Sipple: New AD might encounter rugged terrain

Nexus

As a Wisconsin native, he's used to the cold.

Probably a good thing.

It seemed awfully chilly in the room Thursday when Shawn Eichorst was announced as Nebraska's new athletic director, effective Jan. 1.

Eichorst, athletic director at Miami (Fla.) since April 2011, will enter a challenging situation at NU. It could be awkward, at least initially — not by his doing, mind you.

In many circumstances in life, a new boss evokes feelings of anxiety and general discomfort.

In this case, there's the detail that a Nebraska icon is upset he wasn't more involved in the hiring process.

The icon, Tom Osborne, was conspicuous by his absence at the Van Brunt Visitors Center, where UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman announced his choice to replace Osborne.

Eichorst couldn't attend. He will be formally introduced Tuesday.

Why wasn't Osborne there?

"You'll have to ask him," Perlman said.

The chancellor continued, "I think he's disappointed he didn't play a stronger role."

Osborne had a relatively insignificant role despite Perlman's assurance Sept. 26 — the day Osborne announced his impending retirement — that "Tom will play an important role in advising me" during the hiring process.

So, Osborne feels slighted.

Continue Reading

Not sure where I stand on this. Tom has made some questionable choices in the past in some peoples minds, IE Frank and heavily endorsing Steve Pederson, and some question the Bo hire, I know just a few here, but still a fact.

I do not think it sets fairly for Bo, and I would imagine he is not happy about the situation. Tom is going by the wayside so really does not matter what he thinks now. Again not fair to a man that has given most of his adult life to this program, Actually kind of sad.

This could have far reaching affects on this program, both negatively and positive. I am hoping for the latter.

Good people normally come to the top if given a chance, I will support this hire until proven it was not a good one.

Tom Osborne is an icon in this state, and he was a part of 5 NC teams. More importantly, he has always represented not just the university itself but really the people of this entire state with dignity and with a humble and soft spoken manner that generated respect. And that respect transferred to all of us, really. No one could have stood for us as a symbol of who and what we are better. Tom has been arguably the seminal figure in what made Husker football what it is today. (Devaney, of course, has a say in that debate too.)

He should have been there today. His purposefully abstaining from the press conference was beneath his character, and it reflected poorly on him. I'm disappointed, and yet I understand at the same time. He has to feel a melancholy tinge to this whole process. But it is a little presumptuous for him to assume that he should get to make the call on who follows in his stead. I'm not going into Solich territory here, the HC and AD positions are completely unrelated.

Tom Osborne is not a petty man, by any stretch of the imagination. But this was a petulant display that was unfortunate. (IMVHO.) I love Osborne...I cried when I was a kid and we lost to Florida State not just because we lost, but because they showed Bowden smiling and laughing and seeing stoic Tom in his silent pain on the sideline made me burst into tears, But dammit...you should've swallowed your pride today, and shown your support even if you didn't entirely feel it at the time. I damn sure know you support Nebraska. You didn't today, and that's both surprising and disappointing to me.

Tom Osborne is an icon in this state, and he was a part of 5 NC teams. More importantly, he has always represented not just the university itself but really the people of this entire state with dignity and with a humble and soft spoken manner that generated respect. And that respect transferred to all of us, really. No one could have stood for us as a symbol of who and what we are better. Tom has been arguably the seminal figure in what made Husker football what it is today. (Devaney, of course, has a say in that debate too.)

He should have been there today. His purposefully abstaining from the press conference was beneath his character, and it reflected poorly on him. I'm disappointed, and yet I understand at the same time. He has to feel a melancholy tinge to this whole process. But it is a little presumptuous for him to assume that he should get to make the call on who follows in his stead. I'm not going into Solich territory here, the HC and AD positions are completely unrelated.

Tom Osborne is not a petty man, by any stretch of the imagination. But this was a petulant display that was unfortunate. (IMVHO.) I love Osborne...I cried when I was a kid and we lost to Florida State not just because we lost, but because they showed Bowden smiling and laughing and seeing stoic Tom in his silent pain on the sideline made me burst into tears, But dammit...you should've swallowed your pride today, and shown your support even if you didn't entirely feel it at the time. I damn sure know you support Nebraska. You didn't today, and that's both surprising and disappointing to me.

This may sound like a flippant reply, but perhaps TO was going by the old adage: 'If you don't have anything nice to say; don't say anything at all'. If he were at a presser and was asked questions, perhaps he feared his true feelings would show and this would not be good for the new AD going forward. It might be one of those 'damned if you do; damed if you don't' situations. I know if I tried a little harder I could get more cliches in here, but I will leave it at this for now.

• Fire 1

According to Tom Shatel, TO was in a meeting when Perlman was conducting the presser.

According to Tom Shatel, TO was in a meeting when Perlman was conducting the presser.

Cool, thanks for that info Nexus :)

I hope that's all it was, but still...you'd think TO could reschedule most meetings for an event of that magnitude. Sometimes though, you don't have flexibility. Everyone experiences stuff like that in life. I hope that's all it was.

eichorst is doing very well at miami...the miami football team is just so good the last few year....nominate him to the hall of fame....i also agree with above thread, osborn has made some questionable choices in the past....when he hired frank solich, i was thinking for a school and football powerhouse like nu,,,this guy has no track record....then the slide of nu football began

This may sound like a flippant reply, but perhaps TO was going by the old adage: 'If you don't have anything nice to say; don't say anything at all'. If he were at a presser and was asked questions, perhaps he feared his true feelings would show and this would not be good for the new AD going forward. It might be one of those 'damned if you do; damed if you don't' situations. I know if I tried a little harder I could get more cliches in here, but I will leave it at this for now.

Not flippant at all, a rational theory.

Tom was (and still is) kind of freakishly skilled at keeping his emotions in tow, however. Since I have no idea, I won't speculate because Tom Osborne is literally one of the true heroes of my youth. I looked up to him as a kid, and still have deep admiration for the man.

And honestly, if he was pissed, then so be it. He's earned the right to express himself. If that's what happened today, than it is what it is. Sure as hell won't diminish Tom in my eyes. I guess maybe I wanted him there because now I know the day is coming soon when he won't be. And that's a day when an era ends (again.) And what a turn at AD. New conference, incredible facilities for the basketball program, Erstad brought in (still think he's going to be a really, really good one,) Smiles hired (jury out but I think we may be pleasantly surprised.) Success for the women's BB and VB teams.

And most of all, bringing our football team back from the ocean floor. That was heavy lifting.

What a career. It's pretty staggering when you think of everything he has accomplished for the university we all love. Yeah...180. I don't care if he didn't show up because he was mad at all at this point. Tom can do whatever he want. Not showing up to a PC is pretty mild, anyway.

EDIT: Would have been smart to read the article Nexus linked before I posted. :facepalm: Article lays it at Harvey's feet pretty squarely.

I hope that's all it was, but still...you'd think TO could reschedule most meetings for an event of that magnitude. Sometimes though, you don't have flexibility. Everyone experiences stuff like that in life. I hope that's all it was.

A story like this was bound to be put under the tiniest of microscopes. Details, whether fact or hearsay, are going to have the biggest spotlight shone on it, with a dose of exaggeration to a certain degree. Because of the Pederson saga, the wounds are still fresh around here, so whenever anyone in the media hints at a breakdown in communication on a story like this, it's bound to bring out the worst in us and our own personal speculation meter goes into overdrive and not for the better.

I didn't come away from Sipple's piece feeling the same way you did. IMO, the presser that really matters occurs Tuesday (Oct. 9th), when Eichorst makes his debut. Between now and then, we should have a healthy dose of quotes from TO, Bo and anyone else that will be involved with Eichorst within the athletic dept. Until then I'm approaching this situation with tact.

A story like this was bound to be put under the tiniest of microscopes. Details, whether fact or hearsay, are going to have the biggest spotlight shone on it, with a dose of exaggeration to a certain degree. Because of the Pederson saga, the wounds are still fresh around here, so whenever anyone in the media hints at a breakdown in communication on a story like this, it's bound to bring out the worst in us and our own personal speculation meter goes into overdrive and not for the better.

I didn't come away from Sipple's piece feeling the same way you did. IMO, the presser that really matters occurs Tuesday (Oct. 9th), when Eichorst makes his debut. Between now and then, we should have a healthy dose of quotes from TO, Bo and anyone else that will be involved with Eichorst within the athletic dept. Until then I'm approaching this situation with tact.

Yeah, I just edited my last post...I failed to read the link, just reacted like an idiot without knowing what actually happened. Dumb :lol:

What really jumped out at me was the line about "irreparable damage" with Pelini. That's pretty strong language.

Yeah, I just edited my last post...I failed to read the link, just reacted like an idiot without knowing what actually happened. Dumb :lol:

What really jumped out at me was the line about "irreparable damage" with Pelini. That's pretty strong language.

You're human. No need to edit yourself. We've all jumped the gun before. ;)

Thanks Nexus. Always a kind word from you my friend :)

And if science ever needs living proof that humans are infinitely flawed creatures, you know where to send them. You should get some commish outta that deal, too. Finder's fee, or something. :lol:

Thanks Nexus. Always a kind word from you my friend :)

And if science ever needs living proof that humans are infinitely flawed creatures, you know where to send them. You should get some commish outta that deal, too. Finder's fee, or something. :lol:

Likewise, good sir. :)

In the words of the great Mark Twain:

"Get your facts first, then distort them later."

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so."

• Fire 1