First 4 years, a comparison between 4 Husker coaches

the numbers game makes me laugh as well.. because it is so stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, I guess it makes sense to those that only care about that stuff. A good coach is not defined by his record alone.

They didn't include Cally for a reason.. he was never a husker coach, not like those that were used. I didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

The 3 used ARE Nebraska football, and are what you want your newest coach to aspire to be.

I want the coach of my team to "aspire" to the following:

Undefeated seasons, every season

Division/Conference/National Championships, every season

Graduate every single player. Scholarship and Walk-on, every year.

FYI, Devaney nor Osborne accomplished this. Nor Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, "Bear" Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer, Bill Snyder, Rockne, Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes. NO ONE has ever came close to accomplishing this!!!!

Yet, our coach Bo Pelini (along with any coach worth a paycheck) aspires to this level.

To "disqualify" Bill Callahan, or any other Husker coach (because they didn't "aspire") is dangerously stupid...

No it isn't, Cally was nothing you want in a college coach. Yes, any coach worth his weight will aspire to that level.. thanks you made my point. You don't have a mentor that has a college career like cally did. That is why you don't include him in this type of comparison.

No point in continuing this.....

Have a good Saturday :)

(p.s.: I'm sure Cally and Cosgrove "wanted" to lose those games and mess up the program. From the sounds of it they really enjoyed your death threats)

If I were you I would be careful when it comes to defaming another person on this board.

lo country, sure you can go off of numbers and stats, but the stats don't show how how the program was, when that coach took control. Devaney, he simply built the platform for NU. Osborne was handed a great team, with great talent with coaches and players. He continued the success, with his own ups and downs, until Solich took over.

Sorry, I have to disagree with statement. In 73 TO went 9-2-1 with a young class. (Humm was a JR.), again in 74, he was 9-3 and it wasn't until 75 with Ferragamo that he went 10-2, dropping his bowl game and falling to 9th in the polls. I am not saying that in Nebraska lore, these weren't good teams. I just don't think they were great teams. Pelini conversely, was handed a lot of talent. Had Cos never been hired, and Clownahan got a defensive genius, this would be a different story.

It's amazing how that myth lives on forever, I'm just too lazy to look it up "again" but Clownahan's offensive stats were massively padded with endless garbage pts/yds where we racked up big stats while playing the opponent's waterboys (while down 3 or more TDs). Even a casual glance at his schedule & scores showed good to decent defenses stopping Clownahan's offense stone cold.

He could tear apart SunBelt teams though. That's for sure.

Sorry bshirt, I was not defending Clowahan's offense in anyway. I was merely pointing out the talent as a good to great team when coaches took over. My comment in no way said, "Callahan's offenses put up great numbers", it merely stated that Pelini had better talent taking over a team than TO did and imagine what might have happened if he (Billy C) had made a great hire in a D coordinator. Meaning, we still might have the idiot as a coach.

Meh ... interesting stats but they really don't mean anything. Obviously we aren't as good as we'd like but it's a totally different world. Comparing teams across different eras is really hard. Anyone who hasn't figured out that college football has changed drastically in the last 20 years - let alone the last 60 - really doesn't know anything about the game. They were trying to run Osborne out of town because he'd lose one or two games a year - because those were the only couple games we were really in any danger of losing.

By the way, in case anyone hasn't noticed, we're not the only "good" team to get blown out in the last couple weeks:

#5 Georgia was getting blown out by 35 (@ #6 So. Carolina) before a meaningless late TD.

#5 West Virginia gets blown out 49-14 @ unranked Texas Tech - WVU put up nearly 60 ppg the previous two weeks before 14 today

#15 Texas was getting pounded 56-8 before taking on a couple late scores against OU

Doesn't make our losses any better but just goes to show that bad things happen all over, not just to us.

Lies, dam lies, and statistics.... Agreed, we need lots of work. The staff needs to implement some changes, and recruiting needs to pick it up a bit.

I get the level playing field each coach had compared to the other (apples and oranges from Devaney to Bo), however; the records are all products of their tenure at the helm- competing against like teams with similar restrictions at that snap shot in time. Look no further than to the little apple. i would venture to say our talent level is much higher than K-State, but I do not believe we could beat them 4/10 times this year.

Lies, dam lies, and statistics.... Agreed, we need lots of work. The staff needs to implement some changes, and recruiting needs to pick it up a bit.

I get the level playing field each coach had compared to the other (apples and oranges from Devaney to Bo), however; the records are all products of their tenure at the helm- competing against like teams with similar restrictions at that snap shot in time. Look no further than to the little apple. i would venture to say our talent level is much higher than K-State, but I do not believe we could beat them 4/10 times this year.

They are competing against teams under the same rules at their times but not equal across generations. Before the 85 scholarship limit, vastly expanded recruiting and everyone wanting to play from day 1, the best 15-20 teams in the country could stockpile all the talent. Now there is talent everywhere you look.