B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Born and raised in Colorado Springs, I can tell you that no one gives a crap about Kansas here in Colorado. I can assure you that Kansas has no pull in the Denver market. If you're a college football fan here, most likely you cheer for CU or Nebraska. Actually, Coloradans for Nebraska is the second biggest Husker fan group outside of Nebraska (California is No. 1).

Corn, if the BTN can get a foothold in one major and one minor metropolitan area by acquiring Kansas, then this is a big deal that would help bump Kansas towards the top of the list, in spite of their lack of football prowess.

Granted, I'd love to see some data on this Kansas/Denver link, but if it's true, this is a good thing for us and the conference, and too good to pass up.

One idea being throw around is after going to the 9 game schedule playing 4 games at home and on the road while play the one extra game at a "Neutral Site" which would obviously mean big pay outs to schools from NFL owners. Since we have almost half of the NFL stadiums as potential sites this could easily be done.

Does Kansas(if they are Big Ten bound) vs Nebraska in Kansas City sound appealing? How about Illinois vs Nebraska in Soldier Field or in the Edward Jones Dome?

It's appealing, but I would worry it wouldn't sell out. Most of the time, when Nebraska plays at Kansas, it's referred to as our "migration game", because you can just take Hwy. 77 down from Lincoln to Lawrence in a couple of hours...and because the Kansas fans would dump their tickets to us en masse.

Instead, how about Nebraska/Northwestern at Soldier Field? Or better yet, Nebraska/Wisky meeting every year in the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis? :)

From what I have been hearing from some guy in the know I would look for Kansas to eventually be in the Big Ten and the Big Ten to not stop at 16 if they get quality schools.

West Kansas is actually part of the DENVER market from what I understand(so that's Denver and Kansas City if you add them).

Another couple interesting tidbits this guy in the know said:

UNC really, really wants in the Big Ten as a institution(which surprised me a lot). Probably just needs to get alumni and fans aboard because I believe they would be pretty hesitant.

FSU is not being considered and Miami of Florida isn't either. UF would be the only school in Florida looked at but they aint going anywhere. This disappointed me a bit. what can you do. :(

Merry Christmas all!

I'm not sure how you came to the assumption that Western Kansas is part of the Denver TV market since all three major networks satellite from Wichita in that area.

http://en.wikipedia....tions_in_Kansas

Kansas to the BIG would do nothing for the Denver area other then the KU alumni already living there. Adding KU does not give you Denver. If anything, Nebraska already gave you the best chance to get Denver interest in the BIG since as already mentioned Nebraska has a large fan base in the Denver area.

Having said that, I'd take KU and UNC in a heartbeat. :)

I now have extreme gas from hearing about everyone talk about Kansas, UNC, Virginia, Duke, and all of the other schools who don't care about football. I previously had gas from hearing about everyone tout the additions of Rutgers and Maryland. Great!! Now instead of playing Ohio St we get to play Maryland, that sucks donkey.

I am tired of these additions for their market value. It does nothing for the quality of play on the football field, which is all I care about. Academics be damned, I don't care about that either. I want football schools, FSU Clemson.

Dont think it will happen, just needed to vent.

Well I read from a really good source that West Kansas was part of the Denver market.

Not some top secret thing just something that was brought up in Big Ten expansion.

Once again guys, No one is claiming that people in Denver watch Kansas football. It's a pro town anyway but you're missing the point.

Your point was bringing in Kansas to the BIG would add the Denver market which is simply false whether it's a pro town or not. Your really good source may very well be a very good source but they need to learn basic geography. Western KS is covered by Wichita. Wichita covers the KC pro teams, KU and Kstate. If the point is viewership this is why UNC is the most desirable, 10 million potential viewers .

I now have extreme gas from hearing about everyone talk about Kansas, UNC, Virginia, Duke, and all of the other schools who don't care about football. I previously had gas from hearing about everyone tout the additions of Rutgers and Maryland. Great!! Now instead of playing Ohio St we get to play Maryland, that sucks donkey.

I am tired of these additions for their market value. It does nothing for the quality of play on the football field, which is all I care about. Academics be damned, I don't care about that either. I want football schools, FSU Clemson.

Dont think it will happen, just needed to vent.

Probably a real good time to go pick an SEC to cheer for or that gas is going to get worse.

Well I read from a really good source that West Kansas was part of the Denver market.

Not some top secret thing just something that was brought up in Big Ten expansion.

Once again guys, No one is claiming that people in Denver watch Kansas football. It's a pro town anyway but you're missing the point.

No, we get it--as long as the market is considered to be part of the conference footprint, the BTN and B1G can soak the city for higher carrier rates and charge more for advertising.

I just think its a stretch for folks to consider west Kansas as part of the Denver market due to the map. Are there any links you could provide that substantiate this?

Frankly, if this is the case, it would explain why NC and KS came up in the OWH as the next two likely B1G targets.

---

Re: Kansas and their buyout, a family lawyer following this brought up a good point about how Kansas will walk away from the Big XII without media rights problems or excessive exit fees: we already saw Texass and the Big XII blink when it was discussed that DoNU could go to court over exit fees because they have information and discussions about conference realignment they don't want made public (anyone remember Beebe's "oops" email?).

All of this info, including any discussions since, could become a matter of public record if Kansas threatens to go to court.

Unfortunately I can't. It's premium content on another site I was checking out.

I see like HSKR was saying that West Kansas was covered by Wichita but the most updated info on that was from 2006-2007 from what I'm seeing. I don't know if anything has been updated or not. What I didn't know is that part of Nebraska is part of the Denver market.

The GoR will not be an issue for Kansas or any other school wanting to get out of the Big XII. All they need is to go to the state capital and have some politicians write up a bit of legislation to get them out of it.

I misread what this dude said. He said that Western Kansas is covered by the Denver cable carriers. Which is not the same as market. Pittsburgh is covered by my Central Ohio Cable.

Anyway, the Big Ten powers that be want to get to 20 with :

KU

Mizzou

UVA

UNC

GIT

ND or Texas in the last spot

I misread what this dude said. He said that Western Kansas is covered by the Denver cable carriers. Which is not the same as market. Pittsburgh is covered by my Central Ohio Cable.

Anyway, the Big Ten powers that be want to get to 20 with :

KU

Mizzou

UVA

UNC

GIT

ND or Texas in the last spot

That would be a decent group of additions. The only problem with that is the SEC will come in and grab OU, OKSt, FSU, Clemson, Texas (assuming the B1G gets ND), Louisville, and VaTech. I wonder which one will be viewed as the better set of moves....

FSU, Louisville and Clemson won't get into the SEC. UF, UK and So Carolina will keep them out.

Texas and OU not going to the Big Ten means they either stay in a Big XII and just keep adding crappy Texas teams or go to the Pac-12.

Fixed for accuracy, courtesy of America's meth-belt state, West Virginia...and America's favorite historical polygamists, BYU. :)