Attn: John Henderson of the Denver Post

Dear Mr. Henderson,

I always enjoy reading an outsiders take on the state of the Husker football program. And in today's era of "negativism sells newspapers" this is a juicy story, or so it would appear. The problem with your story is that it doesn't come close to representing the majority of Husker fans feelings about Coach Callahan or the program. If Husker fans are slitting their wrists over anything, it's the price of Gary Michaels' suits. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so on behalf of a majority of the Husker Faithful, I'll give you our opinion. Frank Solich deserved to be fired because he inherited a national championship caliber team and over the course of four seasons, turned it into a 7-7 team in 2002. But everyone conveniently overlooks that season and instead points to a 9-3 season which saw us lose at home to Kansas State by a score of 38-9, and lose on the road to Texas and Missouri by 24 and 17 points, respectively. After losing our four best defensive players to graduation and the NFL draft, and due to a lack of effort on the recruiting trail, the team that Bill Callahan inherited in 2004 was doomed to have its problems. That's not to mention that for some of the players, this was their third defensive coordinator in three years. It became a perfect storm that badly damaged Callahan's ship, while Solich sailed out of harms way just as the water was getting choppy. It's telling to me that Solich ended up in Ohio instead of at another major college program.

As to the comments in your article about Nebraskans hiding under their pillows, you must be referring to those bandwagon fans who got on in 1994 thinking that it was their birthright to play for a conference title or national championship each season. They probably weren't aware that fans were calling for Osborne to be fired after the 1987 loss to the Sooners, which was the fourth loss to OU in as many years.

The past two seasons are only hard to stomach if you fail to see the rebuilding effort that is underway in Lincoln. Callahan and his staff have devoted their entire efforts into making the Huskers the dominant team in the Big 12. You can see it in their recruiting. Who cares about the 4 and 5 star recruits. I'm talking about the Steve Octaviens and the Seth Jensens that this staff has recruited. These guys have the intangibles to make the Huskers a great team again. One thing the vocal minority of Husker fans can't do is see past the tree in front of them to realize that they are lost in the forest.

As to some of the other points made in your article, the West Coast Offense began at Candlestick Park. Anyone who has been there knows that the weather in that stadium on any given gameday is worse than the weather in Memorial Stadium. If the WCO worked there, it will work here. Roger Craig, the former Nebraska running back who played under Bill Walsh, said early on that the WCO will take some time and patience is needed, but when it clicks, watch out. As to the hard work ethic of Nebraskans, I'm quite sure that Bill Callahan and his staff work longer hours than almost everyone in the state who isn't a farmer. Callahan hasn't had time to weave himself into our fabric because a vocal minority have told him that either you win and win now, or you're out. Would you be out hobnobbing in Hebron, or doing everything in your power to make your team a success?

Scott Frost cracks me up some times. He's really a funny guy, but someone needs to tell him that the South Stadium changed long before Bill Callahan showed up. Solich wasn't Osborne, and for that matter, neither is Callahan. No one will ever be in the same company as Osborne. That is, until they win a few national championships. That changes everything. Winning is what matters to Husker fans. Don't let them kid you with all of this continuity talk or tradition talk. If Callahan would have come in and won right away and had us playing in a BCS bowl this year, you wouldn't hear any of this criticism about traditions going by the wayside. It's all about winning. Just like it is everywhere else. On the flip side, if Solich would have led us the past two seasons to 6 or 7 victories per year, I guarantee he would have been run out of town.

In summary, I know a lot of fans out there who are excited for the Husker football program going forward. Bill Callahan's emphasis on recruiting is what will replenish the talent pool at Nebraska. If he is given the time, we will see our team competing and winning against the other great teams in college football. Any true Husker fan should want to see Callahan succeed, because if he doesn't, it's the program that suffers most. Give it time. Have patience. We'll be back.

Husker Faithful: Your column was well put together and was very sccinct regarding the Husker Nation of fans. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the buggy whip attitude by many. They are like a 5th column in WWII (the enemy within).

I presume that next year, given success, these people won't have the courage to come out and say: "I was premature and wrong in my judgement."

Unfortunately, I think you overlooked one important piece in your letter. I'm not sure the majority of Husker faithful concur with your views. Take this board for example. Even the die hard BC lovers were calling for his head after the KU loss.

You allude to the 2002 season. By your view, Fulmer should be fired from Tennessee this year because he took a NC team from a few years back and will miss a bowl game this year. I guess fire Fulmer away!!!! :sarcasm

Solich did what was asked of him. He made changes. He went from 7-7 to 10-3. Apparently, this wasn't good enough for Pud. JoePa I'm sure was asked to make changes after his team had slipped. He made necessary changes, and look where he's at. It would have been one thing if Solich had simply ignored the request not making changes thus not making progress. But, the fact of the matter is he did.

This entire dibacle really has nothing to do with BC. This is all Pud's ugly stepchild he created himself. He painted himself into a corner on this one. He'll either be a hero or a zero.