Observations: offense and defense

After re-watching the Wisconsin game I noticed a couple things that I thought warranted discussion. The first thing that really stuck out was our offense's ability to sustain drives excluding the first quarter. I believe our first 3 drives were 3 and out or less, but after that, we had lengthy drives. I think this speaks a great deal to how far the offense and Martinez have progressed. Basically, the offense has been doing this consistantly all season. Would be curious to know what our average scoring drive for the season is.

Also begs the question, how good would this offense be if we could get a short field? I know the D stepped it up, but it seems like they really struggle to force turnovers, especially on the opponents side of the 50. Do we not blitz enough or is it just part of the scheme? Also, why do we keep attempting 50+ yard field goals instead of playing field position once in awhile?

Lastly, while the front 7 on the d stepped up, why does our secondary play the ball in the air so poorly? I guess, maybe not the entire secondary but definately Stafford. He seems to always go for the hit instead of playing the ball. It cost us a PI call and possibly an interception in the 3rd quarter, i think. He also batted a ball down that on the replay looked like he could have cought it. Is this coaching or just Staffords style of play?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Side note: I was suprised Ball got up from the hit that Carter put on him in the 3rd quarter, especially given his concussion last week.

Because we have a weapon that can MAKE them............(points over position any time)........

Not to mention, if you have a kicker who's leg is strong enough to get it there, and you dont allow him to try a couple time, you start chipping away at his confidence. We dont need that with Maher. We just need to keep sending him out there.

I think continually spending him out there when there is a high probability of failure will ruin his confidence for the 35 yard range field goals. I think send him out if it's early in the game, but I don't like the odds late. Unless there is .01 left and we're down by 3 or less. He's not just missing, even the ones he makes look like crap. I don't know how that one in the 3rd quarter made it except it was divine intervention. Fast forward to Saturday, down by 3, ball on the 33 and its 4th and 3 with a minute and half left. What would you do?

Too many other variables to make that decision. What's the score. Have we been moving the ball with ease or is it a defensive battle. What about this particular drive? Length of the field or a turnover and it's taken us 3 plays to get 7 yards. Wind? Weather? Timeouts left? How's the D playing? Not trying to be an ass, but theres a lot more that would go into such a decision but I'm leaning towards-barring a 30mph wind in our face-that we would try the field goal regardless.

The offense is all about 1st down to me.

We do bad on 1st down (less than 3 yards) and typically the drive ends pretty quick because we get a bit limited by 3rd down.

We do well on first downs and the drive tends to be really good because on 3rd down the Defense has no idea what we're going to do.

You're right, but that fact can be said about 99.9% of offenses. If you win on 1st down, you have a better chance of winning on 3rd down.

I was actually super impressed with Taylor (and have been all year) with how many 3rd and 8+'s he is converting into first downs. I would have to go back and watch film, but in the 2nd half against Wisconsin, he picked up quite a few first downs on 3rd and 7, 8, 9, 10. He's really been a good passer for us this season.

After re-watching the Wisconsin game I noticed a couple things that I thought warranted discussion. The first thing that really stuck out was our offense's ability to sustain drives excluding the first quarter. I believe our first 3 drives were 3 and out or less, but after that, we had lengthy drives. I think this speaks a great deal to how far the offense and Martinez have progressed. Basically, the offense has been doing this consistantly all season. Would be curious to know what our average scoring drive for the season is.

Also begs the question, how good would this offense be if we could get a short field? I know the D stepped it up, but it seems like they really struggle to force turnovers, especially on the opponents side of the 50. Do we not blitz enough or is it just part of the scheme? Also, why do we keep attempting 50+ yard field goals instead of playing field position once in awhile?

Lastly, while the front 7 on the d stepped up, why does our secondary play the ball in the air so poorly? I guess, maybe not the entire secondary but definately Stafford. He seems to always go for the hit instead of playing the ball. It cost us a PI call and possibly an interception in the 3rd quarter, i think. He also batted a ball down that on the replay looked like he could have cought it. Is this coaching or just Staffords style of play?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Side note: I was suprised Ball got up from the hit that Carter put on him in the 3rd quarter, especially given his concussion last week.

Because we have a weapon that can MAKE them............(points over position any time)........

Not to mention, if you have a kicker who's leg is strong enough to get it there, and you dont allow him to try a couple time, you start chipping away at his confidence. We dont need that with Maher. We just need to keep sending him out there.

I think continually spending him out there when there is a high probability of failure will ruin his confidence for the 35 yard range field goals. I think send him out if it's early in the game, but I don't like the odds late. Unless there is .01 left and we're down by 3 or less. He's not just missing, even the ones he makes look like crap. I don't know how that one in the 3rd quarter made it except it was divine intervention. Fast forward to Saturday, down by 3, ball on the 33 and its 4th and 3 with a minute and half left. What would you do?

Too many other variables to make that decision. What's the score. Have we been moving the ball with ease or is it a defensive battle. What about this particular drive? Length of the field or a turnover and it's taken us 3 plays to get 7 yards. Wind? Weather? Timeouts left? How's the D playing? Not trying to be an ass, but theres a lot more that would go into such a decision but I'm leaning towards-barring a 30mph wind in our face-that we would try the field goal regardless.

I'm talking about an average night like last saturday night. Maher is 1/3 in 50 yards plus with his long being a 54 yarder. On the year he is 7/12 for field goals(58%) and 29/29 on extra points. I think I give him the go without the wind, but the right to complain about it after. Last year he made 83% on 23 attempts.

If leg strength was all that mattered, i'd kick the 50+ yard field goal everytime too. But, Maher has looked shaky this year. I'd let him kick anything under 50 all day long, but anything more and I'm with the Dude on go for it or play field position. Unless, you're in game like Colorado a few years ago where we had to have it.