B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

I suppose given the landscape now, if I were Delany, I would make a run at Missouri and maybe even Vanderbilt. They aren't the sexiest picks but it would be cool to see him poke the SEC in the eye. Cincinnati and Connecticut from the Big East do not give you much so I don't see the draw there.

Unless where someone eluded to earlier or on another thread that Texas would not agree to anything they couldn't get out of, then this would be the direction to go.

Yeah, because the pride of the SEC lies on the shoulders of Mizzou and Vanderbilt....

That would be a bad move IMO. If we can't add some quality members, I would prefer the conference stay at 14 (or 12 since Rutgers and Maryland aren't worth a damn) instead of diluting it even more with crappy schools.

Other than poaching a few Mid Majors and as much as I hate to say this, I believe Texass is the key to all of this. If indeed it comes down to "Super" conferences the logical winners would appear to be The PAC, SEC and the BIG. The ACC, as much as I would have loved to have had some schools join, pretty much told the BIG that they are not a cultural fit. They are still and will be for some time a "Southern" area. So give up the ACC to the SEC. Now what. Although Texass is in the south, they have more in common with Midwestern (western) values than say Mississippi. I am not saying the BIG needs to dumb down their academics, and I am not putting Texass in that category, but with them you get the bonus of some other Big llX schools that don't fit the profile. That being said, the BIG has to go southwest. May 2 will tell more as the SEC and ESPN announce the new network. Now you will have 3 major networks, BTN, PAC and SEC and the Big llX will be on the outside wanting in.

yea if were going to go after the SEC to force their hand. Then lets go for slightly bigger fish then Missery and Vanderbilt. Obviously Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida won't go anywhere. Maybe but highly unlikely we could get a combo of Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina or Arkansas. now I highly doubt any would be interested in moving away form SEC.

Is it just me, or does it seem like looking to the Rutgers' and Marylands for expansion gets jumped to too much of a conclusion as not being so great?

I look at it from a standpoint that Delaney has a long-term vision. Sure, Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri, and Vanderbilt dont sound like much now, but what could/would they be with a big time conference with big time money behind 'em? What could they develop into? If we're not able to get a big name, we have to start somewhere.

yea if were going to go after the SEC to force their hand. Then lets go for slightly bigger fish then Missery and Vanderbilt. Obviously Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida won't go anywhere. Maybe but highly unlikely we could get a combo of Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina or Arkansas. now I highly doubt any would be interested in moving away form SEC.

HAHA! I can only imagine the reaction Bielema would have if Arkansas moved to the B1G :lol:

Obviously, Texas and OU would be the biggest gold mine of all IMO (especially us being Husker fans with hopes of rekindling the rivalry with OU). FSU would be a jackpot too. All of those might be a little unlikely though.

Is it just me, or does it seem like looking to the Rutgers' and Marylands for expansion gets jumped to too much of a conclusion as not being so great?

I look at it from a standpoint that Delaney has a long-term vision. Sure, Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri, and Vanderbilt dont sound like much now, but what could/would they be with a big time conference with big time money behind 'em? What could they develop into? If we're not able to get a big name, we have to start somewhere.

If you can't get big name schools, then why expand more at all? The B1G (Delaney) is behind the steering wheel in this conference realignment thing, and Delaney keeps stomping on the gas pedal.

HAHA! I can only imagine the reaction Bielema would have if Arkansas moved to the B1G :lol:

Obviously, Texas and OU would be the biggest gold mine of all IMO (especially us being Husker fans with hopes of rekindling the rivalry with OU). FSU would be a jackpot too. All of those might be a little unlikely though.

lol I didn't even think of Bielema. I bet that would be a defukt type moment for him. I agree there a lot bigger fish i'd like to see then who I mentioned.

If you can't get big name schools, then why expand more at all? The B1G (Delaney) is behind the steering wheel in this conference realignment thing, and Delaney keeps stomping on the gas pedal.

Becuase it's an inevitable part of life. If Delaney and the Big10 are not going to instagate it and stay ahead of the curve, then he'll be the one falling behind (see ACC, Big East, Big 12). Youre either a leader or a follower. There is no in between. Who knows what Rutgers and Maryland will develop into with the prestige and money of the Big 10 next to their name. It's just my mindset of taking a "wait and see" approach as opposed to throwing it under the bus right off the bat. And lastly, these things are just way too much viewed as a football-only situation when it is actually so much more than that.

• Fire 1

Becuase it's an inevitable part of life. If Delaney and the Big10 are not going to instagate it and stay ahead of the curve, then he'll be the one falling behind (see ACC, Big East, Big 12). Youre either a leader or a follower. There is no in between. Who knows what Rutgers and Maryland will develop into with the prestige and money of the Big 10 next to their name. It's just my mindset of taking a "wait and see" approach as opposed to throwing it under the bus right off the bat. And lastly, these things are just way too much viewed as a football-only situation when it is actually so much more than that.

I get that, and I'm open-minded to the possibility that those 2 programs could develop fine football teams in the future, but I have no confidence in that. The money and prestige of the B1G hasn't exactly done wonders for Indiana, Purdue, etc. When a team is crap, a team is crap.

And I get that we are supposedly leading the pack, but sweeping up the mighty Scarlet Knights and Terrapins is VERY underwhelming, and from the viewpoint of people who follow other conferences, that move looks like a joke.

True they can develop into decent expansion choices. But they could of also just been a ploy to force other conferences so Delaney can pick up teams he truely wanted from broken conferences. Such as Florida State and North Carlina from ACC or Texas and Oklahoma from Big 12. But either way I agree we do need to use the wait and see approach to see how things develop over time.

True they can develop into decent expansion choices. But they could of also just been a ploy to force other conferences so Delaney can pick up teams he truely wanted from broken conferences. Such as Florida State and North Carlina from ACC or Texas and Oklahoma from Big 12. But either way I agree we do need to use the wait and see approach to see how things develop over time.

Yes. And that is the chess game that's going on here. He's being pro-active. Delaney is not stupid. The Big10 maybe a little down in football right now from a national standpoint, but the Big 10 is still a growing god-damn empire, and Delaney has a huge hand in that. I tending to trust whatever it is he's got in mind. He has decided that the Big10 members will NOT be a group on the outside looking in when this re-alignment dust settles.

The Rutgers and Maryland moves were good for the conference. 100% sure of it. It makes what were ACC/Big East areas into Big Ten recruiting grounds.

Maryland has a national title in football. sure it was decades ago but the tradition is there and they have a recruiting base(with the #1 2014 recruit right in their backyard). They have a hungry fanbase and with sexier schools coming into Byrd Stadium every year the momentum will pick up.

Rutgers is a sleeping giant. Not like UCLA or A&M big but they have potential to be a big player. Big school in a big money state with a lot of potential big money boosters(and that is the key to every successful program). They will be playing Bigger, better teams now. The hype will pick up.

• Fire 1

Yes. And that is the chess game that's going on here. He's being pro-active. Delaney is not stupid. The Big10 maybe a little down in football right now from a national standpoint, but the Big 10 is still a growing god-damn empire, and Delaney has a huge hand in that. I tending to trust whatever it is he's got in mind. He has decided that the Big10 members will NOT be a group on the outside looking in when this re-alignment dust settles.

I agree I trust what Delaney is doing as well. I'm not dissapointed with Maryland and Rutgers, but i'm not overly excited about them as well. I think they have a lot of potential. We will just have to wait and see.

The best shot of Big Ten smoothly integrating ACC schools is for those areas to 'un-Southernize'. That's pretty much what happened to Maryland the past 5 decades due to all the implants that flocked to the DC area and Northern Virginia has more in common with NY and the Midwest than the deep South.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty slow process and I think the only likely state to 'flip' is Virginia a decade or two down the road. Some other states have pockets of 'Northernness' to them (Atlanta, Miami, Research Triangle Park) but I doubt that'll be enough to push anyone out of a conference.

Of course, I suppose there's some chance that Pitt, Syracuse, and BC brings about a culture change to the ACC but uh...I wouldn't bet on it.