B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

interesting developments/rumors. So IF Virginia, GA Tech, and FSU are all prospecting towards the B1G, that would put pressure on UNC or maybe even ND to get on board? Sounds a lot like the Texas/Big 12 implosion. Some of the major players left, some stayed, and you are left with a smaller, less powerful conference that is overpaid by ESPN just to exist outside of the superconferences. We can only hope.

Today FSU submitted their plan to the Big Ten to upgrade their academics and get to AAU status within 5 years.

I'm starting to think this may come about.

I think FSU would be huge, and when packaged with UVA, UNC, and GIT would make a nice "Eastern Division" of some kind. We could go head-to-head with the SEC in several new markets and own DC. Assuming the SEC and Big 12 would compete for the rest of the ACC. Nice scenario for ND. Armageddon.

• Fire 2

Why would anyone want an 18 team conference? Even with a 9 game schedule you'd barely play half of the other teams. It is like dissolving the conference, subtraction by addition. Hard to forge any kind of rivalries when you only play certain teams once every 6 years. Rutgers, One of the greatest things about college football is the rivalries, and I just hate seeing the classic ones die. With all these teams the original Big Ten will have a conference slate full of Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and another East Coast team instead of all of their traditional rivals. I hate it.

Why would anyone want an 18 team conference? Even with a 9 game schedule you'd barely play half of the other teams. It is like dissolving the conference, subtraction by addition. Hard to forge any kind of rivalries when you only play certain teams once every 6 years. Rutgers, One of the greatest things about college football is the rivalries, and I just hate seeing the classic ones die. With all these teams the original Big Ten will have a conference slate full of Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and another East Coast team instead of all of their traditional rivals. I hate it.

You just answered exactly why an 18 or even 20 team conference is good. This will helps us play the other close teams in our half every year. We should be playing teams like Wisconsin and Illinois every year right now. This will help insure that. Then instead of having three or some years four non conference fluff games, you go to a 10 game conference schedule and play Florida State or GT instead South Dakota State or do you think the Jackrabbits make a better rival for Nebraska? Better schedule, more money, I love it. Big picture people!

Things change. College football has changed to the point of no return. Some things suck, like not playing Oklahoma after Thanksgiving. Some things are far better, like a playoff versus the #1 and #2 teams playing in different bowls. Just be glad we are in the B1G and no longer under Bevo's Thumb.

• Fire 1

You just answered exactly why an 18 or even 20 team conference is good. This will helps us play the other close teams in our half every year. We should be playing teams like Wisconsin and Illinois every year right now. This will help insure that. Then instead of having three or some years four non conference fluff games, you go to a 10 game conference schedule and play Florida State or GT instead South Dakota State or do you think the Jackrabbits make a better rival for Nebraska? Better schedule, more money, I love it. Big picture people!

Eventually factions will form between the two halves as the eastern half notices their area is tougher. Disagreements form and eventually someone suggests "what if we struck out on our own?" the best teams in the east talk about it and realize they haven't much affiliation with the west teams that they play twice a decade, and the conference breaks up. That's the big picture.

Eventually factions will form between the two halves as the eastern half notices their area is tougher. Disagreements form and eventually someone suggests "what if we struck out on our own?" the best teams in the east talk about it and realize they haven't much affiliation with the west teams that they play twice a decade, and the conference breaks up. That's the big picture.

Yes, they are going to break up and each start making half or even a third of the tv money they were making in the BIG. :lol:

I think it's time for someone to put down the green beer for the night or at least go back over to shaggy and berate the BIG there.

Yes, they are going to break up and each start making half or even a third of the tv money they were making in the BIG. :lol:

I think it's time for someone to put down the green beer for the night or at least go back over to shaggy and berate the BIG there.

Feel free to reply to me over there too, I don't snitch.

Feel free to reply to me over there too, I don't snitch.

Na, I'm a huskerboard guy but please feel free to say the same things you say over there on this board. :)

Yes, it is unthinkable that half the conference would break off and form their own conference. It's not like that literally just happened with the Big East.

To get to the amount of teams needed for your two conferences within a conference we would have to almost entirely annex the ACC. I don't see it happening. A conference schedule of 10 games is also quite unappealing. Both of those non conference games would be against absolute nobodies and there would be no interaction with the other major conferences. While I think it's kind of cool to play regional FCS teams (except SDSU, I hate that school and town with every fiber of my being), we need to actually play the other major conferences to help better the national perception of our conference. Bowl season is not enough, not that it has helped the conference in the last decade anyways.

And this is why people shouldn't balk when the Big Ten wants to add likeminded institutions.

The Big East fell apart because there were too many differences between members and it was set up only as an athletic relationship.

what does St Johns have in common with West Virginia or Miami? absolutely nothing. Does Villanova have the same athletic and academic goals as Virginia Tech? nope.

Syracuse vs Georgetown is nice on the court(even though before the late 80's Syracuse's real rival was St. Bonaventure) but somehow I can't see to many collaborations between the schools outside of that arena. Big Ten schools do almost everything together academically and athletically(when they can)

• Fire 1

Yes, it is unthinkable that half the conference would break off and form their own conference. It's not like that literally just happened with the Big East.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, in which case:

:LOLtartar

Yes, the Big East split up. Partly because of the reasons that Woody just explained, but also because the Big East was a horribly run conference that offered nothing of value to its members compared to other conferences. The B1G's payouts to each of its members will be enormous when it is all said and done, and I think if the remainder of the conference shapes out like it appears it is going to, the B1G is in damn good shape going forward. If FSU, UNC, UVA, and ND finish out the B1G, that's a scary powerful and scary rich conference.

Yes, the Big East split up. Partly because of the reasons that Woody just explained, but also because the Big East was a horribly run conference that offered nothing of value to its members compared to other conferences. The B1G's payouts to each of its members will be enormous when it is all said and done, and I think if the remainder of the conference shapes out like it appears it is going to, the B1G is in damn good shape going forward. If FSU, UNC, UVA, and ND finish out the B1G, that's a scary powerful and scary rich conference.

It seems fine now, but once all of that money is a given and half of the conference thinks that it could do better on its own perhaps trouble will come for the Big Ten.

It seems fine now, but once all of that money is a given and half of the conference thinks that it could do better on its own perhaps trouble will come for the Big Ten.

Isn't one of the strategies of B1G expansion to get schools that do well in academics? I would think that this would cut down on the delusion that it would take for them to take that mindset. The B1G has the money, and they have the leverage, as well as the name brand that is still very strong and growing through this expansion.

• 2 weeks later...