conceived and the last part it is almost pure extrapolation on my part but it could realistically happen because their would be plenty of demand for at least 5 or 6 Big Ten schools.

@ Woody hayes 1951

Texas ruled the southwest confrence, and ran that titanic right into a ice berg and sank it. they came too the big 12, they came in and told everyone how it was gunna be. and if they didnt get their way they would leave.

After Nebraska got tired of them and went BIG 10 they have proceeded too run the big 12 into the dirt, adding WVU? really?

If the big 10 adds Texas i am fairly confident NU would leave, and they would sink the big 10 too.

Whats more the longhorn network would net them more than 24 million which big ten members recive.

Texas won't join with out getting a cut and keep their longhorn network income. These guys are all about an unfair advantage. too know where that mentallity comes watch ESPN 30 for 20 pony excess.

the only reason why they had power in the SWC and the Big XII is because they had their little Texas schools with them that they can push around. There is no way they are getting any big influence with the Good ole boys in the Big Ten or SEC. UGA is voting with R-Barn and Ole Miss, Iowa is voting with Northwestern and Wisconsin. There is no Baylor or Tortilla Tech to get on your side.

@ Woody hayes 1951

the only reason why they had power in the SWC and the Big XII is because they had their little Texas schools with them that they can push around. There is no way they are getting any big influence with the Good ole boys in the Big Ten or SEC. UGA is voting with R-Barn and Ole Miss, Iowa is voting with Northwestern and Wisconsin. There is no Baylor or Tortilla Tech to get on your side.

I think you are forgetting something here.

Texas, Baylor, and Texas tech are package deal as per the Baylor Texas tech dominated law makers in Austin. that's how they ended up in the big 12 deal. and any deal with Texas entering the Big 10 will involve their retarded little brothers entering as well.

That is why when the pac 12 was in negotiations with Texas about adding them and the Oklahoma schools, Baylor and TTU where required too go with the longhorns for the deal too finalize.

When Texas considered other options with out is sidekicks Baylor and TTU these schools alumni in the Texas legislature threatened legal action (AKA suing them).

Texas fans regularly complain about this fact. Most notably at the shaggy bevo site.

These schools have ruined more than one attempt by Texas too move too a new conference, it would be foolish too think this time would be different.

@ Woody hayes 1951

Texas, Baylor, and Texas tech are package deal as per the Baylor Texas tech dominated law makers in Austin. that's how they ended up in the big 12 deal. and any deal with Texas entering the Big 10 will involve their retarded little brothers entering as well.

That is why when the pac 12 was in negotiations with Texas about adding them and the Oklahoma schools, Baylor and TTU where required too go with the longhorns for the deal too finalize.

When Texas considered other options with out is sidekicks Baylor and TTU these schools alumni in the Texas legislature threatened legal action (AKA suing them).

Texas fans regularly complain about this fact. Most notably at the shaggy bevo site.

These schools have ruined more than one attempt by Texas too move too a new conference, it would be foolish too think this time would be different.

They won't have much of a choice when people realize that the Big XII is a house of cards with only two worthwhile properties. If WVU,TCU,ISU,KU,KSU,TTU or BU have any prolonged success I'll wear a scUM shirt. Regardless, NONE of those schools are worth a dime when it's time for the Big XII to renew their TV contracts. They have UT, OU and potentially Okie lite although I don't think they will bring in ratings even if they are good.

Tortilla Tech, TCU and Baylor will never be allowed into the Big Ten. EVER.

Really the only Texas buddy that UT can bring along is not even in the Big XII and that is Rice U(A&M isn't leaving the SEC so they are out)

Just the same way Okie lite isn't stopping OU from leaving if they have to, in the end BU will not get in the way of UT if there are no other options. No matter what the BU politicians and judges say. Just the same way BU threw TCU,RU,SMU and UH under the bus in the 90's.

I think everyone acknowledges that the Big XII is dead. It's only a matter of time before they break up since they really can't add any viable schools.

@ Woody hayes 1951

They won't have much of a choice when people realize that the Big XII is a house of cards with only two worthwhile properties. If WVU,TCU,ISU,KU,KSU,TTU or BU have any prolonged success I'll wear a scUM shirt. Regardless, NONE of those schools are worth a dime when it's time for the Big XII to renew their TV contracts. They have UT, OU and potentially Okie lite although I don't think they will bring in ratings even if they are good.

Tortilla Tech, TCU and Baylor will never be allowed into the Big Ten. EVER.

Really the only Texas buddy that UT can bring along is not even in the Big XII and that is Rice U(A&M isn't leaving the SEC so they are out)

Just the same way Okie lite isn't stopping OU from leaving if they have to, in the end BU will not get in the way of UT if there are no other options. No matter what the BU politicians and judges say. Just the same way BU threw TCU,RU,SMU and UH under the bus in the 90's.

I think everyone acknowledges that the Big XII is dead. It's only a matter of time before they break up since they really can't add any viable schools.

Then you just reaffirmed why Texas cannot go big 10. Texas legislature will make sure its a package deal, it's that simple.

Texas threw those schools under the bus, those schools too UT were little more than wins on the conference schedule and once the conference died they were of no use anymore. Baylor and Tech are along for the ride here, a large majority of the Texas legislature went too school at these places, they would rather die than see their beloved alma mater reduced too a non BCS AQ conference. and as such have twisted things around too make sure these three aren't split up.

And if Texas tries something cute they will sue them under the table and cut their state funding for a time as leverage.

The Big XII is near dead that is true, but people would be mistaken if they though Texas would be dumb enough too give up the controls of a BCS AQ conference where they run the show.

They are in full control with Oklahoma having something of a say. That's a lot of power too throw away too become a regular joe in the big 10. They will suffer through for as long as they can, and that could be decades.

A couple things.

1. Texas has been asked to join the Big Ten before and they definitely will again when(or right before) the Big Ten TV contract is up. They are the #1 target by far. Not me saying this. Delaney wants them.

2. Mizzou to the SEC dispels the thought that the SEC is looking for "National Appeal". The #1 conference really doesn't need to make a splash in additions so I don't know why adding a school like VaTech wouldn't be beneficial. A "Southern" conference should have schools from the south after all.

3. FSU isn't an AAU member. A pretty good Public School but not AAU(It's not critical to be AAU but it sure makes it easier)

4. The Big Ten is looking to make BIG additions in BIG markets(or BIG fanbases) so that they can move more games over to BTN and invest in the channel so they demand more ad money. East Coast cities and/or Big Time Public Universities will be the target.

1. After the Pac-12 shenanigans with Larry Scott, I highly doubt any commissioner worth their salt will try to deal with that. And even though Larry Scott has spoken since the ordeal and said all is well between the conference and Texass, the initial interview with Dodd and CBS Sports pretty much laid blame and sounded pretty damn bitter towards Texass. Scott is a smart businessman, like Delaney, and if they were too bats**t crazy for Scott, chances are they're too bats**t crazy for Delaney.

Plus, you still have Texass' "Tech Problem"--there's no way in hell the Texas Legislature will let Texass go to a new conference without bringing Texass Tech, Baylor, and now TCU along for the ride. You take Texass out of the Big XII-II, and you're left with Oklahoma, K-State, and a bunch of C-USA wannabe schools.

Texass, in short, isn't a feasible or realistic target for Big 10 expansion.

2. No, it doesn't. It just means that they were looking at media markets to expand their forthcoming SEC Network to. Kansas City, St. Louis, and Houston were all great media market additions for the SEC to compliment the ones they already have in Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida. But just like the B1G, they'll need a national power or draw to sell their forthcoming network beyond the borders of the SEC. Virginia Tech, as good as they are, is anything but a national draw.

Now, let's say for the sake of argument that Delaney does drink the bong water and Texass is brought into the B1G (hopefully with contractual restraints similar to what they used on Hannibal Lector at the airport...). That would leave Oklahoma without a home, and Oklahoma is a much higher profile program than V-Tech. If the SEC could stomach taking on their mentally-challenged bastard brother in Stillwater along for the ride, you've got your 15 and 16, and it fits their contiguous footprint well.

3. You're right that Florida State isn't an AAU member--but they are actively working towards it, and the FSU Faculty site shows it's something they will obtain here in short order.

4. If your statement were true, then the B1G would have already extended an invite to Maryland, Rutgers, or Syracuse, and the ACC would be swimming in cash with their new deal. Neither happened. :-|

Don't forget that Delaney himself said they needed to focus on the demographics and the population shift to the south--that's not me saying that, that's Delaney himself. Florida State would have satisfied that need, and done multiple things: given the B1G another national brand/draw to sell the network beyond the footprint, added significant media markets to the BTN footprint (e.g. Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville), and opened Florida recruiting up to the B1G (read: hitting the SEC where it hurts).

And when it comes to franchise fees and advertising, the BTN makes its operational budget off of local markets and franchise fees (i.e. eyeballs in the footprint). Advertising money comes in via national brands--the Nebraskas, Ohio States, Michigans--the higher the national ratings for BTN broadcasts, the more money they can charge for ads, and thus, more revenue for the BTN. Is there any Eastern Seaboard school that would help the BTN accomplish this? In short, no.

The only schools that would stir the B1G's drink that were in play are Notre Dame, Texass, Florida State, Oklahoma...and maybe Kansas.

No one meaningful from the SEC would jump ship, no one from the ACC or Big East is worth looking at save for Florida State in this regard, the Pac-12 is locked down tight, and Texass...well, they're attractive, but they're bats**t insane and a control freak to boot. The B1G won't want anything to do with Oklahoma thanks to their preemie brother in Stillwater that didn't get enough air in the womb that is part of the package. And now that the ACC has locked down their members and joined up with Notre Dame, it would take something massive to move Florida State out of the ACC.

4. If your statement were true, then the B1G would have already extended an invite to Maryland, Rutgers, or Syracuse, and the ACC would be swimming in cash with their new deal. Neither happened. :-|

Nope. The Big Ten can demand more cash on the next contract if they add the schools during expiration. They will sit tight until their TV contracts are up in a couple years. I think they run through 2015.

Nope. The Big Ten can demand more cash on the next contract if they add the schools during expiration. They will sit tight until their TV contracts are up in a couple years. I think they run through 2015.

The B1G can already do that with expansion. And the point is if their priorities were as you say they are, then those schools would have gotten an invite over Nebraska.

As it is, the number of footprint eyeballs can only carry you so far. It's great to cover your operating expenses, but not great if you're looking to turn a profit.

---

I do want to point out, thought, that I think you're right about the BTN holding more content back (specifically, around 90% of Tier 2 content) for their channel. I had linked an article from one of the Penn State blogs some time ago that had intimated this, and I think it's dead on. Not only will the BTN be more likely to get a second HD channel in most homes from this, but they'll keep more of the profits for themselves.

The only question I have with this is if we may see some sort of retaliation by Disney if this happens, especially if Fox does obtain the B1G rights for the Tier 1 and the scant few Tier 2 games the B1G relinquishes. Nothing major, of course, but we could see Disney go out of their way to not discuss the B1G or champion schools not from the B1G if there are multiple horses vying for the playoff spots.

And we've honestly seen the impact not being discussed on ESPN has had on the NHL.

The B1G can already do that with expansion. And the point is if their priorities were as you say they are, then those schools would have gotten an invite over Nebraska.

As it is, the number of footprint eyeballs can only carry you so far. It's great to cover your operating expenses, but not great if you're looking to turn a profit.

---

I do want to point out, thought, that I think you're right about the BTN holding more content back (specifically, around 90% of Tier 2 content) for their channel. I had linked an article from one of the Penn State blogs some time ago that had intimated this, and I think it's dead on. Not only will the BTN be more likely to get a second HD channel in most homes from this, but they'll keep more of the profits for themselves.

The only question I have with this is if we may see some sort of retaliation by Disney if this happens, especially if Fox does obtain the B1G rights for the Tier 1 and the scant few Tier 2 games the B1G relinquishes. Nothing major, of course, but we could see Disney go out of their way to not discuss the B1G or champion schools not from the B1G if there are multiple horses vying for the playoff spots.

And we've honestly seen the impact not being discussed on ESPN has had on the NHL.

I'm just saying that is the expansion goal from this point out. If a top-10 all time program wants in then you take it over all the big markets easy.

No one in their right mind would take Rutgers over Nebraska. But adding Rutgers AFTER Nebraska? sure.

I would say we sell the Tier 1 stuff to the highest bidder. FOX,NBC,ESPN,etc and the other stuff gets sent to BTN. It's expanded and get real commercials instead of Rotel and Velveeta.

I'm just saying that is the expansion goal from this point out. If a top-10 all time program wants in then you take it over all the big markets easy.

No one in their right mind would take Rutgers over Nebraska. But adding Rutgers AFTER Nebraska? sure.

I would say we sell the Tier 1 stuff to the highest bidder. FOX,NBC,ESPN,etc and the other stuff gets sent to BTN. It's expanded and get real commercials instead of Rotel and Velveeta.

Right. And that Top 10 team that Delaney let go was Florida State. So the question is, how serious is Delaney about expansion? Because there's really no one else reasonable to go after now...which leads me to think that this is it for the next 10-20 years.

And what exactly is wrong with Velveeta and Rotel? Are you some kind of heathens up there in Columbus? :lol:

I don't believe Baylor, TT and TCU are tied that tightly to Texas. Baylor got in because Gov Ann Richards pushed for it. She's gone now. TCU didn't even make it in the original Big 12 so history says there's no tight tie there. Texas Tech? I don't think they've got that much pull either. And Texas can argue that A&M was allowed to bail out without taking anyone, so they can too.

Whether Texas really gets an invite to the BTN, I have no idea, but I do believe they can come alone if they want to.