How will TO's retirement affect Bo's job security?

Sparker

So many people seem to want Bo gone now, but idolize T.O. and can completely overlook the fact that it took him 23 years. Im not saying I have 2 decades of patience, but you've got to give a guy a chance. Im sure glad we didn't chase Tom out after a few 9 win seasons (although I understand it might not have been to lack of effort to have him removed). Just a little tired of people only citing the sunny side of history to compare the current situation to.

You also have to remember Tom played for a few national titles in the 80s also. Miami, Lost to Penn st on the famous out of bounds play, Clemson. Those are the 3 I can remember. So Tom had them there and in postion. Games just did not work out. I think there was another one in the 80s also? I might be wrong on that.

That's true, but he also had the advantage of taking over a pretty good team, not the trainwreck that Bo was asked to turn around.

So many people seem to want Bo gone now, but idolize T.O. and can completely overlook the fact that it took him 23 years. Im not saying I have 2 decades of patience, but you've got to give a guy a chance. Im sure glad we didn't chase Tom out after a few 9 win seasons (although I understand it might not have been to lack of effort to have him removed). Just a little tired of people only citing the sunny side of history to compare the current situation to.

You also have to remember Tom played for a few national titles in the 80s also. Miami, Lost to Penn st on the famous out of bounds play, Clemson. Those are the 3 I can remember. So Tom had them there and in postion. Games just did not work out. I think there was another one in the 80s also? I might be wrong on that.

That's true, but he also had the advantage of taking over a pretty good team, not the trainwreck that Bo was asked to turn around.

Agreed. Then almost lost his job if he did not win that bowl game.

I am curious as to why anyone thinks we will have a better defense next year. Who are our leading tacklers this year? Will Compton, Baker Steinkuhler, PJ Smith, Daimon Stafford --- all seniors. We lose Whaley whose last two games had him as a tackle leader. We will lose two of our top three DE's too. Who as a young defender has shown anything? No... I'd surmise that the defense will be very fortunate next season to be as "good" as this years defense.

Our offense should be better. But defense? I am not sure why anyone would suggest they will be better... except those who are just generically thinking that it is hardly possible to get worse.

We were consistently a top 10 team under TO. Bo has yet to finish in the top 10.

We were consistently a top 10 team under TO. Bo has yet to finish in the top 10.

TO's teams always played with amazing heart --- amazing hustle and with huge effort --- even in defeat. They fought hard and never quit and played hard every down. Even when their opponents were much better players... no team ever out-hustled a TO-coached NU squad.

Bo's teams do NONE of these things. They are routinely out-hearted, out-hustled, and the opposition normally if far more intense and better prepared.

And... TO was never an embarrassment on the sideline, in an interview or in interpersonal relations. Bo... is just a personal embarrassment for the university.

I do not idolize TO. But he could coach up a storm and his players to play HARD INTENSE and prepared. Bo cannot do these things. Now, TO has been uniformly bad in terms of suggested hires and actual hires. When he left he made a mistake in championing Solich for the hire. Bad move. NU was at its zenith and should have hired outstanding demonstrated excellence to replace TO... but did not. Hiring Bo was a TO mistake as well.

So... idolize TO? No. Generally respect him? Yes. Great coach. Now.. as to Bo. Dislike him? No. Respect him...NO. Mediocre coach at best.

Lando, How are we not better than last year? Please explain. Offense looks 100% better and defense is just the same.

Bo does cherish the values and traditions here. A head coach is not one who can go and ruin traditions and values, like an AD can do. AD ultimately has the right to change a lot (IE Uniforms, the balloon celebration, tunnel walk music, and anything else to do with celebration) as a coach does not. Sure he may have an input, but he can not change the values and traditions like your stating. Bo is turning things around slowly, and it had to start with the offense. Can't score points, you aren't going to win. Now that the offense is set, and is pretty stellar, its time for the defense, which we are working hard on recruiting.

Stop comparing Tom Osborne and Bo. Two different people in two totally different eras. Its simple... Most NU fans have little to no patience and due to this, we will just keep going in a vicious circle, like we have since T/O left. We had something good, (Frank Solich), fans weren't happy enough, fired him and now we have something good again, and people want him gone too.

TO's teams always played with amazing heart --- amazing hustle and with huge effort --- even in defeat. They fought hard and never quit and played hard every down. Even when their opponents were much better players... no team ever out-hustled a TO-coached NU squad.

Bo's teams do NONE of these things. They are routinely out-hearted, out-hustled, and the opposition normally if far more intense and better prepared.

And... TO was never an embarrassment on the sideline, in an interview or in interpersonal relations. Bo... is just a personal embarrassment for the university.

I do not idolize TO. But he could coach up a storm and his players to play HARD INTENSE and prepared. Bo cannot do these things. Now, TO has been uniformly bad in terms of suggested hires and actual hires. When he left he made a mistake in championing Solich for the hire. Bad move. NU was at its zenith and should have hired outstanding demonstrated excellence to replace TO... but did not. Hiring Bo was a TO mistake as well.

So... idolize TO? No. Generally respect him? Yes. Great coach. Now.. as to Bo. Dislike him? No. Respect him...NO. Mediocre coach at best.

I am one who is not embarrassed of Bo for his actions on the sideline or in the press room. If I remember right, T/O wasn't much of a fan of the press as well, and had his moments.

I wouldn't say that no kid on that field is playing with no heart. You might be going a little too far on that.

I am curious as to why anyone thinks we will have a better defense next year. Who are our leading tacklers this year? Will Compton, Baker Steinkuhler, PJ Smith, Daimon Stafford --- all seniors. We lose Whaley whose last two games had him as a tackle leader. We will lose two of our top three DE's too. Who as a young defender has shown anything? No... I'd surmise that the defense will be very fortunate next season to be as "good" as this years defense.

Our offense should be better. But defense? I am not sure why anyone would suggest they will be better... except those who are just generically thinking that it is hardly possible to get worse.

Faster, stronger kids who can be coached one way, instead of going through multiple coaching changes and styles maybe?

Indeed you are correct about some kids playing with heart. Thanks for pointing that out. I did not mean that every player w/o exception is playing flat, unfocused, and w/o heart. No. NU does have some players who play hard. But... generally, the team as a whole is flat and playing w/o heart.

Indeed you are correct about some kids playing with heart. Thanks for pointing that out. I did not mean that every player w/o exception is playing flat, unfocused, and w/o heart. No. NU does have some players who play hard. But... generally, the team as a whole is flat and playing w/o heart.

The word I best described that is Passion. I actually have a thread stating that it seems like we have kids that are here to play, and thats it. We need more kids that WANT to be here, and are willing to always give it their all. Like Taylor and Rex, and pretty much the whole offense, with the exception of a few Olinemen, and on the D, you have Stafford, Green, PJS and pretty much any other DB. Our passion lacks for our Dline and LB honestly. The kids who want to be out there are red shirted, either to get more experience and make them more valuable or because of injury.

Before anyone touts us as being better this year than last year, I think they need to look at things closer. The argument is that our offense is better this year than last year. However, I don't believe we led the nation in turnovers last year. Isn't it the offense that turns the ball over? I don't remember the defense giving up the second most yards to what now seems an inferior team in the past five decades either. Bo needs three more years, but at this juncture of the season I'm not willing to say we're a better team this year than last year.

Then, I read how we were in our zenith or whatever when TO retired and should have gotten a sure thing. If memory serves me correctly, $ Byrne wanted to hire Bob Stoops. Remember, at the time no one knew anything about Bob Stoops other than he was a redhot defensive coordinator. Sound familiar? Even the AD at the time wasn't going after a Saban or the likes, but rather was going after a hot defensive coordinator. Harvey Pearlman is a proven liar, but even he isn't dumb enough to give the new AD the power to fire Bo this season or probably next season for the matter. Eventually, the history books are more than likely going to shed more light that Harvey Pearlman has done more to destroy Husker football than any other individual. Bo gets at least three more years. The biggest question is whether or not he deserves it? The bar was moved when Solich was fired after six years and Clownahan after four. The problem with sure things are they just don't really exist. Texas thought Mack Brown was a sure thing, but he's really struggled the past few years. Lloyd Carr had his problems at Michigan after winning it all. Phillip Fulmer did as well. Urban Meyer will have a good season with Tressel recruits, but is he going to be able to recruit like Tressel considering the promises and such he's made to his family?

Are we to again fire a coach that has done nothing other than win at least 9 wins a season? If we think Bo embarrasses us then we have all too soon forgotten the embarrasment that was Steve Pederson's

firing of Frank Solich and hiring of Bill Callahan. If we fire another 9 win coach how will we ever persuade a quality coach to come to Nebraska, we won't.

T_O_B

:bigredn: