Sipple: New AD might encounter rugged terrain

Nexus

I think probably more effort should have been made to make Tom not feel slighted. If that characterization is correct.

However, I don't agree that he should hand-pick his successor. As skersfan mentioned, the last time he hand-picked a successor we ended up with Solich as HC instead of going out and getting someone. He also heavily endorsed Steve Pederson, is that right, for AD?

My read is that Perlman led them to believe they both would have significant input in the process. They didn't, especially Pelini.

This seems like a fairly fiery article. I have to say I'm not surprised the above is coming from Mr. Sipple.

I don't know why everyone is so down on Solich as a coach here. He did a fine job in my opinion. We did have that 7-7 season, but there was the Pelini hire and a 10-3 season after. He seems to be doing a good job at Ohio as well.

As a Wisconsin native, he's used to the cold.

Probably a good thing.

It seemed awfully chilly in the room Thursday when Shawn Eichorst was announced as Nebraska's new athletic director, effective Jan. 1.

Eichorst, athletic director at Miami (Fla.) since April 2011, will enter a challenging situation at NU. It could be awkward, at least initially — not by his doing, mind you.

In many circumstances in life, a new boss evokes feelings of anxiety and general discomfort.

In this case, there's the detail that a Nebraska icon is upset he wasn't more involved in the hiring process.

The icon, Tom Osborne, was conspicuous by his absence at the Van Brunt Visitors Center, where UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman announced his choice to replace Osborne.

Eichorst couldn't attend. He will be formally introduced Tuesday.

Why wasn't Osborne there?

"You'll have to ask him," Perlman said.

The chancellor continued, "I think he's disappointed he didn't play a stronger role."

Osborne had a relatively insignificant role despite Perlman's assurance Sept. 26 — the day Osborne announced his impending retirement — that "Tom will play an important role in advising me" during the hiring process.

So, Osborne feels slighted.

Continue Reading

Well then, that's the dumbest move I've heard of in a very long time. Now I'm wondering if there's more to the retirement. How can you not have Tom involved after the job he's done?

As a Wisconsin native, he's used to the cold.

Probably a good thing.

It seemed awfully chilly in the room Thursday when Shawn Eichorst was announced as Nebraska's new athletic director, effective Jan. 1.

Eichorst, athletic director at Miami (Fla.) since April 2011, will enter a challenging situation at NU. It could be awkward, at least initially — not by his doing, mind you.

In many circumstances in life, a new boss evokes feelings of anxiety and general discomfort.

In this case, there's the detail that a Nebraska icon is upset he wasn't more involved in the hiring process.

The icon, Tom Osborne, was conspicuous by his absence at the Van Brunt Visitors Center, where UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman announced his choice to replace Osborne.

Eichorst couldn't attend. He will be formally introduced Tuesday.

Why wasn't Osborne there?

"You'll have to ask him," Perlman said.

The chancellor continued, "I think he's disappointed he didn't play a stronger role."

Osborne had a relatively insignificant role despite Perlman's assurance Sept. 26 — the day Osborne announced his impending retirement — that "Tom will play an important role in advising me" during the hiring process.

So, Osborne feels slighted.

Continue Reading

Well then, that's the dumbest move I've heard of in a very long time. Now I'm wondering if there's more to the retirement. How can you not have Tom involved after the job he's done?

And...the plan was to have Osborne stay on to help with the transition. How's that going to go now? If Tom wasn't the true definition of class he could make the transition almost impossible.

It's funny that a boss is overstepping the boundaries of his employees.

Depends on your perspective, I suppose.

Depends if the boss is considered an idiot or not. When the (old) owner of the company I work for started trying to micromanage my department (budgets, personnel, "back in my day") I kindly told him to back off, or I walk. He didn't have a clue about how to do my job. He was a hardass who pretty much thought the only way to do something was his way. He's gone now, and it's much nicer to work here.

Just because you're put in a position of management doesn't mean you're good at everything. HP was very close to "resigning" in 2007 because of how bad he screwed the university.

The more I read this, the less respect I have for Steven Sipple and the little warpath he went on based on "[his] read into this."

I have to agree on this. Kind of a dissappointing view. And I'm a big Sip fan. I like his sunshine-pumping style. But this was kind of dissappointing read for me. Kind of a stirring-the-turd tone that I wouldnt expect from Sip. Dirk? yes. So it begs to question? Who knows what the hell really is going on.

Still waiting for Seroiusly?'s imput on this. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with Sip writing this story (it is his job). Maybe I'm reading into the article/situation wrong, but it seems that Sipple might feel slighted by the fact that Osborne and Pelini didn't have any say in the hiring of the new A.D. Sipple has been around Husker football a long time, and there is no doubt that he has a lot invested in the program, and the success of his program. Sipple is a fan of Nebraska football, no doubt about that; and like the rest of us, you can sense his disappointment in Harvey for not doing the right thing. These were careless moves by Harvey, because there is no harm in consulting, and atleast listening to Tom and Bo about what they are looking for in a new A.D. However, there is plenty of harm that can be done if you choose to not seek them out for input (see the situation now).

This just adds to the troubles in the Harvey/Bo relationship and that isn't good. Hopefully Bo can look past this, but I have no problem with him being pissed about not being consulted. With Dr. Tom leaving the building, there is no question who the most important man in the university is, that man is Bo, and he should have been involved in the decision, or atleast the process!

The largest issue with Harvey's insensitivity, is that now he puts the new A.D. in one hell of a spot....

Quick question and Not trying to be an ASS here. Pearlman has been upset at Bo in the past Correct? I personally do not like this hire. Here are the reasons. 1) You took a Miami job that was all screwed up. 2) Do not deny that you had any idea how bad it was. i have been behind the scenes on things and I was aware of a lot of things before going forward. 3) He is a Wisconsin guy Correct? 4) I hope I am just flat ass wrong on this hiring is all.

Not sure where I stand on this. Tom has made some questionable choices in the past in some peoples minds, IE Frank and heavily endorsing Steve Pederson, and some question the Bo hire, I know just a few here, but still a fact.

I do not think it sets fairly for Bo, and I would imagine he is not happy about the situation. Tom is going by the wayside so really does not matter what he thinks now. Again not fair to a man that has given most of his adult life to this program, Actually kind of sad.

This could have far reaching affects on this program, both negatively and positive. I am hoping for the latter.

Good people normally come to the top if given a chance, I will support this hire until proven it was not a good one.

I would just like to say that if it came down to trusting TO's judgement on something or HP's I'd have to side with Osborne almost all of the time...

PX00175_9.jpg

Dr. Tom reminds me so much of my grandpa (who passed a few years back at a very young 99 years of age). He was raised on a farm in Nebraska and he had that same even tempered, calm, thoughtful demeanor (and a little bit dry wit) that Dr. Tom has. I guess it's a Nebraska thing. He was a very easy guy to hang around with and I imagine TO the same way. I hope this whole situation doesn't leave a bitter taste in his mouth...I would hate for him to stop hanging around the program.

• Fire 1

The more I read this, the less respect I have for Steven Sipple and the little warpath he went on based on "[his] read into this."

I agree. The article by Sipple in my opinion seems to be adding fuel to a situation that really has no fire. Why can't this situation be viewed as simply as the situation is "simple". Tom Osborne has given the majority of his life to this state and this University and is ready to step aside. He doesn't have to choose his successor. He deserves nothing but utmost repsect for everything he has done in his lifetime. This University needs an Athletic Director and Mr. Osborne is ready to relinquish this role. Who is to say that Tom doesn't absolutely trust Mr. Perlman to make that decision. IT IS PERLMAN'S DECISION TO MAKE! Mr. Osborne no doubt will help in the transition and leave a legacy at this University that is surpassed by none in my opinion. More than likely never will be. Bo, on the other hand, has a job to do. That job is preparing this team for Ohio St. this week. I hardly believe Bo is too concerned about what is going on with the AD position. Bo has to feel fairly secure in his position, and if he doesn't feel secure, I get the impression that he isn't the type who frets over that kind of nonsense on a daily basis. He seems fairly able to roll with the punches. Bo will do his job, Harvey will do his, and Tom will be the the Great Man he has always been and step aside for the final time at Nebraska. It only makes what should be a celebration of a man's life, what should be a celebration of a MORE THAN GREAT CAREER, it makes it ugly. It's just a disgrace that we can't handle this whole transtion with more class. Without the f'ing MEDIA and guys like Sipple trying to make it a front page controversy. I'm seriously disgusted by Sipple's article.

Fire Perlman. I have nothing against the new guy. But you don't treat Osborne, Pelini and Solich that way. Yes, it's not their decision, but considering Bo has to work with him and what Osborne has done for Nebraska, he could have done it more respectfully. There is a right way to do it, and it was not done the right way (if the facts in the article are right).

If Perlman asks Bo for his input, he also would need to ask Miles, Cook, Erstad, etc. about their opinions. Football is not the only sport at Nebraska.

And.................?

Sipple writes for a living. The more he stirs the turds, the better his bosses like it. That is what sells their product, the newspaper. Sipple does what he does what he does to support is standing as a "journalist."

The guys who know me on the board understand that I have NEVER claimed to know anything on the inside....and NO, I will not name my source for reasons that would be obvious.... I too am a Sipple fan.....but trust me on this one.... I know for a FACT (first time I can say that in my Husker life) that the only "turd Sip is stirring" is the BIG one Pearlman laid in Dr. Tom's lap. Pearlman just just get the f out of town. Yes, TO retired on his own terms...

Not that the new guy wont be great...but I am telling you....Sip is ALL OVER THIS ONE.

I here the same thing from my friends back home. I thought also that this hire was to quick. You don't have to be from Nebraska to become a good A D, or a bad one, [Pederson] but it doesn't seem that many of the former players that were mentioned as maybe being the next A D, were even talked to.

Perlman is riding the wave of the success, Tom brought back to the athletic department and the respect and tradition that was fading fast. Now he wants to stick his head back out of his shell and try his hand at running the Univ in the light of day again. He botched the Pud/Callahan fiasco by giving them those raises, only to turn around and have Tom clean up his mess. He thought about resigning in 2007, lets hope it doesn't comes to that again.

I sure won't be surprised next year, if Bo does some of those interviews for a coaching vacancy, that he didn't entertain in the past. I hope I am wrong, but this doesn't sound good. This new A D may work out fine, but Perlman seems to have stepped on a few important toes, trying to let everyone know , who's in charge.

GBR!!!

eichorst is doing very well at miami...the miami football team is just so good the last few year....nominate him to the hall of fame....i also agree with above thread, osborn has made some questionable choices in the past....when he hired frank solich, i was thinking for a school and football powerhouse like nu,,,this guy has no track record....then the slide of nu football began

What?