B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

I suppose given the landscape now, if I were Delany, I would make a run at Missouri and maybe even Vanderbilt. They aren't the sexiest picks but it would be cool to see him poke the SEC in the eye. Cincinnati and Connecticut from the Big East do not give you much so I don't see the draw there.

Unless where someone eluded to earlier or on another thread that Texas would not agree to anything they couldn't get out of, then this would be the direction to go.

Yeah, because the pride of the SEC lies on the shoulders of Mizzou and Vanderbilt....

That would be a bad move IMO. If we can't add some quality members, I would prefer the conference stay at 14 (or 12 since Rutgers and Maryland aren't worth a damn) instead of diluting it even more with crappy schools.

No one said the pride of the SEC lies on the shoulders of Mizzery or Vandy--just that their acquisition by the B1G would force the SEC to destroy GORs in a bid to replace one or both teams. Nothing more, nothing less. Mizzery and/or Vandy would simply be pawns to further expansion efforts by the B1G.

And Lee's right about Texass--there's nothing Texass won't sign that they can't get out of. Oily vermin are always oily vermin.

The best shot of Big Ten smoothly integrating ACC schools is for those areas to 'un-Southernize'. That's pretty much what happened to Maryland the past 5 decades due to all the implants that flocked to the DC area and Northern Virginia has more in common with NY and the Midwest than the deep South.

Doesn't matter as long as there's a GOR. The whole of New York state could emigrate to Florida, and FSU still wouldn't be able to leave because of the ACC's GOR. Until GORs are brought down in court, no one moves--it's just a question of who has the time, money, and desire to make it happen.

I suppose given the landscape now, if I were Delany, I would make a run at Missouri and maybe even Vanderbilt. They aren't the sexiest picks but it would be cool to see him poke the SEC in the eye. Cincinnati and Connecticut from the Big East do not give you much so I don't see the draw there.

Unless where someone eluded to earlier or on another thread that Texas would not agree to anything they couldn't get out of, then this would be the direction to go.

Yeah, because the pride of the SEC lies on the shoulders of Mizzou and Vanderbilt....

That would be a bad move IMO. If we can't add some quality members, I would prefer the conference stay at 14 (or 12 since Rutgers and Maryland aren't worth a damn) instead of diluting it even more with crappy schools.

If there is someone bigger and is an AAU member and they are interested in switching, then I am for that too. Just don't see it happening.

No one said the pride of the SEC lies on the shoulders of Mizzery or Vandy--just that their acquisition by the B1G would force the SEC to destroy GORs in a bid to replace one or both teams. Nothing more, nothing less. Mizzery and/or Vandy would simply be pawns to further expansion efforts by the B1G.

Exactly. So we would take 2 of the weaker schools from the SEC, and in turn, they would sweep in and grab powerhouse schools from the ACC or Big 12 like FSU, NC, OU, Texas, etc. To the Delaney faithful, these moves by the B1G look good. To the rest of the country who see it for what it is, it's a joke.

The best shot of Big Ten smoothly integrating ACC schools is for those areas to 'un-Southernize'. That's pretty much what happened to Maryland the past 5 decades due to all the implants that flocked to the DC area and Northern Virginia has more in common with NY and the Midwest than the deep South.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty slow process and I think the only likely state to 'flip' is Virginia a decade or two down the road. Some other states have pockets of 'Northernness' to them (Atlanta, Miami, Research Triangle Park) but I doubt that'll be enough to push anyone out of a conference.

Of course, I suppose there's some chance that Pitt, Syracuse, and BC brings about a culture change to the ACC but uh...I wouldn't bet on it.

How "Southern" is the new ACC?

I know the power is in the south but Pitt, Lville, Cuse,ND? Virginia is becoming less "southern" as a state and Miami has never been southern culturally.

Exactly. So we would take 2 of the weaker schools from the SEC, and in turn, they would sweep in and grab powerhouse schools from the ACC or Big 12 like FSU, NC, OU, Texas, etc. To the Delaney faithful, these moves by the B1G look good. To the rest of the country who see it for what it is, it's a joke.

The point is that the SEC would not be able to do anything for 10+ years because they would have to convince a school to break the GOR from that conference. The difference is that the SEC has no such agreement. By all accounts, B1G, Big XII, and ACC could in theory start to poach from the SEC without any retaliation from the SEC or anywhere else because all of the schools at other conferences teams are locked up. One would have to presume that there would be schools interested in leaving for it to happen and my guess is that there are not many. Look, this is just fun talk. No one really knows what the hell is going to happen.

• Fire 1

How "Southern" is the new ACC?

I know the power is in the south but Pitt, Lville, Cuse,ND? Virginia is becoming less "southern" as a state and Miami has never been southern culturally.

I don't disagree with you (although I feel like Kentucky is more Southern than Midwestern) - however the identity of the ACC has been the ol' boys club of the Southern Elite. If that ever goes away, then schools in the ACC will be in a situation like the BXII - a group of schools at each others throats but held together by necessity more so than fit.

As a life long Big Ten fan, I was exicted by the PSU and NU additions. Maryland and Rutgers not so much, but I figured there was a plan in that move to flush some bigger fish or at least one with a mid-tier partner. I really hate beign stuck at 14 with 7 per division. Dont play each other enough. Nine games fit very well with the 16 team pod system, but not with 14.

Also you can forget about any non-AAU schools outside of FSU, ND and maybe OU. I probably shouldn't include OU as part of that group. FSU is there only because I have heard they are working toward applying for AAU membership. I think we are stuck for awhile

Seems to me if any of the rumors were true about Virginia, GT and NC they just dissed the Big Ten. Or maybe the rumors were false, which is more likely the case.

The point is that the SEC would not be able to do anything for 10+ years because they would have to convince a school to break the GOR from that conference. The difference is that the SEC has no such agreement. By all accounts, B1G, Big XII, and ACC could in theory start to poach from the SEC without any retaliation from the SEC or anywhere else because all of the schools at other conferences teams are locked up. One would have to presume that there would be schools interested in leaving for it to happen and my guess is that there are not many. Look, this is just fun talk. No one really knows what the hell is going to happen.

Even though vandy and Meth U aren't all that sexy, they bring things to the B1G that are competitive. Meth U has baseball, wrestling, basketball; Vandy has baseball and academics. The one good thing about this would also be what is highlighted above. The B1G redoes their contract in 2016 and is expected to be for a lot more money, you add in Meth U and vandy, you add in the #21, 29 and 31st largest TV markets in the country to negotiate with along with the others the B1G has already. The SEC won't be able to do any other expansions unless it breaks the GORs or waits it out. This would play big time into our favor.

• Fire 1

Even though vandy and Meth U aren't all that sexy, they bring things to the B1G that are competitive. Meth U has baseball, wrestling, basketball; Vandy has baseball and academics. The one good thing about this would also be what is highlighted above. The B1G redoes their contract in 2016 and is expected to be for a lot more money, you add in Meth U and vandy, you add in the #21, 29 and 31st largest TV markets in the country to negotiate with along with the others the B1G has already. The SEC won't be able to do any other expansions unless it breaks the GORs or waits it out. This would play big time into our favor.

Stumpy gets it. Kudos.

Remember, a lot of this is PR bulls**t. Delaney can't be the one going around challenging GORs, especially since his conference has one in place, and it would sully relations with any other conference (ACC, Big XII, Pac-12/16) that has one in place.

But the B1G can trick the SEC into doing the dirty work for them. And Delaney would only make this move if he had something else to keep everyone in the B1G in place instead of a GOR...and having *THE* best media contract of any conference, bar none, may be more than enough to do that.

Stumpy gets it. Kudos.

Remember, a lot of this is PR bulls**t. Delaney can't be the one going around challenging GORs, especially since his conference has one in place, and it would sully relations with any other conference (ACC, Big XII, Pac-12/16) that has one in place.

But the B1G can trick the SEC into doing the dirty work for them. And Delaney would only make this move if he had something else to keep everyone in the B1G in place instead of a GOR...and having *THE* best media contract of any conference, bar none, may be more than enough to do that.

Hey! I said the same thing on post #1041 and I get no love? FML

I was really hoping for a southern outpost of the B1G with GT and FSU which by all accounts appears to be between Slim and None and Slim just rode out of town. Vandy and Missouri are the only SEC teams that the B1G would have a remote shot at and I would say they are out of the discussion. So that leaves the likes of Kansas and some red-headed step child program if the B1G were to go to the desirable 16. So do the B1G and SEC really stay at 14?

I was really hoping for a southern outpost of the B1G with GT and FSU which by all accounts appears to be between Slim and None and Slim just rode out of town. Vandy and Missouri are the only SEC teams that the B1G would have a remote shot at and I would say they are out of the discussion. So that leaves the likes of Kansas and some red-headed step child program if the B1G were to go to the desirable 16. So do the B1G and SEC really stay at 14?

Kansas isn't available because the Big XII has a GOR. Again, SEC beaks GOR, and it's the Wild West for everyone in expansion--if no one breaks the GOR, then we're locked into the current conferences for a while.

Vandy is a complete longshot and not likely. Missouri, on the other hand, has a rivalry with two B1G teams and is starting to realize their delusions of grandeur in the SEC were meth-induced.

What boggles the mind in all this is Virginia--they were all on board the B1G bandwagon, cancelled a series with Penn State because they were ready to jump then, and then someone or something got to them and they agreed to the GOR.

Granted, some of the other sites are saying the GOR is only an agreement in principle right now, and not signed for another few weeks yet--if so, perhaps there's still room for Virginia to leave, provided the settlement of the Maryland/ACC tiff? :dunno

Hey! I said the same thing on post #1041 and I get no love? FML

My bad, St. Paul Husker. You did say something similar, and I missed it. My apologies.