Planning a Trip to Northwestern Game...Help

TRIPP

Hey guys, i dont know if this is the correct place for this thread, but i didnt see anywhere else better to put it so move if needed.

Nebraska plays Northwestern on my birthday the 20th and im on vacation from work that week as well. I want to head up there with plans on getting tickets, hotel, etc, but ive never been there or know any tricks or tips on best hotels price wise, location, bars, parking etc etc. Even if i cant get tickets, i plan on making the drive just to actually do something while on vacation so is there any Husker bars there that anybody knows of or does anybody else make the trip even if they are not going to game? I have searched for some hotels already and most close ones are booked. Are there any places to just camp if i get a big rental van or something? how is the seating at the stadium? should i worry about spending extra on better tickets or just get what i can? i looked at the map, but its hard to tell how good or bad tickets are.

any info would be great.

Kirkwood is the best bar in Chicago to watch the Huskers. It has tons of giant, flat screens, and all kinds of places to watch it from. I usually go by myself and find a good space against the wall. The DJ plays the Husker fight song after each score. It gets pretty packed, making it a really fun place to be. There is an affordable hotel near Belmont and Sheffield. It's right near the Belmont red line "el" stop that you can take to Howard, and then switch to the Yellow line to Evanston. Evanston is where Northwestern University is located.

Kirkwood

2934 N. Sheffield

Chicago, IL

773-770-0700

Official Chicagoans 4 NE Watch Site

Hey guys, i dont know if this is the correct place for this thread, but i didnt see anywhere else better to put it so move if needed.

Nebraska plays Northwestern on my birthday the 20th and im on vacation from work that week as well. I want to head up there with plans on getting tickets, hotel, etc, but ive never been there or know any tricks or tips on best hotels price wise, location, bars, parking etc etc. Even if i cant get tickets, i plan on making the drive just to actually do something while on vacation so is there any Husker bars there that anybody knows of or does anybody else make the trip even if they are not going to game? I have searched for some hotels already and most close ones are booked. Are there any places to just camp if i get a big rental van or something? how is the seating at the stadium? should i worry about spending extra on better tickets or just get what i can? i looked at the map, but its hard to tell how good or bad tickets are.

any info would be great.

my buddies and i just bought our tickets last week through tickethippo because huskerboard members get 10% off....the tickets are about 20 rows up in the middle of the endzone, they ended up being roughly 85 per person, which isnt bad considering they are going for WAY more than that...and i wouldn't wait because if NW beats Penn State this week, they should obvi beat MN and then the ticket prices will skyrocket if you have a 7-0 NW team playing Nebraska in what most likely would be a night game.

Got my tickets through the Northwestern AD. $65 a piece. We're staying in downtown and are planning on taking the train up to Evanston. If you're looking for cheaper hotels I would say stay somewhere a bit away from Evanston and consider taking the train in. I would think you could probably find tickets online still, or if you want to risk it, buy them from a scalper the day of the game. If they're undefeated when we play them expect to pay more though. It should be a good time and I expect a lot of people in red to be out there. I know the group I'm heading out with is at least 20 strong.

I went to one OSU game at NW. We search hotels via hotwire and stayed downtown. Got in on Thursday and fortunately had good weather on Friday and toured around downtown Chicago (awesome). Drove out Saturday morning to friends house near stadium. It was early Nov and the weather sucked for tailgating. If I remember correctly the stadium is in a neighborhood area with not much room for parking or an RV area. I could be wrong tho. I would stay downtown and take the train out to the game.

Looking at Google Maps of the NW stadium - there is a small parking lot and an even smaller parking lot, a practice field and a baseball field near the stadium. the whole complex is crammed into a neighborhood. I would not try bring a car around there.

Creed - you're correct in that the main parking lot is 'REALLY small'... Ryan Field is truly crammed into the Evanston neighborhood, but you can park on the streets around the stadium. Just be prepared to take a bit of a hike to get to the stadium. Even if you do get to park in the main lot, getting out is next to impossible do to it being locked into the narrow street system. Taking a bus, taxi, or riding the purple line 'L' are other alternatives.

That being said, the campus is very, very nice (as you can imagine) on the Lakefront. If you have the time, a fall walk around the campus is a nice way to get a feeling for this private university...

never thought about taking a train up there. according to train website only one going that way is 5am sat morning and arrival at 3pm. I plan on taking my moms Minivan with 4-5 people and splitting gas cost. then find hotel close to train or with shuttle service or something. my biggest concern is getting back to hotel after game and bars. Ive never been there so everything will be new to me. I just really need a break and want to utilize my vacation for once. plus my bday is game day so that would be sweet.

never thought about taking a train up there. according to train website only one going that way is 5am sat morning and arrival at 3pm. I plan on taking my moms Minivan with 4-5 people and splitting gas cost. then find hotel close to train or with shuttle service or something. my biggest concern is getting back to hotel after game and bars. Ive never been there so everything will be new to me. I just really need a break and want to utilize my vacation for once. plus my bday is game day so that would be sweet.

The knapplc clan originated in Chicagoland. I'll be heading up (near Milwaukee, though) and taking the train to Evanston. I'm seeing more arrivals/departures than you're seeing on the line. Am I reading this wrong, or are you?

Anyone more familiar with commuter trains, feel free to chime in. I'm looking at charts on this page: LINK

what are the best price/view seats? sideline, endzone, ?? high low?

TRIPP - Ryan Field is quite small and most every seat has a good view of the field. Seems the tkt. price is going to be a little $$$ so you're going to have to shop around.

northwestern-university-football-ryan-field-on-game-day-nwu-f-x-00054lg.jpg

ryan_field2.jpg

I have an email into my nephew (recent NW grad.) and asked him to comment on the best place to find parking near Ryan Field. I'll relate this info. once I hear from him if you want.