***WALK-ONS***

Got to thinking about how successful our walk-on program has been! I would like to hear who you guys would love to see get a shot! As a walkon, you commit knowing 2 or 3 guys are committing every year to play your position on scholarship.

Maybe you'd like to see someone play that may never get a chance because of scheme.

I'd like to see QB Ryker Fyfe get a shot. Saw him play in highschool. He has a big arm. I just don't think he'll ever get a shot here. We have some big name guys in front of him(incl. JS). In my opinion, I think he eventually goes somewhere else or has to switch positions. I thought Frankie offered him out of highschool. I think he would've fit that system perfectly! GBR

Thing about the walk-on's was/is, though we had quite a fair share the had giant impacts on the field, that we had Nebraska kids that wanted nothing more than to be a part of the program, regardless what the role was, and those kids would show up and bust their tails day after day, like everyday was a game, hence pushing the "stars" to be better and better. I wouldnt say we dont have that anymore, but the fact of what Callahan did to the walk-on program here may have permanently ruined the mystique. It may never fully recover to what it once was, because now there are hurdles such as increased tuition, poor economy, flourishing ag industry (face it, it's better for a high school farm kid to just stay home and run dad's farm than go to school) that really were not that gleaming then. Now, alot of these kids are taking the scholarships to the lesser programs because they just can't afford not to.

Thing about the walk-on's was/is, though we had quite a fair share the had giant impacts on the field, that we had Nebraska kids that wanted nothing more than to be a part of the program, regardless what the role was, and those kids would show up and bust their tails day after day, like everyday was a game, hence pushing the "stars" to be better and better. I wouldnt say we dont have that anymore, but the fact of what Callahan did to the walk-on program here may have permanently ruined the mystique. It may never fully recover to what it once was, because now there are hurdles such as increased tuition, poor economy, flourishing ag industry (face it, it's better for a high school farm kid to just stay home and run dad's farm than go to school) that really were not that gleaming then. Now, alot of these kids are taking the scholarships to the lesser programs because they just can't afford not to.

I agree. So do you have a walkon you'd like to see get a shot that may never see the field?

Callahan had his faults, but "kiling the walkon program" was not one of them. What did was the NCAA limit on grad assitants in 1998 and since there wasn't the coaches, there had to be cutdowns that affected that program and it had nothing to do with Callahan. What also killed the walk on program was the expansion of televison. Up until the late 1990's only a few elite teams were getting on TV every week or close to it, so those kids were willing to wait for two years to get a shot a playing at an elite program. Now that everyone is on every week and they have just as much of a chance making the NFL at a small school, than they do at an elite one, why waste two years on the bench when you can go to the Iowa State's/Ohio's of the world and play all four years and be on TV for your parents to see you?

How many walk on all american's have we had? Something like 120? We used to have 120 walk on's every season, and that was during the Devany and Osborne era's, That is almost 40 years of 120 walk ons a year, now that percentace isn't very good, now is it?. Of course it has it's great stories, and I'm not against a walk on program, but i'm shocked by how my NU fans glorify a part of the program that has very little to do with winning at a high level. Hell, just look at our OL, it has 3 walk on's and it's terriable. That doesn't show that walk on's are great, it shows our coaches failures in recrutiing OL.

The Walk On program helped to maintain and strenghten the tradition that was/is Nebraska Football.

A 'farm kid' can't just stay home and run Dad's farm. Farming is as much a business as anything else and without know how you are screwed.

T_O_B