Binders-deal or no deal

The Mormon thing already happened. I personally think its appalling to do that but to each their own or when in Rome I suppose.

To Sker' what is exactly a lie? That he didn't get binders, that all the applicants were men, that W omens groups gave the binders unsolicited into Romney's hands? And your complaining that his last two years he failed to keep his percentage up to 44%, for all we know those women left to get other jobs prior to him finishing his full term. It happens all the time in politics, people move on.

So, let me get this straight.

He looked at all the applicants and there weren't any women. So, he went to women's organizations and asked them for help and they provided aplicants.

This is a bad thing?

Replace women with "minorities" and listen to the GOP howl about injustice and racism.

I think it's a great thing that he wanted to include women and specifically sought them out. How do you feel about it? How do you feel about affirmative action?

To Sker' what is exactly a lie? That he didn't get binders, that all the applicants were men, that W omens groups gave the binders unsolicited into Romney's hands?

I think a lot of it is focused on the fact that Mitt said that he "asked" for the binders full of female candidates when the woman's group claims that they offered them without solicitation.

FWIW, I don't think that it matters.

Oh come on Carl. That is degrading to women in general. They were hired because he felt they were the best applicants for the job. People all the time request more candidates for a job if they are not satisfied with the initial group. It would be irrational for someone not forced to hire women, to hire women solely based on their gender.

Oh come on Carl. That is degrading to women in general.

What was degrading?

They were hired because he felt they were the best applicants for the job. People all the time request more candidates for a job if they are not satisfied with the initial group. It would be irrational for someone not forced to hire women, to hire women solely based on their gender.

nod.gif

Whoa. Go read the transcript.

If this is how you really feel then your opinion about Romney's comments about women might change.

If they didn't give him the binders directly he may never have known about them. He just said he asked for more female applicants for the positions. I don't think he was trying to say he called up "Sally" from Women's group 1 and "joan" from Women's group #2 and told them to give him binders of female applicants. He told his staff to find viable applicants who were women to help fill roles in this administration.

Side note, I have no problem with a company looking for competent minorities(gender or race) to fill positions. But I have a problem if people are promoted or hired based solely on their skin color, race, sexual orientation over another more deserving applicant. The thing about discrimination is it is blind to all.

i agree, it was a good thing he focused on hiring women. i think he is a little disingenuous in his memory of it, but he did hire many women to diversify his cabinet and he deserves credit for that.

although, it was a total deflection regarding the question, which was how he feels about equal pay for equal work. maybe he wanted to hire so many women because he only had to pay them 72% of the going rate. a true fiscal conservative.

Side note, I have no problem with a company looking for competent minorities(gender or race) to fill positions. But I have a problem if people are promoted or hired based solely on their skin color, race, sexual orientation over another more deserving applicant. The thing about discrimination is it is blind to all.

Do you have a problem with rejecting a group of qualified male applicants . . . and sending your staff out to look for female applicants instead . . . because you want to find some qualified female applicants?

That's what Romney said that he did.

Romney didn't go out looking for these ladies, the women's group approached him. They did the legwork, they created the binders, and they contacted both candidates during the gubernatorial election to ensure each would be willing to hire women in their administrations.

Romney's claim that he discovered there weren't enough women in his pool is false:

“We contacted both candidates before the final election,” said Liz Levin, who was chairman of MassGAP until 2010. “This was an effort that we put our hearts in. We wanted to make sure that people knew how many good, qualified, terrific ladies there were.”

Romney agreed to work with the group, Levin said, and he appointed Kerry Healey, the incoming lieutenant governor, to be the liaison to MassGAP. Several weeks after the election, they presented several hundred applicants to Healey, said Levin, who is an Obama supporter but stressed that MassGAP is a bipartisan group.

LINK

Its degrading to say that they were hired only because they are women. Regardless of what you think about Romney.

I read the transcript, he said they wanted to find female candidates to fill positions in his cabinet. I was wrong about the calling women's groups, he did say he called them.

Sidebar, I am beginning to understand how hard it is to talk about some of this without saying something that sounds horribly wrong. Like fill positions on his staff. :bad

Its degrading to say that they were hired only because they are women. Regardless of what you think about Romney.

Who said that they were only hired because they were women? I think I specifically said that they were qualified. Romney said that he rejected a group of qualified men and asked that his staff find qualified women. Do you have a problem with that?

I read the transcript, he said they wanted to find female candidates to fill positions in his cabinet.

Yes, he did. He also said that he had a group of qualified male applicants and that he wanted his people to go find him some qualified women instead.

Because he wanted to fill the pool of candidates before he picked them. He didn't reject men and then go looking for women, he said that men had a far larger number of applicants than women. So he asked for more to be considered. Is that how it happened, IDK, but that is how it should and how he said it did. Your implication that the women he chose to fill positions were inferior to their male counterparts is degrading to the women who were hired. Unless you have facts that say male candidate x was better suited for the position than female candidate w. Then I can agree he hired them for the wrong reason.