B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Johns Hopkins is a research juggernaut but reporting wise the numbers are skewed a bit because of the fact that research funding for the Applied Physics Lab (a defense contractor which accounts for half of all research at JHU) is included in the academic research #s because the lab isn't classified as a FFRL. Funding dollars for similar labs at Berkeley, MIT, U. Chicago, etc aren't included in the official numbers because of the FFRL classification. Of course, I think they'll keep the #1 distinction even if you take those numbers away but it won't be the big gap that it currently looks like if you look at the rankings.

Either way, CIC may help JHU in increasing non-defense related research.

The medical school also gets a huge sum of money, I believe it is the largest beneficiary of NIH funding (if not the largest, in the very top). But of course, if the amount of money a school has or brings in were the only measure of quality then Texas would be the third best university behind Harvard and Yale. eyeswear2allthatsholy

But in seriousness, the CIC is not a consortium that a school joins simply to increase research dollars (not even the point of the CIC).

Johns Hopkins is a research juggernaut but reporting wise the numbers are skewed a bit because of the fact that research funding for the Applied Physics Lab (a defense contractor which accounts for half of all research at JHU) is included in the academic research #s because the lab isn't classified as a FFRL. Funding dollars for similar labs at Berkeley, MIT, U. Chicago, etc aren't included in the official numbers because of the FFRL classification. Of course, I think they'll keep the #1 distinction even if you take those numbers away but it won't be the big gap that it currently looks like if you look at the rankings.

Either way, CIC may help JHU in increasing non-defense related research.

Just spoke with a buddy of mine that teaches at JHU and he was talking about that today. He said approximately 50% of JHU research funding goes to the APL, which isn't even part of the academic arm of the institution. But of course, 50% of that money taken off still puts them right at the top of research dollars coming in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like UVA will be the first piece to move to the Big Ten.

Nothing unexpected but some good Buckeye sources(plus the word around UVA forums) are relaying this

UVA/Big Ten must know the UMD exit fee or are in the ballpark.

Virginia to the Big Ten is done. signed and sealed.

Very good news for recruiting.

tons of talent(particularly top talent) in the state.

So, what ever became of this? Still waiting on exit fees? If the UT/OU deal is in the works are we skipping 16 and going straight to 18?

Well this started a buzz again....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/22952413/best-of-college-footballs-preseason-media-days

'Big Ten expansion: It isn't done. That's about all I can say. Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned.'

Is Dodd credible? Hope this doesn't mean Uconn and Missouri.

Looks like UVA will be the first piece to move to the Big Ten.

Nothing unexpected but some good Buckeye sources(plus the word around UVA forums) are relaying this

UVA/Big Ten must know the UMD exit fee or are in the ballpark.

Virginia to the Big Ten is done. signed and sealed.

Very good news for recruiting.

tons of talent(particularly top talent) in the state.

So, what ever became of this? Still waiting on exit fees? If the UT/OU deal is in the works are we skipping 16 and going straight to 18?

apparently UVA is still in contact with Chicago. They had an agreement but then they signed the ACC GoR. The only thing I can think of is that they couldn't find a partner to tango with the Big Ten.

Carolina runs the ACC and they have their rivals in Duke. Hard to give that up. Texas likes it.