Planning a Trip to Northwestern Game...Help

TRIPP

People in Chicago do have a thick accent. Try not to laugh. Also, they can be abrasive and rude so don't be shocked, it's normal. In case you haven't figured it out yet, Midwesterners aren't quite the same as people in the Great Plains states.

Now I'm getting excited for this game. I need to get a ticket.

Yeah we in Chicaguh speak like dis:

People in Chicago do have a thick accent. Try not to laugh. Also, they can be abrasive and rude so don't be shocked, it's normal. In case you haven't figured it out yet, Midwesterners aren't quite the same as people in the Great Plains states.

That last paragraph is ridiculous. It's a big frickin city...of course there will be rude people. However, of all the big American cities, Chicago is by far the friendliest IMO. It's not even close.

Forget parking. Just stay somewhere in the city and take the train. It's like 1,200 feet from the train stop to the stadium, right down Central Ave. Couldn't be more convenient.

I think Knapp wants you guys to get murdered.

Where can you "just park" because I'm taking my car and I would much rather take the trains because they are fun, which train do you take anyways?

That last paragraph is ridiculous. It's a big frickin city...of course there will be rude people. However, of all the big American cities, Chicago is by far the friendliest IMO. It's not even close.

I grew up there, I agree, its not really rude at all.

Agreed, but Nebraska doesn't have an equivalent. For some, this will be their first visit to a big city. I thought it prudent to warn them if they interact with Chicagoans they may not get the same response as your average person in Lincoln and they shouldn't be suprised. City folk that are busy running around doing whatever may not take the time to even acknowledge them. Giving the impression that Chicago is a friendly town is probably providing the wrong expectation. Saying that to a New Yorker, not a bad idea. I didn't tell them something outrageous such as expect to get shanked if you approach one. Although all the red people invading the city might put the natives on edge. Joking. My family from Omaha visited once and I left them on their own to explore the city. I'm not sure where they were, but they got lost driving around. Ended up asking some bums (the only people around) for directions who were actually helpful. I thought it was funny how they got out of their situation but concerned me enough that I vowed not to repeat the experiment of leaving family on their own in the city.

Just bought my tickets and will be making the trip from Michigan over to Evanston. Looking for a good tailgate to bring the lady to for her first Husker game as well, anyone hear anything about the one at Blur or any other ones that have more of a group feel?

Thank you!

Just bought my tickets and will be making the trip from Michigan over to Evanston. Looking for a good tailgate to bring the lady to for her first Husker game as well, anyone hear anything about the one at Blur or any other ones that have more of a group feel?

Thank you!

I personally know the guy who runs the Blur tailgates, they are always solid. I might be getting free tickets for my friends and I.

As far as the city, we will drive up and park somewhere near the Red line in Chicago, the Red line pretty much gets you between any touristy spot and the game....We will probably hit up downtown and get off somewhere in the "loop" before the game, then we will take the red line up to howard where we will have to switch to the purple line, the purple will take us to central which is near ryan field. Then after the game we will take the purple to howard and then switch to the red line and go down to the belmont stop to check out wrigley, then back down to our car. We are probably going to park somewhere near downtown but south of it so we can have a quick outlet out of the city because we are staying in springfield with buddies. BTW keep in mind if you are using the train systems, plan some extra time no matter how long you think it will take...a rough estimate is about 45 minutes from wrigley to the central stop (ryan field) and about an hour from downtown to the stadium, could be longer or shorter depending on how busy it is.

Metra or L?

Anyone recommend one over the other? Looks like they both have stops right by the stadium.

What are people doing Saturday before the game? Tailgating or downtown bar or Evanston bar?

Everyone i've talked to on NW boards have said to take the L trains around, and it's also cheaper, metra charges by distance, i'm just getting an all day pass for L trains for $5.75, like my above post we are going downtown first and going to nike town, then game, then getting deep dish pizza somewhere, then wrigley, then home.

Best advice in Chicago? Have your concealment license. Do I need to post links with all the violence going on there. Have a native of the land to direct you around so that you do not accidentally wander into a bad part of town. When some one walks up to you and says " Hey let me talk at you!" Slowly pull up your shirt and say go ahead from there. That is all.