Turning point

JTrain

Up 17-7. We've been bringing 5-6, making Braxton uncomfortable and getting a few hits on him. We come out with a three-man line and they run a zone read to the right.

Randle and Compton both initially go for the running back, which seemed like a missed assignment since Whaley clearly had contain on that side. Randle pays for it by getting completely blocked out of the play and Braxton cuts up field in the gap Randle left. Compton realizes Braxton has it and turns to his right to try to cut him off, but gets blatantly pushed in the back by an OSU lineman. I'm not sure he could've gotten there, but he would have had a shot to dive and trip him up for a five yard gain, or at least tackle him from the back when Braxton later cut back to the right, had he not been pushed.

Meanwhile, Eric Martin was blitzing the "A" gap on the other side, realized the play was going the other way and tried to pull back from the lineman he had just slammed into, but got pulled down by the shoulder pads. Wasn't as blatant and it was tough for the refs to see, but still definitely holding. He would've most likely gotten a clean shot at Braxton had he not been pulled down.

Next, Braxton hits two freakish jukes, first on PJ Smith then a hop-step on Whaley. Then it was off the races, and they cut the deficit to 17-14. After that, I felt like we were a lot more timid with our playcalling on defense. We were worried about Braxton breaking off the big play, when actually our aggressive playcalling was helping us. I can't help but wonder what happens if Martin doesn't get pulled down, tackles Braxton for a 3-4 yard gain and they end up punting on that drive. We continue blitzing and Ohio State starts to play with more desperation. Beck feels less responsibility to keep up the scoring pace and calls it more conservatively in the passing game (especially on 3rd and long).

I'm not trying to blame the refs for the loss. I'm sure there were a dozen missed holdings on us as well. I just think that play was the turning point in this game, and it could have taken a really different path had that play gone differently.

• Fire 3

Jtrain, Man I love your steadfastness. But one play did not determine this game. The whole defensive scheme or lack of it did. We put up 38 points in a hostile, very hostile stadium and they dropped 63 points on us. We have major problems, not bad plays or poor calls. We got our asses handed to us just like we do every time the game is important, and normally on National TV.

yes, I am dumbfounded by the lack of attackishness after the 1st quarter. It looked great. And I even saw a snippet at one time of Miller snapping at a couple teammates. At some point in time this coaching staff-ALL ACROSS THE BOARD- is going to have to learn to STICK WITH WHAT IS WORKING. No, one long play does not justify "it's not working anymore". That's my thought. Frustration is building a little more.

Jtrain, Man I love your steadfastness. But one play did not determine this game. The whole defensive scheme or lack of it did. We put up 38 points in a hostile, very hostile stadium and they dropped 63 points on us. We have major problems, not bad plays or poor calls. We got our asses handed to us just like we do every time the game is important, and normally on National TV.

We basically handed them 14 points from INTs, and one TD from a punt return. So our defense didn't give up 63. Not that the D was good overall (they weren't), but you can't put all 63 on the defense, obviously.

Also, you say the lack of defensive scheme hurt us. Re-read my post. You'll see that I'm referencing the difference in scheme before and after that play. Prior to that play, we had played 18+ minutes of football and Ohio State's offense had scored exactly ZERO points. In the first quarter, Ohio State had 17 yards total offense (6 of that from the punter). There was definitely a noticeable difference between the play calls up to that 74-yard Braxton run and the ones from that point forward.

We played differently, we were actually blitzing in the first quarter and had Braxton scrambled. We quit, that is on the staff. Yea Taylor made a pick six, give you that. But the supposed defensive genius we have should be able to figure a way to stop the onslaught, or maybe he is not the genius some believe. I am pretty much over him. Will support this team, but I see us dropping to 6 and 6 this year as I thought from the start.

After that, I felt like we were a lot more timid with our playcalling on defense. We were worried about Braxton breaking off the big play, when actually our aggressive playcalling was helping us.

I think this is really quality analysis and I'm bumping it in the hopes of getting more eyes on it. Great point here.

After that, I felt like we were a lot more timid with our playcalling on defense. We were worried about Braxton breaking off the big play, when actually our aggressive playcalling was helping us.

I think this is really quality analysis and I'm bumping it in the hopes of getting more eyes on it. Great point here.

i agree. we needed to be aggressive even if we gave up a few big ones to braxton.

i agree. we needed to be aggressive even if we gave up a few big ones to braxton.

Let's see, every team that has slowed or stopped a mobile QB has done it with pressure. It works. We did and it was working. The bend don't break means you give up chunks, but not TD's. We went away from the pressure and the bending flat out broke. I would prefer beating on Miller every play and making him gun shy. Cheat up a safety in run support and dare them to throw. We went all scaredy cat and Miller made us eat his jock for a career high as our defense had no answer and no speed to recover.

I see a lot of merit to this argument. Huge difference between a coaching staff choosing the wrong path during a game versus having absolutely no idea what to do from the start. We were having great success until that point. Genuinely curious to hear the reason why what was working early wouldn't have continued working.

• Fire 1